• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Is there a common denominator to INTPs' line of interest?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I've read some INTP descriptions on the web. Some of them I find questionable. For example, some INTPs are described as Engineers, but isn't Engineering too Te extensive?

I don't know. Some members here do score high on both Te's and Ti's, but I find the two to be too polarized to be strong both on an INTP.

Or maybe the Ne/Ti is somehow giving an impression on an INTP that he can handle the Te workload.

I gave up on Te years ago. For one, I realized that just because I can be good at it, it wouldn't give that much leverage in the long run if I never really liked it.

I actually liked Humanities more, actually. It encompasses the softer sciences, gives more room for Ne/Ti, doesn't have the J accountability, and being human in nature, it has better potential to sustain a learner's interest longer.

For the longest time, I've always considered INTPs to have the spirited nature of artisans while having the intellectual prowess of someone...err...academic/corporate, where the humanities act as a bridgeway.

I get bored easily as a stereotypical INTP, and I dont see how things like triple integrals in calculus can sustain an INTPs interest, let alone make a career out of it.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I actually liked Humanities more, actually. It encompasses the softer sciences, gives more room for Ne/Ti, doesn't have the J accountability, and being human in nature, it has better potential to sustain a learner's interest longer.

I love the humanities. Philosophy, psychology, sociology.. I could spend my life in those classes. I'm even considering changing majors. I was going the typical business route focused on finance, but after realizing how interesting philosophy and psychology are and how boring accounting is, I'm thinking about taking up a career in academia.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I love the humanities. Philosophy, psychology, sociology.. I could spend my life in those classes. I'm even considering changing majors. I was going the typical business route focused on finance, but after realizing how interesting philosophy and psychology are and how boring accounting is, I'm thinking about taking up a career in academia.

My first love, in personal, independent research - when I was 12 - 15 years old - was psychology. In college, I was flirting with an anthropology minor.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I have always preferred the humanities.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I believe it is the force of Ne. I speculate that Ti can accept info from other sources, however (don't say anything but) those other sources would be vague due to there transparency. Why take in info from a newspaper printed a few days ago. IMO, not knockin anybody.

When i was young i was interested in psych too. i did not go to college. In a way i learned alot about psych via very different sorts of folks as appossed to books. Don't get me wrong, I am leanin on the idea that mbti can help me make a decision with very little time to make it if i know more about preferences along with every other crazy action made by sane humans in an environment created by fate. Sane humans that become temperarily insane in an environment that begs that calling.

INTPs (imo) common denominator is found in (ta or rik/ik) in an ancient language. It is, what english has labeled, a partitive suffix. PARTITIVE suffix. It's got P all over it. Inturn, the Ps inluence in INTP dominates with special gratitude to Ne.

Don't let that Fe get too mature either. Because if you ever bump into an imminent situation (as in guns are involved) you'll wish you hadn't.:)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Architect more than engineer. At least in conception, engineering involves more Te -- specific concrete thought and logistical problem resolution and hard math. Architect is more design-oriented in how it's approached, thinking on a more global level. It's more Ti/Ne to look at things from a definition and big-picture perspective, as well as mixing form and function.

I am interested in anything complex, that can capture my brain and imagination, and I like things that merge beauty and truth. I think the degree of this can vary from INTP to INTP, depending on the S/Te function strength (so some will find this in computer code or hard science for example, and others with perhaps more N function strength need a broader more artistic/evocative focus).

What fascinates me about human behavior and sociology/psychology is the same thing that captures my passion when I sit on the Pacific coast and watch the clouds and surf swirl about in complicated patterns that bely their external chaos. There is truth there, some sort of pattern that might be discerned if you were just smart or perceptive enough, but it's hard to take it all in.

deleted
Just an NT thing I read.

They own a well-developed analytical and inventive thinking, vivid imagination, even when their real occupations (e.g. a farm owner) is not relevant to abstract speculations. Their interests are various; often they even have knowledge that seems redundant to others, for the reason that it may be useful one day. They think a lot and often offer unusual, non-standard solutions. The Achilles’ heel of Researches (exactly what they must sacrifice for their perfect mental skills) is that they are often tactless in relations with people. They can find brilliant solutions, but get stuck at their implementation, because of awkwardness in handling the human factor, as well as of forgetting “those boring details”.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Architect more than engineer. At least in conception, engineering involves more Te -- specific concrete thought and logistical problem resolution and hard math. Architect is more design-oriented in how it's approached, thinking on a more global level. It's more Ti/Ne to look at things from a definition and big-picture perspective, as well as mixing form and function.

I am interested in anything complex, that can capture my brain and imagination, and I like things that merge beauty and truth. I think the degree of this can vary from INTP to INTP, depending on the S/Te function strength (so some will find this in computer code or hard science for example, and others with perhaps more N function strength need a broader more artistic/evocative focus).

What fascinates me about human behavior and sociology/psychology is the same thing that captures my passion when I sit on the Pacific coast and watch the clouds and surf swirl about in complicated patterns that bely their external chaos. There is truth there, some sort of pattern that might be discerned if you were just smart or perceptive enough, but it's hard to take it all in.
Exactly.

The INTPs never invent.
They find out.

Unfortunately the modern architects re-invent the laws of physics.
They are bad architects.

The unsupported roofs collapse and kill people.
The inefficient ventilation system prevents the escape of surplus water. People get sick.
The foundation of buildings is made of concrete, instead of stone.
Read the news of Italy.

Invention tactics does not improve architecture.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Don't let that Fe get too mature either. Because if you ever bump into an imminent situation (as in guns are involved) you'll wish you hadn't.:)

After rereading this several thousand times i can see that could project some ambiguity as to stains/my character. Being in situations where guns are involved was part of my job desciption. Surface based training in procedure in these situations is in the schooling i attended long ago. Unfortunatety stints in jail in order to build a false reputation are also in that job desciption. Mbti however, is not found in any schooling/training. For the record.