• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT music

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
What do you guys like to listen to?

though not a very sad person i like depressing emotional music.. something I would think an NF would probably be more interested in. I especially like 90s music.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I have a pretty wide variety, though my playlist is dominated by 90's era music (mostly Grunge artists)

But I also listen to some hiphop, and I have this weird thing for older rap (Bone Thugs n' Harmony, 2-pac, etc..)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am mostly into relatively atmospheric, melancholic, dark and slow music. For the past year or so my taste has been dominated by singer-songwriters, like Van Morrison, Nick Drake, Sun Kil Moon, Antony and the Johnsons, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Bon Iver and Björk. I listen to rock, indie, electronic and some metal, but very little hip-hop. I often like elements of progressive, ambient, jazz and classical in my music. I also gravitate towards relatively new music. I hardly listen to lyrics, but prefer relatively abstract lyrics for atmosphere. The atmosphere thing is important part because I am almost exclusively an album listener. Otherwise I am a sucker for vocal harmonies and generally the human voice as an instrument.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I used to like metal, until I realised my mood patterns prior to listening to it, and then after. I would always be feeling dark, gloomy and misanthropic afterwards. So I stopped listening to it. I couldn't shift the negative emotions naturally, so I would put on a stand-up comedy DVD to cheer myself up. Or reach an emotional equilibrium. Either way.

A lot of people define their music tastes by genre. I don't? I happen to listen to what aurally pleases me, especially where the artist is also the songwriter. I like that. To name drop a couple: Dido, Lily Allen, Newton Faulkner, Frou Frou, Alkaline Trio and Innerpartysystem. I love Alkaline Trio's lyrics. Their old stuff is riddled with warped wordplay and dark humour.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
I always love music on a song-by-song basis, so I only have a few artists I really like 'in general'. The type of music and whatnot seems to go to every end of a circular spectrum, but I do tend to prefer ambient, atmospheric music, even if that atmosphere is one of ear-breaking bass and a smoky male voice rocking it out.

Giving examples wouldn't really do much because I have one, perhaps two songs for most of the artists I listen to. Music = mood matching or alteration, with me. I'll either close my eyes and lean back to zone out in my own inner realm, or rock out to the beat and/or lyrics via dancing or working my punching bag.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a heavy metal / hard rock fan. Also some electronic

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Depends on my mood/state of mind.

Right now, I'm listening to Portishead and Beth Gibbons. They have the same ethereal other-worldly vibe as Bjork's. But I have to admit this kind of sound is not my everyday cup of tea. For example, I find a lot of Bjork songs for somewhat inaccessible.

Mostly I love classic rock: The Velvet Underground, The Kinks, Dire Straits. Throw in Bob Dylan and and even some mellow pop rock such as the Beatles and I'm happy.

I also love good ol' soulful sounds, like Marvin and Tammi, The Beach Boys, The Ronettes, The Shirelles and other innocent bands of the sixties. I think Phil Spector's Wall of Sound is amazing.

I could go on and on about music.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have to say this, I don't get why people like Bob Dylan. I have tried him many times, but he just feels outdated to me. I seem to simply dislike his sound, because I just can't get into him. I also listened to The Velvet Underground yesterday, and I felt they had a kind of similar sound. Can't ever imagine myself getting into them. The sound quality are quite shitty on some of those old records too, which I seem to be sensitive towards. Another overrated singer-songwriter is Leonard Cohen - damn his shit is boring!

theplacesyoullgo

Are you asking about stereotypically NT music or what we personally listen to? I'd say stereotypical NT music is like... Nine Inch Nails, Tool, David Bowie, Massive Attack, R.E.M., Rush, Steely Dan. I do listen to most of the aforementioned, but I also like a lot of music from artists who seem NF: Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Portishead, Elliott Smith, Ani DiFranco. Small selection of what I actually listen to, but yeah.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you asking about stereotypically NT music or what we personally listen to? I'd say stereotypical NT music is like... Nine Inch Nails, Tool, David Bowie, Massive Attack, R.E.M., Rush, Steely Dan.

where did that come from? i have NOTHING against steely dan...but hah...it stuck out like fat bastard at an anorexia convention.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Classical, Bossanova, Jazz, Light Rock, and just random classics that I pick up.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My ENTP friend, Will. This is straight from what he has listed on his Facebook:

The Stimulus Package
Phish
Primus
Bernie Worrell
Bill Laswell
La Bottine Souriante
The World/Inferno Friendship Society
Rage Against the Machine
Aesop Rock
Leisure Colony
The Bubonic Souls
The Faculty
Jurassic 5
DJ Frane
The Chemical Brothers
Beck
Immortal Technique
DJ Shadow
Cut Chemist
DJ\Rupture
Morphine
Edgar Meyer
Radiohead
Les Claypool
Leo Kottke
The Mountain Goats
Bootsy Collins
Mastodon
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Wu Tang Clan
De La Soul
Nas
Tool
The Talking Heads
The Butthole Surfers
The Beach Boys
Danger Mouse
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Opeth
Gorgoroth
The Kinks
Nick Drake
Soulive
Ben Folds 5
The Flaming Tsunamis
Jaco Pastorious
High On Fire
Blackalicious
Aborted
Parliament/Funkadellic
Fucked Up
The Bug
The Beastie Boys
Ween
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Sorry it's such a long list.

theplacesyoullgo

where did that come from? i have NOTHING against steely dan...but hah...it stuck out like fat bastard at an anorexia convention.

I wasn't trying to stick to a genre, and I thought Steely Dan actually seemed more NT than any of them. Their lyrics are pure NT.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Almost every genre. In fact, bout the only stuff I don't particularly enjoy is country and rap. I find that's pretty common among NTs. As for my favorites? That shifts. Right now I'm in a metal mood, in a few weeks it'll probably be something else.

Hmm... one thing that does seem to remain constant though, is that I tend to enjoy instrumental songs more.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Instead of listing a bunch of bands I'll list genres.

Rock
- Classic rock
- Psychedelic/acid/jam bands
- Some modern rock
- Some blues-rock

Rap
- Independent
- Some mainstream and old school

Electronic
- Psytrance
- Breaks
- DnB
- Chillout
- House
- Progressive
- Ambient
- Electro
- Downtempo

Misc. and "only listen to sometimes"
- Funk
- World music
- R&B
- Metal (Mostly the fringe genres)
- Classical

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
FOO FIGHTERS, Linkin Park, Jamie Cullum, Led Zepplin, GnR, The Hives, The white stripes, The Cooks, the view, kings of leon, ALEX CORNISH!!! THE LEGENDS THAT ARE "THE D", Nirvana, THE BEETLES, Nickelback, Artic Monkeys, Razorlight, WOLFMOTHER, DON ROSS (FINGERSTYLE GUITAR GUY THAT KICKS ASS AND HE IS HALF SCOTTISH), Andy Mckee, James Morrison, Paulo Nutini, Kiaser Chiefs, Oasis, Biffy Clyro, Kate Nash, The Who, SEASICK STEVE (this guy is the most insane hobo ever!), Lost prophets, 30 seconds to mars, the good the bad and the queen, The Wombats, the hoosiers, Coldplay, KT tunstell, EDITORS, red hot chili peppers and about another 50 or so bands i cant remember off the top of my head. Basically alternative rock! with some other styles mixed in!