• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Hobbies for NT!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  • film
  • fantasizing about making films
  • foruming
  • video games
  • designing roller coasters
  • Wikipedia
  • art/design
  • studying behavior
  • sociology
  • dreaming/scheming

L

Lasting_Pain

I determine that most NTs share the same interests. This is interesting indeed.

*writes down in notepad*

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
It's really funny to me that no one has mentioned talking to the opposite sex. Haha. That, and yoga are my hobbies at the moment.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Here are the sort of things I assume NTs involve themselves in as hobbies:

Chess, Mathematics, Computer Programming, Engineering, Medicine, Physics, Economics, Strategy, and other similar fields.

Most of the things you people are describing don't seem quite as removed or intellectual as I imagine NTs being. What's with that?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably because we sometimes enjoy seeking refuge in other things, as a means to easy our brain, for a short time. :)

To expand my list (only named one hobby.)

My other hobbies are
-Killing time by aimlessly looking for inspiration on the internet.
-Writing poetry (Woah!?)
-Teasing my ESFJ sister.
-Occasionally reading, most books I dislike though. I like a book that challenges the readers intellect. But when I find a book I like, I can read quite a lot in a short time. Just most of the time I don't have a book that interests me around. So casual, but depends on supply.
-Walking with my dogs.
-Talking with my friends.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
All of the above - photography, languages, crossword puzzles or any type of puzzles, dancing, socializing - same as everyone else, I guess... As long as I don't focus on any one thing, I'll always be happy.

Sachetan

MBTI Type
ENTP

Chess, Mathematics, Computer Programming, Engineering, Medicine, Physics, Economics, Strategy, and other similar fields.

Most of the things you people are describing don't seem quite as removed or intellectual as I imagine NTs being. What's with that?

I guess it depends on which NT (and gender) you are.

My ENTJ and INTJ male friends are very much into Chess, Mathematics, Computer Programming, Engineering and Physics while ENTPs, at least female ones, are more into creative stuff ie arts. I've read that cultural pressure is perhaps one factor in NT women choosing cultural activities and NT men going for more technological options.

Medicine is more of an NF area, I think. I know a few male doctors and they all are NFs. Female NF friends of mine have gone for educational or social work or journalism.

And Economics bring to mind those SJs I know - female and male.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I guess it depends on which NT (and gender) you are.

My ENTJ and INTJ male friends are very much into Chess, Mathematics, Computer Programming, Engineering and Physics while ENTPs, at least female ones, are more into creative stuff ie arts. I've read that cultural pressure is perhaps one factor in NT women choosing cultural activities and NT men going for more technological options.

Yes yes yes. It wasn't so easy growing up, it's a bit easier now. However, as I've grown, I have definitely chosen the more technical aspects of the artistic world. Like, it's not enough to take technically proficient artistic photos - I also have to design cameras and lenses to my own satisfaction. Playing the guitar is wonderful, but it's acoustically better on the guitar that I designed and built for myself. Things like that...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Hobbies have to be fun for me to be interested, most things you've mentioned there fit into my definition of very un-fun. They're more likely to be professional interests, I studied computer programming at uni and enjoyed it well enough but it wasn't something I'd do for fun in my spare time. Strategy I would but it would be in the form of a game like poker or something.

Also, someone who said medicine was a personal hobby of theirs would scare me :yes:

My consistent hobbies would be;
Anything sports
Anything music
Bass Guitar and
Social Psychology
Plus, can wine be a hobby? :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Reading
Writing
History LOLs
Drawing
Knit/crochet
Procrastinating on internet forums

That's about it.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Creating electronic circuits
Designing & building machines and gadgets
Trading stocks
Learning about all sorts of potentially useful things
Building a house (future)

I enjoy all sorts of other things also, such as music, participating in sports, video games, travel, etc, but they do not provide the deep satisfaction that I get from creating things.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the title as Hobbits for NT's...made me giggle, then I wondered what you would need hobbits for....yep, this is totally random.

L

Lasting_Pain

It's really funny to me that no one has mentioned talking to the opposite sex. Haha. That, and yoga are my hobbies at the moment.

NTs don't really include that on our list unless we are in love.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
All the usual suspects plus gardening.

And since today is the first decent day we've had since October, I've been out cleaning out the flower bed. My back hurts but I'm already looking forward to the hot shower and the feeling of having actually accomplished something.

Gardens are fluid. You conceive a design, but if something doesn't work, you pull it out and start over. They demand a degree of attention but hardly take it personally if you miss a weed or two.

FWIW, it appears the thyme was making a break for freedom over the winter months.

L

Lasting_Pain

All the usual suspects plus gardening.

And since today is the first decent day we've had since October, I've been out cleaning out the flower bed. My back hurts but I'm already looking forward to the hot shower and the feeling of having actually accomplished something.

Gardens are fluid. You conceive a design, but if something doesn't work, you pull it out and start over. They demand a degree of attention but hardly take it personally if you miss a weed or two.

FWIW, it appears the thyme was making a break for freedom over the winter months.

Never seen an INTP interested in Gardening but i can see why you like gardening.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Um, is multiboxing really a popular NT hobby in real life (and not just the WoW communities)? Typically, how many NTs on this board are that into it?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
60% of the entire community.

1. Most are INTJ 30%
2. Close second INTP 28%
3. Next comes ISTJ 15%
4. Then INFJ 14%
5. ENTP is fifth with 2%
After that it's ~1%'s per type

According to poll results. So it does seem so.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
i have yet to try WoW and i may never because itll probably destroy my life.

i was obsessed with astronomy when i was 9-11. got a telescope for my 10th birthday. best present until this day. but really you can look at different sized circles any old place.

i got myself into keeping fit. i say keeping fit but what i really mean is looking fit.

i read but not that much. when i do its science fiction (dune!), stephen king, fantasy or i lurk fanfiction.net for something half decent and end up disappointed. >_<
non fiction: philosophy, psychology

i dream up stuff. i try to channel it but usually get distracted. damn 4 second attention span.

computers have seriously deteriorated my creative productivity. im heavily into visual art but i usually get distracted by the internet... so computers is another one.

making up my own characters and writing them into pre-existing stories then never posting them on fanfiction.net cuz mary-sue/OC stories bite.

staring at the sky and listening to my ipod.