• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Costrin's Omni-Ultimate INTP Profile.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So.... I finally got around to writin' this. I assume all you peeps have a basic idea of what an INTP is, so I'll be going a little more in depth here. Also, see this profile first, as it's awesome.

PS: Ima be doin' an INTJ ISTP profile next. So any input from INTJs ISTPs is appreciated. Otherwise you might be misrepresented, and you might not like that!

INTP PROFILE, YO

Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiver
(that's me!)

Ti-Ne-Si-Fe

Overview: INTPs have two faces. The first and main face, is their Ti face. In this mode, they sit back, observer, and work towards a fundamental understanding of what it is that caught their interest. Their second face is their Ne face. In this mode they are unique, quirky, weird and fun and can appear like ENTPs. INTPs are generally reluctant to show this face unless they are comfortable with the people around them, which can take quite a while.

Introverted Thinking: "Analyzing and determining the essence of the gathered information."
This is the INTPs primary mode of thinking. This function colors everything they do. What Ti does it essentially recreate the external universe internally. It takes in information, and compares it to information already assimilated to determine where it belongs. It's basically a highly complex puzzle-solver. This function is not linear, and it's logic can't easily be explained to others. This function is reductionist, ie, it gets down the essence of a problem and finds the piece of the puzzle that fits there. This is different from say Ni, which tries to find as many perspectives as possible to any situation.

Putting this all together, what this does for the behaviour of an INTP is this: It means that INTPs are very good at figuring out systems and patterns. This is extremely useful in all aspects of life. However, this also has some drawbacks. Most notably, it is highly impersonal. Subjective details are considered irrelevant by an INTP, and in fact are often dismissed entirely in an almost unconscious process. Even their own emotions don't register the majority of times. Two, it can be overly systematic, which can be a disadvantage when things are fuzzy, and it can impose an inaccurate pattern where there is none. This , combined the impersonal nature, makes Ti very ill fit for social situations. INTPs generally don't show their Ti to others unless they feel comfortable with them.

Extraverted Intuition: "AND THEN THE ALIEN EXPLODED INTO A THOUSAND CANDY MUSHROOMS THEN MARIO CAME AND ATE THEM AND GOT FAT AND VOMITED ON YOU. THEN YOU DIED. THE END."
The INTPs primary information gathering function and primary way of interacting with the world. Ne is all about taking in information from the external world and following the tangents. It creates countless new ideas, possibilities, contexts, and courses of action. Ne gives a drive toward uniqueness, toward expressing and unleashing new things into the world. The majority of the information that Ne gathers is taken by Ti for analyzing and judging. This provides the broad context and universal perspective that an INTPs Ti needs. However, when Ne gets pushed to the forefront, all the crazy ideas that it comes up with are released upon the world. This, combined with the deatchment of Ti is what makes INTPs be seen as the weirdest type.

This function also leads to the breadth of knowledge that an INTP accumulates. Ne goes from one new thing to another, funneling information to Ti for analyzing. When the rate of new information for Ti to analyze slows down, Ne moves on to something else. Ne is also the primary way that INTPs help others. They give many possible solutions to a problem. Ne also acts the way to unlock the INTPs inferior, Fe. Ne teams up with and aids Fe.

Introverted Sensing: "I'd like some time alone to think this through before I commit to this."
The INTPs relief function. INTPs use this function when they are feeling stressed. They retreat into their head and replay events over and over analyzing them. Then when the INTP has figured things out, (s)he can go back into the external world refreshed. However, at the same time, Si doesn't really provide any new information to an INTP, so the INTP can get caught in a TiSi loop. The Si draws the INTP away from new and unknown until the INTP has figured out precisely how it works. But without the help of Ne, the INTP will never get the information (s)he needs to complete the puzzle, so there is a temptation to remain in the TiSi loop for eternity (see this article).

