• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] this how NeTi work?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
started off here but i want NT opinion. also, the following maybe more relevant to NeTi (ENTP) than others...i dont know...feedback is appreciated

your walking by a park and you see a a man sweeping small twigs and leaves into pile. you walk a little farther and then you see a hole being dug by a teen wearing a safety vest. a few more steps and there is a generous 50 yr old lady feeding some birds.

while you are enjoying the stroll, in the back of your head, what you Ne MIGHT be doing is something like this:

1. man, twigs n leaves
1.1a man -> city worker? tax payer money? MY money?
1.1b man -> ordinary person? volunteer?
1.2 sweeping -> why not blow this shit...
1.3 twigs n leaves -> bonfire? compost? garbage? is it fall already?

2. teen, vest, spade, digging, hole
2.1 teen -> 16? 19? drinking age?
2.2 vest -> volunteer? community service?
2.3 spade -> king (of spades)?
2.4 digging -> electric poles? tree? teen playing prank? the book HOLES?

3. 50yr old lady, bird food, birds
3.1 50yr old lady -> grandma? bored? nice? kind?
3.2 bird food -> meh. like i give a shit
3.3 birds -> migrating? permanent?
3.3.1 migrating-> to china? coming from the south?
3.3.2 permanent-> baby birds? feed? nest? tall buildings? trees?

and then Ne connects the dots..
IDEA #1- "teen is digging a hole to plant a TREE where the birds can build nests using the twigs n leaves"
IDEA #2- "using community service convicts to instead of city workers saves on tax spendings"
IDEA #3- "my shirt is made in china"
IDEA #4- "lets invite people over this friday for game of poker and some drinks"

and then Ti takes over (for ENTPs) and decides:
forget about #3
#4? yeah lets do that...i should call bob...he was pissed he wasnt invited last time....and oh yeah, jim too...hes decent guy, could used some friends in a new town
#1? so wheres the tree? (i start looking around for trees that will be planted in the hole)
#2? i voted for the right person...oh wait, i didnt vote...i should vote, thats what a democracy is...ill vote next time

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
They are all obviously serving court ordered community service after they broke into the bank last week and got caught. I should get some more of that frozen yogurt.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What the?

I don't do any of that stuff. I just wonder who the person is. Edit: not by making deduction, but via empathy.

My NeTi comes out when I'm in a debate or thinking about ideas, not looking at dogs gathering sticks or whatever was going on there. When I'm in a debate, I try to see how things flow together. Stuff just connects on its own and from all these crazy weird places. A lot of the "debating" that I do tends to relate to people's motivations and actions, in which case I find information based on feeling and empathy. Then I connect it all in a sequence. In other debates (about principles, usually, or arguments) I look at what the argument says, look at what it's trying to say, and then find holes and build my arguments out of those holes. I think that's a good example of data collection and sorting.

Lets go meta and analyze this post. I read your thing, and noticed that it was very specific to your personal patterns. I thought about what I would do with the man or boy or old woman and thought that I would probably try and "be" him to understand his motivation. Then I considered what was going on in your post (Ne), versus my experience, found a hole, and sorted everything so it had some structure and order. Then I insulted you a little bit. :p Just for fun, tho, and wrote this post. Then I analyzed my analysis.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well written post, my mind works so on the fly I would have to make a choice to remember what I was thinking. I'm tired, will NeTi first chance I get and post what I think.

Nice job though and welcome aboard!

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My thought patterns run a lot along those lines as well... reading through it was interestingly familiar. I sometimes find myself backtracking those 'throught threads' to figure out what I was initially thinking about... kind of like reversing the process I just went through. I guess I had to learn to do it in order to stay on task, but sometimes I'm not able to reach the place I started from because my thoughts wandered so far from the original thought.

I <3 intuition

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
What the?

I don't do any of that stuff. I just wonder who the person is. Edit: not by making deduction, but via empathy.

My NeTi comes out when I'm in a debate or thinking about ideas, not looking at dogs gathering sticks or whatever was going on there. When I'm in a debate, I try to see how things flow together. Stuff just connects on its own and from all these crazy weird places. A lot of the "debating" that I do tends to relate to people's motivations and actions, in which case I find information based on feeling and empathy. Then I connect it all in a sequence. In other debates (about principles, usually, or arguments) I look at what the argument says, look at what it's trying to say, and then find holes and build my arguments out of those holes. I think that's a good example of data collection and sorting.

