• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Why do INTPs ignore other people's feelings?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Unless you through a book or some other equivalent object at me, I don't recognize others feelings because they really haven't peeked my interest. That or they have long ago in early childhood and i psychoanalized'em enough to understand'em only to loose interest which carries to this day.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
LOL This made me laugh.

After the first time in bed I'm picturing a guy asking "so, am I the biggest you've ever been with?"

The woman responds "by far" as she's thinking to herself "idiot that is".

So do you think the tendency is mostly just contained to just white lies?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hi everyone . I have an intp friend , but he is so hard to understand . I found out that he realy understands other people felings , but he he ignores them .
And now i can't figure out why . as i look at him i see big one unsolvable ridle . PS i am esfp. help . thanks in advance

well, i guess part of it could be that when I have an "outburst", it quickly goes away and I regain my rational thinking... so at times, I think the best way to deal with others'.. feelings, is to just let them get over it. My idea of "dealing with it" is changing the subject and incessantly rambling on about that until the other person forgets why he/she was upset. It doesn't always work, but the people who I need to keep around are agreeable enough (which is why they are still around, i assume).

Part of it might be that I get so confused when I have those surges that I wouldn't begin to know how to deal with the feelings of another person. To maintain a calm and rational atmosphere when another person is "having a moment" I have the approach I mentioned earlier as well as listening and/or silence. If I've really upset someone, it just takes time (which I could see as being perceived as me ignoring his/her feelings).

deleted
To answer your question: coldheartedness, convenience, inexpedience of time, apathy, sometimes negligence.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Errrm. I don't. Sounds like a neat trick, how do you do it?

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
INTP's are very bad with emotions. We often try to deal with emotional issues with logic. Works well unless someone is unpredictable, like an artisan.

L

Lasting_Pain

Actually I understand people's emotions quite well, I just naturally do not give a crap about them. If I want to be nice to a person and show sympathy I would have to think about doing it, which makes my brain hurt. It does not come natural to us as it does to Sfs and NFs.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Author, to me, feelings are most often of secondary consideration. He probably has a lot of WTF moments with you. INTP's have been amed in a book, "The most logical type."

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Actually I understand people's emotions quite well, I just naturally do not give a crap about them.

Ditto.

My mom is upset with me and actually just screamed at me, but I can't give a f- because I have to finish my essay. I'm calm as hell sitting here downstairs with a mug of coffee and a laptop while my mom is upstairs, expecting me to give attention to her emotional BS. I won't give any.

L

Lasting_Pain

Ditto.

My mom is upset with me and actually just screamed at me, but I can't give a f- because I have to finish my essay. I'm calm as hell sitting here downstairs with a mug of coffee and a laptop while my mom is upstairs, expecting me to give attention to her emotional BS. I won't give any.

Yes I never entertain someones emotions unless I seek to be entertain by their response. I can recall doing something similar with my mom.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I find the emotional state of the person in question important to me, I don't ignore their feelings.

If I don't see the importance of their emotional state, I couldn't care less.

Over-emotionality and over reactions and such usually don't get much more then a shrug from me, coupled with at most a short comment like "Get over it.". :p

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ditto.

LOL I can relate. And because of my "J", this is a constant thing for me even when I don't have papers due. I try to get away and hibernate when I have important deadlines, but even then I get emotionally targetted for not turning on/answering my cell phone. There's no where to run.