• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and controlling thoughts

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was inspired by This thread, which seemed to imply that some NFs have a desire to control the hearts and feelings of others, often out of a desire to help said others.

Thus, do NTs have any comparable desires to control what others think, or their approach to thinking? Personally, I have sometimes wished that certain people would adopt an approach to thinking closer to my own, with a greater use of logic and analysis of various options.

Suggestions?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I was inspired by This thread, which seemed to imply that some NFs have a desire to control the hearts and feelings of others, often out of a desire to help said others.

Thus, do NTs have any comparable desires to control what others think, or their approach to thinking? Personally, I have sometimes wished that certain people would adopt an approach to thinking closer to my own, with a greater use of logic and analysis of various options.

Suggestions?

sure. for instance, i wish i could control others who are trying to control my 'heart' and 'feelings' as well as thoughts. however, i'm completely almost over-aware that i can't, so if a person i wish would change is avoidable, then that's what i do.

i can control others to a certain extent, everyone can, but i'm aware that it can't be done to any lasting degree. only a temporary one. to change a person more permanently, they have to want to change. people only change when they want to do so.

to go about attempting to change someone, i would have to be motivated to do it in order to better MY world (and theirs, and it would have to be a last ditch effort), not THE world. i leave that up to those who have an undying need to try it.

to me, it's not logical to think you can change the world by endlessly nagging and judging one person at a time, and unless someone is greatly disturbing their environment somehow, say by committing horrible crimes, then i think it's intrusive and selfish as hell. to each his own.

that being said... here ya go.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know that I want to control others, feelings or thoughts. I'd like to understand them better. I'd also like to be able to better explain to them how I feel / think.

I used to think it was possible to change someone; I think it might be possible for me to control some people - my first marriage comes to mind :rolli: However, I learned from that relationship I don't respect people who let me 'control' them - I think maybe 'run roughshot' would be more appropriate than "control".

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Heh, but no thanks. It's certainly not a goal of mine, just something I sometimes wish I could do when someone frustrates me with their approach to thinking.

Especially when someone is absolutely sure that they're right, and will not consider that I might have any reasons for my own opinion on the subject.:doh:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh, but no thanks. It's certainly not a goal of mine, just something I sometimes wish I could do when someone frustrates me with their approach to thinking.

hey, i just find it interesting to read and thought you may also. not only that, but it's full of information about how it's done in general which works for personal preventive purposes.

Especially when someone is absolutely sure that they're right, and will not consider that I might have any reasons for my own opinion on the subject.:doh:

those are the ones i avoid, and if i can't avoid them, then i find other ways of 'controlling' them. use your imagination.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
those are the ones i avoid, and if i can't avoid them, then i find other ways of 'controlling' them. use your imagination.

Always use government land to dispose of the remains. They don't develop it for years, if ever.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think NTJ's are more oriented toward persuasion than NTP's. I use the term persuasion because "controlling the thoughts of others" sounds like unethical coercion or brainwashing. NTP's tend to think of their thoughts as a flexible, open truth which probably isn't ready for applying to their own life, much less someone else's life. I think NTP's do wish that others would at least fully understand their thoughts. The desire to have someone else adopt their thoughts only happens if it's a critical issue which impacts the NTP.

Regarding persuasion and mind control, I think you should learn as much of it as possible. Knowledge is power, and it's the only way to defend yourself. Remember that non-Vulcans are the most vulnerable to the mindmeld. ;)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
She smiles, but you can bet she's filed it away for future reference.

Never know when a tidbit like that could come in handy... :yes:

actually, i smiled like that for two reasons. one, because i like the way he thinks (i've found that INTJs can be fantastic for morbid yet logical conversations - NOT saying other types can't be of course), and two, because i'd already thought about that.

so again, :devil:

oh, i mean, :D

:devil:

G

GirlAmerica

I have always found myself in a very free-will mode when it comes to others...as it is what I desire for myself.
I want what I think, feel, want etc to be respected.

My emotions can be so fragile when I do choose to give them away...which is indeed very rare.....that I used to try like hell to manipulate keeping others in range of what I would consider safe in a relationship.
Never worked....
Now I just flee from anyone I see not capable of handling that in me...as I am aware people dont change in their core basics...just as I haven't.
I dont give them the chance.
My ENTJ friend gets upset with me, she thinks I am 'closing' down on humanity...and in a sense I am. There have been very few who have given as deeply and purely as I have been willing to do when I am totally connected. Even my own parents.
Growing is one thing, changing to your core is another.