• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Observational Differences Between the ENTJ and the INTJ

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
intjs care about information and knowledge growth, entjs care about power and authority growth.

intps care about theorizng and understanding through thought, entps care about understanding through practice.

G

garbage

We annoy you that much?

Seeing a desire to socialize and have fun as a disadvantage, character flaw, or a weakness definitely annoys me, but it's not about the E/I difference.. I just clash with strong judging types overall. If an ENTJ viewed an INTJ's desire to hang with a few close friends as a character flaw rather than just a difference in personality (which I'm sure many do), I'd deride him just the same.

My comment wasn't meant at you so much as it was the mentality advanced by Rangler's friend. That sort of narrow-minded judgment just grates me.

Now that I think about it, since I'm talking about J rather than E/I, I'm actually completely off-subject :doh:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I still argue that based on their hierarchy of functions (INTJ=NTFS and ENTJ=TNSF), you will find those who know their dominant function will have more in common with their perceiving cousins and may appear more like them (INTJ=ENTP and INTP=ENTJ). Thus I see INTJs and ENTPs having a commonality of needing movement whereas INTPs and ENTJs having a need for control.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I still argue that based on their hierarchy of functions (INTJ=NTFS and ENTJ=TNSF), you will find those who know their dominant function will have more in common with their perceiving cousins and may appear more like them (INTJ=ENTP and INTP=ENTJ). Thus I see INTJs and ENTPs having a commonality of needing movement whereas INTPs and ENTJs having a need for control.

Negative: INTPs can barely control their bodily functions. INTJs are obsessed by controlling stuff and I suspect that so are ENTJs.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. I would not use how social they as necessarily the best indicator. Ive found that only the ENFJs really stand out in that regard. ENXX is still really only going to fully be able communicate with 10-25% of the population. Their extrovertedness is likely to be around ideas.

2. I think both can be as equally "independent" or "controling" depending on the Enneagram and what the situation is.

3. The real distinguishing factors:

-ENTJ is more likely to enjoy regurgitating random factoids (Te)
-ENTJ is more likely to be involved in the sensing world (Se)
-ENTJ is more likely to go from extremes of: hyper rational to loner downer (ISFP shadow)

INTJ is probably more even keeled in their extremes of: hyper rational to wallowing introvert
INTJ is more likely to have issues with the sensing world (athletics, motor skills, driving)
INTJ is less likely to enjoy "knowing everything" than the ENTJ.

4. My sister is INTJ and I am ENTJ. main differences:
-I have 100x as much energy as she does
-I am 100x a better, faster and more aggressive driver
-I enjoy debate and regurgitating factiods 100x more than her
-I enjoy much harsher, louder and more intense music
-I have wider extremes

otherwise we are somewhat similar.

theplacesyoullgo

Basing this exclusively on comparing myself with INTJs I know, I'd totally agree with Babylon Candle.

I like this topic.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Negative: INTPs can barely control their bodily functions. INTJs are obsessed by controlling stuff and I suspect that so are ENTJs.
That's a fallacy based on people's misinterpretation of the J dichotomy which reflects an introverts auxiliary, which means it's not even the introverts dominant function. IJs are dominated by a perceiving function, IPs by a judging function. If you argue the point that a judging function will be more controlling than a perceiving function then INTPs are dominated by one, not INTJs.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's a fallacy based on people's misinterpretation of the J dichotomy which reflects an introverts auxiliary, which means it's not even the introverts dominant function. IJs are dominated by a perceiving function, IPs by a judging function. If you argue the point that a judging function will be more controlling than a perceiving function then INTPs are dominated by one, not INTJs.

I didn't argue that point, I'm just going by the type desciptions. I'm not sure what you mean by IJ being dominated by a perceiving function? Are you refering to Ti and Ni?

"INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them." Not controlling.

"INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types"..."INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities..." Controlling.

"ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshall and direct." Controlling.

From TypeLogic Home Page

MBTI Type
INxJ
2. I think both can be as equally "independent" or "controling" depending on the Enneagram and what the situation is.

3. The real distinguishing factors:

-ENTJ is more likely to enjoy regurgitating random factoids (Te)
-ENTJ is more likely to be involved in the sensing world (Se)
-ENTJ is more likely to go from extremes of: hyper rational to loner downer (ISFP shadow)

INTJ is probably more even keeled in their extremes of: hyper rational to wallowing introvert
INTJ is more likely to have issues with the sensing world (athletics, motor skills, driving)
INTJ is less likely to enjoy "knowing everything" than the ENTJ.

