• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] iNtuition and Cannabis

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to come clean; I love marijuana because it grants me singular focus on iNtuitive-Thinking tasks.

Potheads have a terrible social image because many of them are lazy, unemployed, nonproductive, and so on.

But this isn't really true of most NT pot smokers that I know: it really genuinely enhances creativity by allowing me to temporarily block out Sensory distractions. I've always thought this was incredible but I haven't been able to talk openly with that many people about it.

My INFJ voice teacher always preached adamantly against any kind of smoke inhalation, insisting it would ruin the singing voice. I suppose this may actually be true in the area of music where he works (opera--the epitome of technical vocal perfection), but for me, my performances and writing both improve markedly under the influence of cannabis, and this is something that a lot of people have pointed out about me and that I also have observed in recordings and videos of playing live. It's really insane.

When sober, I can never quite block everything else out and focus entirely on the emotional impact of that particular moment. Often when I'm upset about something or really having trouble mulling over a particular decision in my head, the solution will seem obvious within 10 minutes of lighting up that after-work bowl. The possibilities seem endless.

I haven't really found any compelling evidence to link marijuana use to any serious medical complications other than chronic bronchitis. Even if I did, though, I'm not sure I would want to stop because the augmented mental awareness is such a boon. Granted, it makes my Se/Si even worse, but those are already so weak for me anyway that it's hardly a big deal to trade them for even more Ne+Ti.

So I began to wonder: How do the effects of cannabis correlate with MBTI types? Which drugs are most popular among which types?

As for pot:
--Most SJs I know seem to dislike the lack of physical coordination and control over physical environment that it creates. I've known one serious SJ smoker (he was ISTJ, to be specific), and I think he used it for reasons similar to why SJs over 21 seem to frequently enjoy alcohol: a planned period of relaxation after a hard day's work. (Alcohol is more popular among SJs, though, because it's legal and I guess that's important to some people.)

--SPs, in my experience, just like getting fucked up. They enjoy the perceptual distortions and appreciate the opportunity for a fun, sensory-oriented, tangible experience. On a side note, LSD seems too psychologically-oriented for many of them. A lot of them have tried it, of course, because they'll try anything if it seems fun, but it doesn't seem too popular with them overall. Most cocaine users I've met have been SPs, though at least some are NTs for sure.

--NFs seem to love marijuana for a lot of the reasons I do. It allows one to break even further from S-type real-world responsibilities and cares, and associate freely in N-mode. ENFP smokers are almost invariably really entertaining. INFP smokers (who are, for some reason, far more common than INFJ ones) seem to enjoy just sitting there listening to others speak--I'm sure they're thinking something interesting. I know a couple of ENFJ smokers, and they seem to like having a fun interpersonal activity planned for use during the intoxicated time. Watching movies, socializing with friends, playing a game...and so on.

What is your type and how does marijuana affect you? Do you find the effects desirable?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
INFP smokers (who are, for some reason, far more common than INFJ ones) seem to enjoy just sitting there listening to others speak--I'm sure they're thinking something interesting.

What is your type and how does marijuana affect you? Do you find the effects desirable?

Honestly I must come off as an ENFP smoker then lol because my Ne and my mouth go into pure overdrive with the right people around me. I am a talker when I'm stoned, and actually when I'm not.

I have smoked with another INFP before and I did feel like I was carrying the entire conversation, which was frustrating. I much prefer having a session with my esfp, enfp and isfj friends/brother.

I like cannabis, a couple of doobies, a great cd on, and my creativity really grows. My only beef with it would be that my creativity can at times stay in my head because I'm just too stoned to get it down on paper.

I like it for the reasons you stated, it helps me drift away from a day of mundane concerns and immense responsibilties. In the summer I love nothing better than chilling in the garden late at night enjoying a smoke alone whilst I relax to music and let my imagination take me wherever it may.

It does piss me off how judgemental and up themselves people get at the idea of someone using it to relax, but at the end of the day those kind of people are not my kind of people so they can judge all they want.

To me it's hypocrtical of them to get tipsy on wine, but then get all high and mighty at the idea of someone enjoying a spliff.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Alcohol is more popular among SJs, though, because it's legal and I guess that's important to some people.

Most cocaine users I've met have been SPs, though at least some are NTs for sure.

I was reading an MBTI book for accredited practicioners (I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow it from a certified pro).