Extraverted Feeling: "Apply peer pressure!"
The INTPs inferior and aspirational function. Fe is a nebulous function for INTPs. Many INTPs reject and are actually afraid of it. But when used, it gives the INTP a sense of satisfaction, a “warm n' fuzzy” feeling. Fe basically defines social roles for people, and attempts to help them fulfill that role. Fe is often drawn out when the INTP brings Ne to the forefront. The Fe helps the INTP fulfill his quirky and weird social role. Ne also comes up with strange and unique social roles for others and Fe urges the INTP to manipulate to get them to fill that role. For this reason, I hypothesize that NeFe are the best functions for improvisation (which is why so many ENTPs are good at it). When using this function, INTPs can be surprisingly good at manipulating the social situation to their desire, as others watch with a mixture of horror, confusion and amusement at the introvert unleashing this unexpected side.

Interactions with others:
An INTP can pretty much get along with anyone. In my experience, it depends more on the other person how well the relationship works. INTPs are very laisez-faire and non-judgmental, so can interact with anyone if the other person is willing to interact with the INTP. Basically, the way to catch an INTPs interest, is to show interest in them. Talk to the INTP about what the INTP is interested in. Let the INTP show his Ti to you, and go along with the INTPs crazy Ne shenanigans. Catching an INTP is really pretty easy, just remember that you will likely have to make the first moves and then let the INTP slowly reveal (him/her)self to you. As long as you don't try and control the INTP and respect his/her privacy, you should be fine.

So that's it. I'm done.

Last edited:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Costrin....You are diabolicle in the best possible form. Upon reading, i blipped on "subjective details are considered irrelevent". Right after scrolling up, yet again, to see the title of the thread after more information was received.

Upon reading "INTPs generally don't show their Ti to others" i instantaniously resorted to an ESTJ i seen for a few months and (all of a sudden) figured out that i withheld my Ti from her from the getgo. Paid off pretty big. Thanks Ne.

Upon reading "Ne gives a drive toward uniqueness" I spontaniously deducted my Ne to possiple genetics due to everyone before me one the Ne side had extreme Ne. Thus comming from "Ne is all about taking in information from the external world and following the tangents"

Your good Costrin. i would explain the rest but i'll step aside for a moment with which to supress that freak next door labeled Fe.

Please allow my Fe to say "you better not stand up The Cos come time the date nears. even if someone is late." My Ne ensenses fatal karmic doom for the standupper. Observe that last statement. Compare and contrast with the sentance just after Extroverted intuition.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Costrin....You are diabolicle in the best possible form. Upon reading, i blipped on "subjective details are considered irrelevent". Right after scrolling up, yet again, to see the title of the thread after more information was received.

Upon reading "INTPs generally don't show their Ti to others" i instantaniously resorted to an ESTJ i seen for a few months and (all of a sudden) figured out that i withheld my Ti from her from the getgo. Paid off pretty big. Thanks Ne.

Upon reading "Ne gives a drive toward uniqueness" I spontaniously deducted my Ne to possiple genetics due to everyone before me one the Ne side had extreme Ne. Thus comming from "Ne is all about taking in information from the external world and following the tangents"

Your good Costrin. i would explain the rest but i'll step aside for a moment with which to supress that freak next door labeled Fe.

Please allow my Fe to say "you better not stand up The Cos come time the date nears. even if someone is late." My Ne ensenses fatal karmic doom for the standupper. Observe that last statement. Compare and contrast with the sentance just after Extroverted intuition.

So I deduced that you're complimenting me. Other than that... wat?

R

Riva

short and sweet.

and i loved it.

i have two close INTP friends(well there aren't many INTPs are there?) and this describes them pretty well.

especially that TiSi loop part of it.

