• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT music

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
My favorite band, bar none, is Rush.

I do also like Foxy Shazam (though no one knows who they are... yet), System of a Down, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Nine Inch Nails, Yoko Kanno... and a lot more. I do like some power/speed metal, but I've started to kind of grow bored of it as it all seems to sound the same. The stuff I like tends to be multi-layered, though this isn't always the case. But I don't get tired of complex music nearly as quickly as other stuff.

F

FigerPuppet

Felt like posting in this thread after seeing the "sensor music"-thread.

I usually judge by a song-by-song basis, but I sometimes stumble upon albums containing only good songs - the most recent one being Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends by Coldplay

Here's my favourite song by Coldplay:
YouTube - Coldplay - Life In Technicolor ii (HD)

Genres I like:
  • Alternative (Muse, Coldplay)
  • Classical (From Beethoven and Bach to Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard)
  • Electronica (BT)
  • House music
  • Psychedelic trance (Infected Mushroom)

Genres I dislike:
  • Hardstyle
  • Death metal/Satanic metal/Grindcore/Every sub-genre of metal where growling/screaming or playing like you're having a seizure is a requirement fucking sucks.
  • Rap (I do not listen to the lyrics)
  • Pop (High School Musical :ranting:)
  • R&B

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I said this in another thread, but I like melancholy, atmospheric music that has individualistic use of vocals and instrumentation. Stuff like Bjork or Sigur Ros. I like for my music to be really emotional (but not sentimental or sugary).

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said this in another thread, but I like melancholy, atmospheric music that has individualistic use of vocals and instrumentation. Stuff like Bjork or Sigur Ros. I like for my music to be really emotional (but not sentimental or sugary).

Wooooooot.

Hawker45

It seems my music tastes seem to fall in same the areas as you Ns. Ambient and Trance to stuff like Tool and Karnivool. Anything with a dark atmosphere is the best i can explain it. Everything except country and rap. I like music to have an intense emotion, whatever it may be, and multilayered. If anyone has heard Change Pt 1 by Karnivool, thats what im talking about.

Oh and i better advertise while im here. Elation Theory <- My band if anyone's interested.

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Quite odd that I have developed a love of music from the 60's and 70's. My favorite artist(s) are James Taylor Carole King and Jimi Hendrix. I like a bunch of others just those are my favorite.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Staralfur and Glosoli are two of my favorite songs ever, the beginning of Staralfur gives me chills every time. Do you like My Bloody Valentine or Godspeed You! Black Emperor or any other shoegazing stuff?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Staralfur and Glosoli are two of my favorite songs ever, the beginning of Staralfur gives me chills every time. Do you like My Bloody Valentine or Godspeed You! Black Emperor or any other shoegazing stuff?

Didn't catch this post. I absolutely love Staralfur, but my favorite is Gong (and that EP he did...Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do). I've not really listened to My Bloody Valentine, but I do like Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Other stuff that I think falls into the genre you mentioned (that I like) are Broken Social Scene, Silversun Pickups (a little), The Jesus and Mary Chain, and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Also, some techno-ish stuff like Boards of Canada.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly trance, classical influence, etc. But I enjoy many songs from many different types of music.

Basicly all kinds of music with build ups and releases.

Songs that chill my spine are best of all.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Pretty much anything deliberate, with something to say.

As far as pop goes, I've noticed that the post-punk and new wave era is pretty much home base for me. Most of the artists I like, either they come (rhetorically) straight out of CBGB's or they're heavily influenced by the acts of that period. Straight line from there to Nine Inch Nails, for instance.

Bizarrely, you can say the same of REM -- which I don't so much listen to anymore, though it's the first band I really got into. If they'd stopped around Fables of the Reconstruction, people would be calling them the American Joy Division.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Music I like usually must have:

• some element of repetition
  • some sort of 'kinetic' feel
  • synthesizer is acceptable as long as it's tasteful
  • some element of harmony

So this covers everything from OK Go and Franz Ferdinand to Philip Glass and sundry fugues. Oh, fugues especially are awesome.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
My current obsessions are psychobilly/gothabilly, horrorpunk and indie rock.

In a few months who knows.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I listen to a lot of electronica, especially ambient music... mostly because I love the abstraction and the unique textures.
Sound art is really inspiring to me. It reminds me of random, sometimes weird memories from years and years ago. I love that.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Same here! I also agree with Boards of Canada.
Geogaddi was what got me into ambient. :wubbie:

My favorite band, bar none, is Rush.

I do also like Foxy Shazam (though no one knows who they are... yet), System of a Down, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Nine Inch Nails, Yoko Kanno... and a lot more. I do like some power/speed metal, but I've started to kind of grow bored of it as it all seems to sound the same. The stuff I like tends to be multi-layered, though this isn't always the case. But I don't get tired of complex music nearly as quickly as other stuff.

Yoko Kanno's work is genius.
(Although I've only heard Ghost in the Shell stuff. It's bloody amazing.)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I tend to like shoegaze (dream pop, really) and psychedelic music. I just don't know of too many bands that play the kind of sound I like, but whatever, I'll do more searching sometime. I also enjoy listening to rock, and instrumental music (I would say classical, but a lot of classical music bores me.) A lot of the stuff I listen to is Japanese indie rock, mainly because I love the sound of the Japanese language and because Japan has some really kickass bands and artists. the pillows, anyone?

EDIT: Green Bird by Yoko Kanno is AMAZING.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Funk.

I like some songs of the various rock genres (not much into metal, punk, or emo), some hip-hop and R&B, some electronic/trance, and some oldies. As someone said earlier, a song-by-song basis is necessary to explain my tastes.

However, as of late I've come to appreciate the musical brilliance that is the funk style. I may start a thread on it later, if no one has done so already.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Funk.

I like some songs of the various rock genres (not much into metal, punk, or emo), some hip-hop and R&B, some electronic/trance, and some oldies. As someone said earlier, a song-by-song basis is necessary to explain my tastes.

However, as of late I've come to appreciate the musical brilliance that is the funk style. I may start a thread on it later, if no one has done so already.

Playing funk bass with a good drummer feels like...winning.

(To borrow a phrase from a mousterful linguist.)

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Outside of pop as such, well.

Twentieth century classical is often interesting. Shostakovich, Mahler. Some stuff that bridges the Classical and Romantic eras -- Brahms, say.

And German cabaret music -- Kurt Weill -- yes indeed. Cab Calloway comes pretty close to an American parallel.

Hi de hi de hi de ho!

I see a bunch of parallels between cabaret music and the post-punk movement. Same mentality, and many of the same conclusions.