• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does NT necessairly mean math proficiency?

ez78705

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
What did you find difficult? Integrating Volumes?

I'm fine with Integrating Volumes. I'm fine with stuff that can be solved with "algebra". It was quite a while ago when I took Multivariable Calculus but I remember that I didn't like the last chapter in Stewart's textbook (whatever it was, I don't remember). I hate the stuff when you have to imagine that there are infinite number of vectors in 3 dimensional space.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Eh I don't know. I'm ST, and my math skills are awesome. As far as english/verbal skills go though, I could use a lot of improvement. My NF counterparts are far better at that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Theory is fine.

My basic math skills are crap. I keep forgetting zeroes at the end of numbers and things like that.

Is my NT license going to be revoked now?

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I failed at maths. Too many rules and restrictions; too linear in thinking. Having said that, for my geography coursework I had to do a T-test to calculate the difference in age structure between two settlements, and I found myself enjoying the task of doing the formulae and working out the equations.

Still, it is a bit too linear for my liking. The thought of getting one calculation slightly wrong (most likely due to pressing the wrong button on the calculator, or worse, not pressing hard enough on a button) frustrates me like hell, because that one minor miscalculation messes the whole thing up, thus getting the answer wrong.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I think being an NT gives greater speed and ease at learning math, but I don't think the capacity is any greater. In other words, another type could be just as good as an NT at math, but it is likely that the other type had to work harder for it.

Math just comes more naturally to NTs. imo

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm terrible at math. I mean I can't even give correct change from a till. :(

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think you have to differentiate between ability and aptitude. I think I have a stronger aptitude for math than most non-NTs, but my ability is lacking. I have an ESFP roommate and an ESTP roommate who are both engineering majors that could easily school me even if I could potentially develop a better understanding of it.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh I don't know. I'm ST, and my math skills are awesome. As far as english/verbal skills go though, I could use a lot of improvement. My NF counterparts are far better at that.

...but similarly, id bet there are NTs with fantastic English/verbal skills (my guess: ENTX).

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, it doesn't necessarily mean it. I'm living proof that it doesn't.

However, I do think NTs would be generally better at maths than other types would be. Nonetheless, this could simply be down to the fact that NTs generally succeed (and regularly exceed their peers) academically anyway. (Sadly, I was not one of these NTs. :dont: However, I'm basically considered by most to be quite intelligent in life in general, and simply don't 'put the effort in' academically. I have changed that recently, but I'm certainly not a prodigy of the academe.)