• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why are NTs individualists?

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
anyone can want to be different

being different shouldn't come from wanting to be different, it should come from being yourself and staying true to who you are

deleted
being different shouldn't come from wanting to be different, it should come from being yourself and staying true to who you are

Maybe. I think a lot of NTs see how different they are from most people to begin with, and we claim it as a significant characteristic all on its own. But we are thinkers, we prefer thoughts over feelings. So if something like our individualism is out of line, the reasoning isn't based on but what is completely relative to what is around us. Thinking and logic is about relativism, and we wouldn't sacrifice our personal passion over objective truth. At least not for the strong T types. This concept seems nonsensical to Fs, but we Ts have no choice. We try to keep an organized system going to where we don't have to focus on our priorities, but the underlying tasks. I don't think NTs are THAT uncertain of their individualism. We're aware, but we're probably more concerned about complexities of how things work, and not often do we compare them to ourselves.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it's more about contrariness than anything else. I know that if too many people are agreeing on something, I get the urge to disagree just for the hell of it. It's not something I control, either.

Yeah thats kind of what i meant. Anyone any ideas as to why NTs - or just NTPs as it seems to be - feel the need to do that?

L

Lasting_Pain

I think all types want to be an individual but sooner or later we will all get swiped back into the herd whether we want to or not.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am an individualist, and I don't think that "longing to be different" is necessarily individualistic. Actually, I'm pretty opposed to being different just to be different. Be who you are, and be sincere about it. I guess as an IJ, I could care less about reacting against society's trends. That would imply that society has somehow gotten under my skin--my tough outer shell. I don't feel the need to seek out ways of being different. I do that naturally and unconsciously.

To answer the question, though, I think NTs are strong individualists partly because they are such a minority. They are born different, but they might not realize that until many years down the line. I think that the combination of NT, as opposed to NF, gives rationals a hard shell and makes them harder to push around or bully into submission. We NTs have our heads in the clouds (N), so we are unlikely to care what the rest of society thinks of our strangeness. Thus, we were born different, we rarely give a hoot what society thinks about that, and we are focused on goals rather than how we accomplish them.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
`

I feel that way too. Sometimes I feel like I fit in perfectly and sometimes I
just feel out of place. But I've learned to tune it all out because I have en-
ough on my mind with being temporarily trapped in a dead end job I can't q-
uit and get out of until I can absolutely find a reliable job that's not just a
short term thing and go back to school and worrying about fitting in or not
being different whichever way you choose to look at it just isn't worth the
extra stress. Eventually push comes to shove and you quit caring what ev-
erybody thinks except what the people in your life that matter think of your
choices and those things and just putting as much energy you can into th-
ings that you could learn something from or new skills from partly for perso-
nal enjoyment and furthering your chances at getting a job or more effecti-
ve schooling. I mostly feel different now because these changes are cau-
sing new routines and other things and my closest friends have the same
types of things going on and all that and some have just moved away so I'm
kind of in a transition right now. Until recently I was in denial that I was and
just kept on trying to pretend that everything is the same but I've realized
you miss out on the present and the future by trying to hold onto the past.

XNTJ

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
i just like the process of reinventing the wheel. if i dont bother try comparing myself to others, i somehow usually succeed in what im doing naturally