Lets go meta and analyze this post. I read your thing, and noticed that it was very specific to your personal patterns. I thought about what I would do with the man or boy or old woman and thought that I would probably try and "be" him to understand his motivation. Then I considered what was going on in your post (Ne), versus my experience, found a hole, and sorted everything so it had some structure and order. Then I insulted you a little bit. :p Just for fun, tho, and wrote this post. Then I analyzed my analysis.

when you go 'VS personal experience', i dont think thats Ne at all...

so its not as much of a hole as it is a fork in the road.

Well written post, my mind works so on the fly I would have to make a choice to remember what I was thinking. I'm tired, will NeTi first chance I get and post what I think.

Nice job though and welcome aboard!

thats very true. i have to consciously work to remember my thoughts too. if i do that, my thoughts slow down and thats not always a good thing...so, more often than not, i let the bull go where it wants to

My thought patterns run a lot along those lines as well... reading through it was interestingly familiar. I sometimes find myself backtracking those 'throught threads' to figure out what I was initially thinking about... kind of like reversing the process I just went through. I guess I had to learn to do it in order to stay on task, but sometimes I'm not able to reach the place I started from because my thoughts wandered so far from the original thought.

I <3 intuition

again, very true. and that makes us think that we have bad short term memory...sometimes it takes me a few seconds trying to backtrack to the original root thought

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
leading Ne = impulsive idea that need to be acted upon. differes from Se only in that its "distorted" sensory inputs, leads to mistranslation and thus mutation of the idea before it fully reaches the brain.

ie: u see a cigarrette, and wonder what it would be like if we all walked around in big cigarrette suits. (the sensory idea was distorted before it got to ur conscious thought)

secondary Ti = allows you to make decisions and follow these impusles with no regard for any feelings. ENTP Ti isnt really like IXTP Ti, which builds usefule systems. ENTPs use Ti as a default. No Fe or Fi, basically leaves them with Ti, which never stands a chance at saying no to Ne anyways...

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
when you go 'VS personal experience', i dont think thats Ne at all...

so its not as much of a hole as it is a fork in the road.

Well, debating definitions seems kinda silly, but when I reflect on my personal experience, it IS a process of gathering information, and that's generally how the second function is defined, sooooo...

Qre:us

secondary Ti = allows you to make decisions and follow these impusles with no regard for any feelings. ENTP Ti isnt really like IXTP Ti, which builds usefule systems. ENTPs use Ti as a default. No Fe or Fi, basically leaves them with Ti, which never stands a chance at saying no to Ne anyways...

I'd agree, esp. with the need for Fe (or any F) to curb the Ne because Ti will always be the slave to its master Ne. I don't know though if other Ne+Ti dom with Si can relate, but, as I grew older, and was able to have readier access to Si (i.e., more in my control, rather than it spurting up whenever it wants)** ....this has also helped me (GREATLY) curb my Ne+Ti. I can remember certain facts that I've heard which goes in the face of whatever Ne+Ti has cooked up....so, I simmer, and cool. And zip.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Well, debating definitions seems kinda silly, but when I reflect on my personal experience, it IS a process of gathering information, and that's generally how the second function is defined, sooooo...

true, but definitions need to be set for effective communication.

no, i meant when you compare something with pervious life experience, it USUALLY has more to do with the introversive side of things...or thats what i got from reading all around this place called the internet

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
After giving this enough thought to be fair to it, my mind doesn't work in any way your examples will cover. Too many huge leaps, random thoughts and crazy connections to put together in a way that any of your answers will work.

It would be more as follows:

you see a a man sweeping small twigs and leaves into pile.

Those are big leaves, reminds me of tracing leaves in kindergarden, I wonder what happened to that crazy teacher I had with the big toenail that looked like a shell.

Or if I'm going to head in your line of thinking. Those boots are norwegian welt stitched, that's not cheap. I wonder why this guy has those boots, his hands are worn, he doesn't mind hard work but clearly has money. Maybe he just likes quality boots.

you walk a little farther and then you see a hole being dug by a teen wearing a safety vest.

I don't like the vibe this kids putting off. I wish the guy in the boots would come bludgeon this dirt bag with his broom!

there is a generous 50 yr old lady feeding some birds.

Wacko!

PS How did we conclude the lady was generous?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
For me it works like this:

Ne is like google. When your mind works like google, you can think about anything without limitations. An Ne brain pretty much functions like google.

To define Ne is impossible, because to me anything can be Ne, and the definition of anything is infinite.

Ti on the other hand is like a dictionary. I comes up with defintions and things. that is why talking to INTP is sometimes like tqalking to a dictionary.