• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] How innate is Ne/Ti exactly?

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Are there any xNTPs here that was raised in a very J environment in such a way that NeTi couldn't possibly have developed early.

My mom is an ESFJ teacher, dad is an ISTJ Civil Engineer (hardly influential in my growing years because he's always abroad), and I was raised a Catholic (another J entity), studied in a stereotypical J school like anyone else.

If I think about it, there isn't any room here for NeTi to flourish. It made me think if I'm just INTP as a nurturing mechanism rather than a natural one.

I have a hunch. Quite a number of NTPs may have been raised as Js, believed that they're actually Js, until unexpected things in life happen--things don't go as planned.

It's only good to be J if things go as planned, otherwise it's better to be a P for improvisation.

I think...

STJs - believe that the established rules are the right ones.

NTJs - believe that they are better than their STJ counterparts because of their 'foresight'.

Some NTPs - got messed up by the system, decided to avoid the rat race their TJ brothers go into, started to look for their outside niche, consequently broadening up their Ne, now wanting to have a laid back and a more fun way of learning. Essentially laid back without sacrificing intellectual proficiency (NeTi). Eventually hoping that a more individualistic take on learning will forge eventual mastery of a certain field, with a minimized sense of an SJ obligation.

-----

Anyway, I'm 27. The first INTP I met was a genius of a college professor around 5 years ago. And I was able to understand MBTI just recently. Heck, I doubt if I'll ever have any idea of the p/j duality without it. Only after learning mbti did i appreciate how much of a genius my professor was. I even thought that he was needlessly arrogant that time.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I was an INTX. I turned P when I realized it is a free world, and you can't achieve certain goals by being a J. Being a J is like building a fence around ytour life, hoping things will never spin out of control.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I totally grew up in my shadow and it sucked. I guess I always knew that I wasn't "me" and I could never figure out what that meant, since I knew shit about MBTI. I just felt suffocated by my SJ family and lacked any real sense of self. I think I had my first ENTP moment when I left home very abruptly as a teen. Once I got that taste of freedom, fun, possibility and adventure, I've never looked back.

Edit: But even though I was in my shadow, I was still very intellectually curious and did very well in school. I definitely wore my parents and teachers out with my constant stream of "what if" and "but why" questions...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I grew up into an extremely J environment (family, brother, cousins... all are meticulously J), and I have no idea why I ended as a very strong P.

Maybe it's my teachers. They were fascinated by my abilities as a young kid, they were in awe. So maybe they gave me too much space and freedom.

I have no idea.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an ESFJ mom, INTJ dad and younger brother, and ESTJ older sister. All of my immediate family, then, is very J, and I grew up in a J environment and acted pretty INTJ up until I was about 14-15.

At this point I got sick of being introverted/shy and grew into this kind of nasty ENTJ phase, which mellowed out into ENTP by age 18 or so, once I realized trying to imitate my family's J-ness was leading to chronic stifling of my natural impulses, making me even more depressed and neurotic than usual.

But often, P isn't really that cool. I get sick of being so unable to focus on any goal that doesn't interest me; it's like I objectively recognize the value in planning for things but I still don't bother.

Sometimes I feel like the only good thing about being P is getting along with other Ps. I hate to admit it but I need J people to push me toward tangible goals!

L

Lasting_Pain

I was raised in a very rigid household. But as I got older my boundaries were expanded and my imagination and rationalization grew beyond the limits for my age. It was hard for me to control and still is.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was raised in a pretty TJ environment. I'd say this repressed who I am quite a bit, most of the things that were natural to me as a P were labelled as immaturities or laziness according to the ESTJ and ENTJ in my family. Even made me think I was INTJ for a while there :rolleyes:

L

Lasting_Pain

I was raised in a pretty TJ environment. I'd say this repressed who I am quite a bit, most of the things that were natural to me as a P were labelled as immaturities or laziness according to the ESTJ and ENTJ in my family. Even made me think I was INTJ for a while there :rolleyes:

Same here. My mom says that to me every day. "Adam, you are so lazy." or "Adam, you are so immature."

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Same here. My mom says that to me every day. "Adam, you are so lazy." or "Adam, you are so immature."

Eh! I hear that.