PS - write the ENTP profile next. no one enjoys reading about INTJs. because they're horrible people.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
NeFe are the best functions for improvisation (which is why so many ENTPs are good at it)

*stomps foot. (royal heiness is not pleased)*

you there!

i was best in my grade (of who took drama) at improvisation. period, ka-blamo, omg where did that girl come from, what a nutzo. not just from my perspective, i got he highest marks for improvisation (by a mile) and it was alwasy commended by the teachers.
my entp chum was trailing not to far behind me though. my guess is that i jsut had a superior and more fluid imagination... (not intp > entp, just me > her)
it wasnt completly constant though more when we were thrown in the deep end, i rocked the stage. more than the super-extraverts with their loud voices and all
actually an isfp was very good also.

maybe my Fe is bitchin...
maybe i had to bring my Fe out to do my imagination justice...
maybe im just so good im still better than someone who designed to be best at it, (so if i were entp, id be even better? naw then id suck at everyhtign, be in denial about it, and take my insecurities out on my intp friend by trying to overpower them when people are watching)

i always thought it was jsut because i was crazy

not rejecting your idea, fyi.

good to have a chance to bring my awsomeness up. thanks costrin, lets do this again

p.s
i didnt read all of it but i never thought Ne and Fe were tied together like parent-child. i understand my Fe and my behvaiour a bit more now. thankee. good profile, you've earnt a nod. *nods*

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
short and sweet.

and i loved it.

i have two close INTP friends(well there aren't many INTPs are there?) and this describes them pretty well.

especially that TiSi loop part of it.

PS - write the ENTP profile next. no one enjoys reading about INTJs. because they're horrible people.

Well perhaps that's why I have to write the INTJ profile next? So others will know how horrible they are and how to avoid them.

*stomps foot. (royal heiness is not pleased)*

you there!

i was best in my grade (of who took drama) at improvisation. period, ka-blamo, omg where did that girl come from, what a nutzo. not just from my perspective, i got he highest marks for improvisation (by a mile) and it was alwasy commended by the teachers.
my entp chum was trailing not to far behind me though. my guess is that i jsut had a superior and more fluid imagination... (not intp > entp, just me > her)
it wasnt completly constant though more when we were thrown in the deep end, i rocked the stage. more than the super-extraverts with their loud voices and all
actually an isfp was very good also.

Hey now, I didn't say ENTPs were the only ones good at it, just a tendency I've noticed. And I'd might argue that INTPs are better than ENTPs at comedy writing in general. And certainly other types have their own unique perspectives that can make them good also.

maybe my Fe is bitchin...
maybe i had to bring my Fe out to do my imagination justice...
maybe im just so good im still better than someone who designed to be best at it, (so if i were entp, id be even better? naw then id suck at everyhtign, be in denial about it, and take my insecurities out on my intp friend by trying to overpower them when people are watching)

i always thought it was jsut because i was crazy

not rejecting your idea, fyi.

good to have a chance to bring my awsomeness up. thanks costrin, lets do this again

Yes, it's because your crazy. BTW, I don't exist.

p.s
i didnt read all of it but i never thought Ne and Fe were tied together like parent-child. i understand my Fe and my behvaiour a bit more now. thankee. good profile, you've earnt a nod. *nods*

Well *nod* back then!

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
i wasnt ripping at you or your theories

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Hey now, I didn't say ENTPs were the only ones good at it, just a tendency I've noticed. And I'd might argue that INTPs are better than ENTPs at comedy writing in general. And certainly other types have their own unique perspectives that can make them good also.

i know

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't read it, but everyone else seemed to like it.

So I will echo their support.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Good job. Was interesting to read an INTP profile coming from an INTP, also went into different details than a lot of other type profiles do.

Look forward to reading the rest when you get to them.

DURP

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Overview:
Overview: INTPs have two faces. The first and main face, is their Ti face. In this mode, they sit back, observer, and work towards a fundamental understanding of what it is that caught their interest. Their second face is their Ne face. INTPs are generally reluctant to show this face unless they are comfortable with the people around them, which can take quite a while.
INTPs generally don't show their Ti to others unless they feel comfortable with them.

So we have two faces but we don't like to show either of them?
Which face do we wear when we are uncomfortable ?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So we have two faces but we don't like to show either of them?
Which face do we wear when we are uncomfortable ?

Huh. I suppose that could be worded better.

Maybe it'd make more sense if I say that Si essentially acts as a mask. It's unmoving, inexpressive, and cold. It protects us from the outside world. When we feel safe and comfortable we are more willing to remove our mask and show our Ti and Ne.

Opinion?