4. My sister is INTJ and I am ENTJ. main differences:
-I have 100x as much energy as she does
-I am 100x a better, faster and more aggressive driver
-I enjoy debate and regurgitating factiods 100x more than her
-I enjoy much harsher, louder and more intense music
-I have wider extremes

otherwise we are somewhat similar.

My best friend is an ENTJ. She does every single thing you mentioned.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I didn't argue that point, I'm just going by the type desciptions. I'm not sure what you mean by IJ being dominated by a perceiving function? Are you refering to Ti and Ni?

"INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them." Not controlling.

"INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types"..."INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities..." Controlling.

"ENTJs have a natural tendency to marshall and direct." Controlling.

From TypeLogic Home Page
Then as a nicety, and based on your rudimentary references, I will refrain.

G

garbage

Incidentally, INTJs feel the need to be right about everything ;)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Is that like a back-handed way of saying sorry, you're right?
No, just my way of being nice instead of going ballistic on your response. You responded by referring to descriptions. No one uses descriptions to argue type. That was way too elementary when there are so many principles of type that could have been pointed to. Anyone with a basic understanding of type knows that if refering to any IJ type means they will dominate with a perceiving function (ISJs=Si/INJs=Ni) and IP with a dominant judging function (ITP=Ti/IFP=Fi). I wasn't sure whether to unload on your response or leave it alone. I merely chose the latter.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
No, just my way of being nice instead of going ballistic on your response. You responded by referring to descriptions. No one uses descriptions to argue type. That was way too elementary when there are so many principles of type that could have been pointed to. Anyone with a basic understanding of type knows that if refering to any IJ type means they will dominate with a perceiving function (ISJs=Si/INJs=Ni) and IP with a dominant judging function (ITP=Ti/IFP=Fi). I wasn't sure whether to unload on your response or leave it alone. I merely chose the latter.

Yes, I understand that but it was never mentioned in the original post so I wondered why you referred to it. There is really nothing to unload on. Regardless of whether or not you argue by desciription or preferences the bottom line is that INTPs are not controlling types.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Yes, I understand that but it was never mentioned in the original post so I wondered why you referred to it. There is really nothing to unload on. Regardless of whether or not you argue by desciription or preferences the bottom line is that INTPs are not controlling types.
The original topic was similarities in the NTJs. My assertion was that INTJs have more in common with ENTP since they have a similar hierarchy in their basic functions. Did you notice that the others who responded knew exactly what I was referring to? It was extremely basic knowledge that you should have picked up on. As for the controlling I am referring to temperament and Berens’ interaction theory of grouping types together based on how they choose to influence others in directing or informing communications, how they define relationships by initiating or responding, and how they focus their attention on a specific outcome when interacting by focusing on control or movement.

These are basics understandings, which if you do not know, then why would you respond? Before you started to type, I would hope you have at least gained some knowledge of the subject in order to interact, and you should know that common use of words do not equate to type terms, i.e., E/I does not equate to being outgoing or shy, T/F does not equate to intelligence or emotions, respectively. Control in this instance merely means INTPs control their information for a specific outcome, as do ENTJs. INTJs do not control their information, because they prefer to see movement as does ENTPs.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am referring to temperament and Berens’ interaction theory of grouping types together based on how they choose to influence others in directing or informing communications, how they define relationships by initiating or responding, and how they focus their attention on a specific outcome when interacting by focusing on control or movement.

Chart the Course (INTJ, ISTP,ISTJ & INFJ) and Get Things Going (ENTP,ESFP,ESTJ & ENFP)types like to see movement in a matter therefore they are more open in their discussion with people to assure they have all the tools and to see movement in a situation. Behind the Scenes (INTP,ISFP,ISFJ & INFP) and In Charge (ENTJ, ESTP, ESTJ & ENFJ) types prefer to be in control, either with their information (the former) or of people (the latter) to assure a specific outcome.

In this case as with all discussion of type, you will not get it by using your everyday understanding of language, i.e., E/I does not equate to being outgoing or shy/T/F does not equate to intelligence or emotions, respectively. Control has a different meaning and INTPs (based on their interaction style) control their information when looking for a specific outcome.

I am aware of the similar preferences and how in that sense INTPs are related to ENTJS. Perhaps I missed an earlier post, or that I was too focused on the word control, or assigned a specific meaning to it.

Thank you for clarifying. I need to investigate Beren's interaction theory it's not something I've come across before. From that point of view I can see how INTPs would be controlling. I am enlightened, thanks.