• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why are NTs individualists?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I realised the other day that one that factors that motivates me loads is how i have this huge need to be different! The strange thing is I can't figure out why so i wanted to see if anyone here has any idea why NTs in general feel the need to different?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i see a contradiction in being an individualist and a longing to be 'different'. if you're truly an individual, then you'd be yourself whether it was different from others or not.

Cool

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know what you mean! I cut my hair into a mullet to be different from my piers. I get irritated on how people like to follow trends and focus on little details. I want to be different because I don't want to be like the others, and believe me I'll go out of my way just to not blend in.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
i see a contradiction in being an individualist and a longing to be 'different'. if you're truly an individual, then you'd be yourself whether it was different from others or not.

hm interesting point! I am individual but for some reason i want to break the social norms for the hell of it just to be different anyway. No idea why though which is what i'm trying to figure out!

Frank

Could be. Based on my very limited exposure to this stuff on ths forum I would say nfs seem to seek out originality or authenticity while nts look more for efficiency. This search for efficiency coupled with the view that most things, people are illogical and inefficient could definitely make an nt want to be different.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it's more about contrariness than anything else. I know that if too many people are agreeing on something, I get the urge to disagree just for the hell of it. It's not something I control, either.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I think it's more about contrariness than anything else. I know that if too many people are agreeing on something, I get the urge to disagree just for the hell of it. It's not something I control, either.

Lol I always blame myself for doing this cuz I'm well aware of what's going on at the time

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah, particularly if they come off as smug and morally superior. In that case, I can almost always argue the opposite.

Just for the hell of it.

deleted
Probably just a you thing.

128824571931401790.jpg

I am a straight up Jew.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I assume it's a potential manifestation of their competitive nature (T), combined with their interest in the novel and original (N). Thus, they feel themselves in competition with others to express themselves in a distinctive, effective, and original way.

This is one of the things that makes me certain I'm not an NT. I have no need to be different from others just for the sake of being original. I simply don't necessarily strive to conform, either. I tend to do what feels right for myself, and what accords with the ideas I choose to value, regardless of whether doing so makes me different or not.

I may strive to conform superficially if I feel genuinely threatened by people I can't avoid as a result of a quality that makes me stand out, but I strongly prefer not to conform to things that don't fit with my perceptions due to the discomfort this creates.

deleted
I assume it's a potential manifestation of their competitive nature (T), combined with their interest in the novel and original (N). Thus, they feel themselves in competition with others to express themselves in a distinctive, effective, and original way.

This is one of the things that makes me certain I'm not an NT. I have no need to be different from others just for the sake of being original. I simply don't necessarily strive to conform, either. I tend to do what feels right for myself, and what accords with the ideas I value, regardless of whether doing so makes me different or not.

I may strive to conform superficially if I feel genuinely threatened by people I can't avoid as a result of a quality that makes me stand out, but I strongly prefer not to conform to things that don't fit with my perceptions due to the discomfort this creates.

I guess NTs are a bit more trendy then, hm?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Right. Isn't striving to be different just conforming to being different and no more individual than the same old same old?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Except for the part where conformism is an individual choice.

An individual choice based on one's past upbringing, environment, culture, experiences, and learned world perspective, yup. :)

Yup, exactly. It wouldn't matter what others thought; your "fitting in" would be irrelevant to the decision of doing whatever you choose to do. The template is internal, not external.