• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Glenn Gould

MerkW

OK. I have been longing to bring this up for a very long time, so here I go. What type most accurately fits Glenn Gould's personality? If you do not know who he is then I suggest you read this article. Also, here is a link to a youtube video--an accurate documentary about his life and personality (the documentary is divided into 5 segments-the other segments are attached to the first as video responses.)

If you already have a good idea of who he is, and what is personality was like, please do not hesitate to respond. I am pretty sure that he is an xNTx.

MerkW

I'm going with INTP, I think.

Really? I was thinking J more the P: In the recording studio he was a control freak, he pre-scripted all of his so-called "interviews," he had a schedule of his own which he clung to obsessively, and he was preoccupied with keeping lists and charts of data--whether it be his own pulse rate or temperature readings across Canada.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Your best guess would ENTP with a promethean INTP a solid second.

He was busy figuring out the different historical inspirations of Bach, almost absolving himself entirely in Bach's perspective thereby neglecting his own. And yet he really was the Richard Feynman of pianists, introducing radical measures and playing techniques thought insane by other pianists.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Really? I was thinking J more the P: In the recording studio he was a control freak, he pre-scripted all of his so-called "interviews," he had a schedule of his own which he clung to obsessively, and he was preoccupied with keeping lists and charts of data--whether it be his own pulse rate or temperature readings across Canada.

Somehow, I find all of those traits to be more INTP than INTJ.

MerkW

Somehow, I find all of those traits to be more INTP than INTJ.

Not being arrogant, but why is that? I'm quite curious--please explain.

The Richard Feynman analogy is relatively accurate, but apparently he highly valued solitude and isolation, though I guess that those could also apply to an ENTP.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, that does sound more J. I'll say INTJ, then. They're often more secretive than INTPs, actually.

And yes, sticking to schedules is a J thing. Ps are more open-minded.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Well those traits are acutally more indicative of neuroticism which essentially lies outside of the MBTI-model but I have personally observed usually to be higher in INTPs than in INTJs.

sprint race

The Richard Feynman analogy is relatively accurate, but apparently he highly valued solitude and isolation, though I guess that those could also apply to an ENTP.

GG was an ENTP i think. His love of solitude can surely be explained by him suffering from aspergers or a psychological problem. Despite his need for routine (imo an aspergers symptom), he did like change and innovation, often playing classcial pieces in novel ways and experimenting. He was known for choosing to play pieces very fast - for example his version of beethoven's moonlight sonata, spoke very quickly - in fact did everything at great haste/speed which is often attributed to ENTP's but not INTP's. Furthermore he seemed more argumentative and keen on debating than most INTPs would.