• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Dealing with overly-critical people

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
How do you deal with these people?
I hate to argue with people who beleive they are always right and criticize you for not following their advice. How do you deal with this type of people.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Avoid them like the plague. If you can't, call attention to the fact that their expectations are unreasonable, and that you don't feel the need to adhere to said expectations.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Avoid them like the plague. If you can't, call attention to the fact that their expectations are unreasonable, and that you don't feel the need to adhere to said expectations.

I don' think there's anything else you can do

well besides... :angry:

sculpting

If they are an INTJ, tickle them with yor Fi and distract them.

If they are crazy, compliment them on how clever they are and how if they only would do "XY and Z" they would be so mch more valuable for the team.

Carry lab timers so you can make them go off at predetermined intervals so you can escape them.

Tell them it's against your religion.

Tell them the aliens said that is NOT the correct answer and will kill you if they do what they are telling you to do.

Pretend to have an outloud conversation with all the voices in your head where some agree and some disagree. Give them fun names like Mr. Bunny and crunchy oats.

Tell them your boss disagrees and you will get fired if you do that.

pretend to have a seizure.

Tell them they have something on thier face and they need to go to the bathroom to clean it off.

kick them in the groin.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
How do you deal with this type of people.

Just do what they say; they're probably right. And if one said, by chance, please end questions with a question mark, then don't totally ignore it.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate to argue with people who beleive they are always right and criticize you for not following their advice. How do you deal with this type of people.

Prove their wrong once then continually refer to that one time they were wrong whenever they ask you why you don't do what they suggest.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Provide them with the least information possible. If it is someone you want or need to have in your life then make up for the withdrawal by doing nice things for them on your terms, like a compliment or a gift. If the person is not important or necessary to one's life then it is easiest to avoid them.

I sometimes try to figure out the source of their criticism. On some level it is typically related to insecurity and an exaggerated need to control. These people are not necessarily cruel or horrible even if their words and attitudes cause harm. They have had experiences to shape them to be critical. Sometimes people are so fearful and anxious that they project their pessimism into other people's life choices. Some people feel unheard and unimportant and so overly project their advice on other people. I try to emphasize to those people that my life is stable and good (even when it isn't) and then look for a honest compliment to give them. I deliberately try to make them *feel* secure when talking to me even if they make me feel awful at that moment. Rather than telling them I can be trusted with my own life, I demonstrate it with self-control and calming words.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I struggle with taking criticism. This being said, if someone is overly critical, I try to avoid these types of people. I don't want to backtalk but people usually notice by the look on my face as it's happening that I'm not a happy camper. I would like to think I have gotten better but not my strong suit

Greed

#1 thot
avoid them if you can or daydream about slapping them in the face if you can't.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I struggle with taking criticism. This being said, if someone is overly critical, I try to avoid these types of people. I don't want to backtalk but people usually notice by the look on my face as it's happening that I'm not a happy camper. I would like to think I have gotten better but not my strong suit

I had an estj boss after learning how to deal with that she said: i love you ( as a friend of course )... Funny enough she was the same with her husband and son.
Even intp's can be critical , We need to think if people are toxic without any meaning or if they actually trying to helped you in a direct way.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Good friend will always tell you when you do something wrong with your life.
Bad friend will accept your misery like it doesn't exist. Such a excuse for friend. :cry:

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had an estj boss after learning how to deal with that she said: i love you ( as a friend of course )... Funny enough she was the same with her husband and son.
Even intp's can be critical , We need to think if people are toxic without any meaning or if they actually trying to helped you in a direct way.

I suspect my first boss was ESxJ but of course, I can't be too sure. That is impressive that you were able to put it behind you. Yeah, criticism can indeed be helpful. I just find that it takes time to develop thick skin.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I suspect my first boss was ESxJ but of course, I can't be too sure. That is impressive that you were able to put it behind you. Yeah, criticism can indeed be helpful. I just find that it takes time to develop thick skin.

You have to learn how to "Fight" vs strong Te , They are very autenthic you just have to show what you can do and face them ...actually they enjoy that.

pd: I forgot i'm a Thinker for Feelers i don't have a clue :doh:.

Black Sun

I avoid them or make jerking-off motions with my hand when they talk. Seems to work.