The drug abuse of choice for XNTPs is often alcohol.

The drug abuse of choice for SJs is often - surprisingly, I am sure - cocaine and other "hard" drugs.

Perhaps it is about rebellion - when an SJ wants to drop out of their "type" by going off the rails. and losing their place in society, they'll go for something like cocaine, precisely because it is not legal.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Most people I know who smoke are NTs and NFs, followed by SPs. But this might have more to do with the people I tend to know. At large, I think there is NP/SP type and marijuana use correlation.

Weed can seem to amplify feelings or thoughts or it can aid in detaching away from them. If you are tired, it can seem to bring on energy, if you are restless, it can seem like it's chilling you out. I think this can be true for any type. But with type specific things... I think SPs are less likely than NPs to use it for any of the psychedelic effects, and are slightly more likely to enjoy it for the buzz and the novelty of the experience.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't like marijuana. Marockan standard or expensive hashish is good, though.
I do prefer alcohol, however. I become a little too funny when i'm high. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my type: esfp
marajuana effectiveness: very little. I smoke very rarely.

I'm normally a very laid back person. A lot of people think i'm a HUGE burnout based on my personality. When i'm stressed, pot simply brings me back to my original state. I'm high on life, man.

on the intuition thing, I noticed the NTs become more sensorish after smoking pot. They claim to be able to notice more things and thats why things become more funny or more tasty or more enjoyable to them in general. I was going to start a thread on pot and sensing, actually.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funny you should mention it. When I smoke greenery I generally just get introverted and grumpy... When I smoke hashish, though, stuff begins to happen. It's like I can hear and feel every particle in my body clearly all at once. Would love to have sex sometime with that shit in my system :)

Sensorish is the word. If you guys normally feel even close to that, i'd trade my N for an S any fucking day :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
on the intuition thing, I noticed the NTs become more sensorish after smoking pot. They claim to be able to notice more things and thats why things become more funny or more tasty or more enjoyable to them in general. I was going to start a thread on pot and sensing, actually.

Yeah this is definitely true. There's a subtle, but noticeable, effect on the senses. At least a perceived effect. On all 5 of them, now that I think about it, with some people claiming a 6th..

So that can make someone pay more attention to the senses. But it's also easy for some to zone out and turn oblivious to their surroundings while on it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like it...don't smoke often anymore but it's mostly because i recently moved away from everyone i know.
i never just sit there...how boring! i want to talk with friends or redecorate my house or something.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Just a thought.. but employers do search for online presence with potential recruitments. Just ensure if you talk about drug taking that you are not identifiable!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My INFJ voice teacher always preached adamantly against any kind of smoke inhalation, insisting it would ruin the singing voice. I suppose this may actually be true in the area of music where he works (opera--the epitome of technical vocal perfection), but for me, my performances and writing both improve markedly under the influence of cannabis, and this is something that a lot of people have pointed out about me and that I also have observed in recordings and videos of playing live. It's really insane.

Well, the two aren't exclusive. It's pretty scientifically proven that prolonged smoke intake effects your vocals. So those could get worse while your skill improves.

When sober, I can never quite block everything else out and focus entirely on the emotional impact of that particular moment. Often when I'm upset about something or really having trouble mulling over a particular decision in my head, the solution will seem obvious within 10 minutes of lighting up that after-work bowl. The possibilities seem endless.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're being distracted by any Sensation to me. Sounds like you're using Ne too much.

Also, I've never smoked pot, but I've been in these remarkable half sleep/half awake states, sometimes up to a half hour (there are similar brainwaves between that state and ones induced by marijuana). What I've found is that in those states, answers did come really quickly to me. There was a satisfying sense of insight and understanding. There's only one problem. All my decisions made no sense at all. Once I was awake, it occured to me that I was thinking total gibberish. I've talked to people have been stoned, and people that were stoned, and it seems to me that they had the same problem.

I haven't really found any compelling evidence to link marijuana use to any serious medical complications other than chronic bronchitis. Even if I did, though, I'm not sure I would want to stop because the augmented mental awareness is such a boon. Granted, it makes my Se/Si even worse, but those are already so weak for me anyway that it's hardly a big deal to trade them for even more Ne+Ti.

Like I said, if it's really changing this problem of yours, I don't think you're increasing your Ne usage. Maybe you're suring up your Ti, or you'r Introverting your N and getting some Ni action (my hunch is the latter).

