• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] How innate is Ne/Ti exactly?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an NTP raised by SFJs, basically. It really does screw you up and smothers your natural gift -- typical survival mechanism where the self is suppressed and you're forced to work and think in ways counter to your natural desires. It was hard being one who naturally thinks outside the box and brings up counter-ideas, even disturbing ones, as a way of working through them, when simultaneously my doing that always caused a lot of conflict and hurt feelings among the relational status quo crowd.

Dealing with STJ thought and approaches in the religious subculture I was raised in also left me very conflicted; when I was alone, or in my head, I was fine, but any intellectual interaction with others I felt constantly forced to approach things in an STJ way and it was hell for me. Eventually I asserted myself, basically "left" that cultural mindset and environment, and found places where I actually could be me.

G

garbage

I totally grew up in my shadow and it sucked. I guess I always knew that I wasn't "me" and I could never figure out what that meant, since I knew shit about MBTI. I just felt suffocated by my SJ family and lacked any real sense of self.

Same for me.. only I continued to be a workaholic J type well after I left my parents. I guess I had a lot of inertia and felt the need to keep it going.

It was only very, very recently that I started finding out that P just fits my perception of what life should be about.

I was raised in a pretty TJ environment. I'd say this repressed who I am quite a bit, most of the things that were natural to me as a P were labelled as immaturities or laziness according to the ESTJ and ENTJ in my family. Even made me think I was INTJ for a while there :rolleyes:

My brother and his wife are ENTJ and ESTJ, and I hate to think what that's going to do to my (probably) ENTP nephew :doh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an NTP raised by SFJs, basically. It really does screw you up and smothers your natural gift -- typical survival mechanism where the self is suppressed and you're forced to work and think in ways counter to your natural desires. It was hard being one who naturally thinks outside the box and brings up counter-ideas, even disturbing ones, as a way of working through them, when simultaneously my doing that always caused a lot of conflict and hurt feelings among the relational status quo crowd.

Dealing with STJ thought and approaches in the religious subculture I was raised in also left me very conflicted; when I was alone, or in my head, I was fine, but any intellectual interaction with others I felt constantly forced to approach things in an STJ way and it was hell for me. Eventually I asserted myself, basically "left" that cultural mindset and environment, and found places where I actually could be me.

This describes me to an extent, as well. I always had my natural way of being, but then I felt conflicted about it, b/c I kept being told it wasn't how I was "supposed" to be. I got called opinionated, selfish, lazy, and all sorts of other things that were really just a function of my being an INTP and their being ISJs. In a way, I think some of it was good, because I learned how to accommodate and function in the real world a bit more than I would have if left to my own devices.

I never, ever adopted the SJ approach, though. Either I'd try and it wouldn't stick, or I would completely go the opposite way just to assert my independence.