You know that tuning out reality thing that’s lots of fun when you wanna waste the day away but also consequently means you don’t hear when you’re asked to do things, yeah, that shat my mother, she never believed that I didn’t register what she was saying, boy would I get in trouble!

L

Lasting_Pain

Eh! I hear that.

You know that tuning out reality thing that’s lots of fun when you wanna waste the day away but also consequently means you don’t hear when you’re asked to do things, yeah, that shat my mother, she never believed that I didn’t register what she was saying, boy would I get in trouble!

Same here. I am behind socially, because I tuned out reality too much.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Grew up in a J environment here as well. Was very J myself as a young child. But as far as my memory goes. My J seemed to be this defensive mechanism that I took up from my environment, for me J almost always lead to regrets. As I got wiser I lost that defensive mechanism and became very P instead. This started from 10 years old or so to where I am now. And transitioning fluidly more to P each year.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was raised in a ridiculously strong J environment, and I never showed any signs of being a J. Ever.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Grew up in a strong J environment, and really like my J-ness. Odd as it may seem to the Ps, there is nothing even remotely appealing (to me) in the whole "let stuff happen" approach. I think my J is what has consistently kept me from going under during really rough times and every goal I've set for myself has been accomplished as a result of the J (the T sets the goal and figures out what needs to be done, but the J is the doer). I get up, I go, I do what needs to get done, and there's absolutely no f***ing around. Ps are fun to spend time with, but they often fiddle fart around so much, that you just have to learn to leave them alone. I rarely make plans with Ps, as it's basically an exercise in futility, but I do dig them when they're around.

I do regret the lack of F a bit though.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OP makes no sense to me, whatsoever. Either all functions are innate, or none are.

Anyway, raised in a very "J" home. But I've never been remotely that way inclined. Often wish I were. Despite the fact that they bug the hell out of me.

L

Lasting_Pain

Grew up in a strong J environment, and really like my J-ness. Odd as it may seem to the Ps, there is nothing even remotely appealing (to me) in the whole "let stuff happen" approach. I think my J is what has consistently kept me from going under during really rough times and every goal I've set for myself has been accomplished as a result of the J (the T sets the goal and figures out what needs to be done, but the J is the doer). I get up, I go, I do what needs to get done, and there's absolutely no f***ing around. Ps are fun to spend time with, but they often fiddle fart around so much, that you just have to learn to leave them alone. I rarely make plans with Ps, as it's basically an exercise in futility, but I do dig them when they're around.

Ps have goals too. They are just subjected to change.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Yes, but all this doing doesn't sound very fun or romantic or interesting.

Also, it comes down to what you want out of life: to get things done (why, what things, for what purpose) or to have a particular experience of life.

ENTJ's live a life of constraint. I have no quarrel with that, but I just have always wanted something different, more broad, more serendipitous.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Ps have goals too. They are just subjected to change.

Didn't say they didn't, just that my J is what gets mine accomplished. I have lots of P friends who have goals, they just have a little more difficulty getting to the finish line (or remembering where or what it was lol!) in a reasonable amount of time. Ps are lovely.

L

Lasting_Pain

Didn't say they didn't, just that my J is what gets mine accomplished. I have lots of P friends who have goals, they just have a little more difficulty getting to the finish line (or remembering where or what it was lol!) in a reasonable amount of time. Ps are lovely.

:cry:

We are more flexible though. :blush:

juggernaut

Permabanned
Yes, but all this doing doesn't sound very fun or romantic or interesting.

Also, it comes down to what you want out of life: to get things done (why, what things, for what purpose) or to have a particular experience of life.

ENTJ's live a life of constraint. I have no quarrel with that, but I just have always wanted something different, more broad, more serendipitous.

Constraint? Maybe... I wouldn't say my life has been especially constrained though. I've travelled, had a family, been educated (and continue to be), and seen an awful lot of things that I suspect many Ps will never get to simply because life is just too short and they do tend to futz around an awful lot.

You're probably right about the serendipitousness thing though.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Constraint? Maybe... I wouldn't say my life has been especially constrained though. I've travelled, had a family, been educated (and continue to be), and seen an awful lot of things that I suspect many Ps will never get to simply because life is just too short and they do tend to futz around an awful lot.

You're probably right about the serendipitousness thing though.

What do you want from life?