So I began to wonder: How do the effects of cannabis correlate with MBTI types? Which drugs are most popular among which types?

I'm almost sure a topic was already done on this. I don't remember what most people said. I don't know if there really is a correlation or not.

Again, never had it. Let me say that my sleep experiences were fascinating, but not something I'd intentionally repeat.

Last edited:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Never done it. But I'm open to it, and I know I'll probably get into it.

I get pissed off when kids my age do it for the social experience. They think it makes them look badass and cool, which it doesn't. When I do it, I won't be trying to impress anyone, obviously, and I won't do it as a social occasion, at least..at this point in time.

If I were to do it now, It'd be with one or two close friends, in a basement or something..put on a nice CD and just kick back..it's the effects on the mind that I'm after, and how it can alter your experiences. Yeah..I'd never do it for the wrong reasons, like so many of my stupid aquantences.

theplacesyoullgo

I'm sorry to go against your thesis of sorts, but marijuana makes definitely makes me more s. I smoke maybe once a month and love to savor the buzz from it. Good food becomes better, and I discover certain sounds in songs I'd never hear without cannabis. Everything slows down and I feel like I'm really connected to whatever I'm doing. Sometimes I'll have those "this is the way I should look at a situation" revelations, but usually nothing extremely deep or meaningful.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i go into idea overload and can really work out solutions quickly and creatively...i think that would be my ne going into overdrive, right?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it hinders productivity and efficiency, and 100% of pot smokers (besides those who do it purely at parties, for image/social reasons) that I know are exactly as you have described the stereotypical pot smoker to be, simulatedworld.

However, I'm not "anti-pot". I have smoked it on occasion in the past (albeit I didn't enjoy it that much), and I have no issue with those who smoke it. I also think it actually does enhance creativity for some people, and I've experienced first-hand what it does to your appreciation of art (be this music or another format).

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to remain clear-headed and focused in the true meaning of the word.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
i go into idea overload and can really work out solutions quickly and creatively...i think that would be my ne going into overdrive, right?

Yeah. My Ti also seems to be filtering out a lot less, and Ne just speeds up.

wolfy

awsm
From what I can remember my Ni would go into overload. In a good way. Good for me but not for anyone who wanted to talk to me.
I could really concentrate and did some good work high.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
--Most SJs I know seem to dislike the lack of physical coordination and control over physical environment that it creates. I've known one serious SJ smoker (he was ISTJ, to be specific), and I think he used it for reasons similar to why SJs over 21 seem to frequently enjoy alcohol: a planned period of relaxation after a hard day's work. (Alcohol is more popular among SJs, though, because it's legal and I guess that's important to some people.)
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. That's exactly why I don't like the idea of drugs. I've told my friends I dislike rollercoasters for the same reason I would dislike alcohol/drugs: a feeling of lack of control over my own body.

All that said, I've never smoked. I've never personally liked the idea of feeling/tasting smoke go down my throat, nose, etc.

The only experience I've had with pot was one time when I was a teenager, at a friend's birthday party there was an impromptu smoking session. I got some food and ate dinner, instead. But I probably caught some of the fumes, because after that, I was laughing for about 10 minutes non-stop. That was funny.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it hinders productivity and efficiency, and 100% of pot smokers (besides those who do it purely at parties, for image/social reasons) that I know are exactly as you have described the stereotypical pot smoker to be, simulatedworld.

However, I'm not "anti-pot". I have smoked it on occasion in the past (albeit I didn't enjoy it that much), and I have no issue with those who smoke it. I also think it actually does enhance creativity for some people, and I've experienced first-hand what it does to your appreciation of art (be this music or another format).

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to remain clear-headed and focused in the true meaning of the word.
+1

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I enjoy it, I don't do it all the time, but I defiently find sitting round with a group of friends smoking a bowl, as enjoyable. I like having a group of 3-4 people where I can watch everything unfold in front of me, also find it helps with creativity. though the first time after not doing it for awhile i tend to start hearing voices and people just appear in the middle of the room, but after a few days that stops and I can smoke without any trouble, around people. I don't know why that happens, maybe I'm just sensitive to it. Which is probably why I don't do it all the time, because I find that first few times the most enjoyable then it starts to lose it's appeal for me.