• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Is the neighborhood pariah an ENTP?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know what type the guy is but I'd make him understand you don't care about his intelligence that much. Some people don't realize it's okay to relax. Not a sin to appear dumb. Nor to actually be dumb.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's definitely an ENTP-pariah correlation. And we even have an example of one right on this forum: Eck.

Though I think it's more common with ESTPs. And on a semi-related note, I guarantee the most common type in jail is ESTP.

Hahahahhaha That is too funny!! I'm sorry..my emotions got ahead of my mind..lol

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know what type the guy is but I'd make him understand you don't care about his intelligence that much. Some people don't realize it's okay to relax. Not a sin to appear dumb. Nor to actually be dumb.

yup, and as a P, i don't have a problem at all with admitting i don't know everything and that to learn, i have to hear other people, not just myself.

also, i wouldn't base an entire type on eck. to do that type of thing limits learning as well.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Being that my interactions with ENTPs usually involve them being dicks at some point, how do I tell if they're being a dick intentionally (i.e. they want me to go away) versus they're being a dick inadvertently (i.e. they are social/emotional n00bs.)?

Thanks in advance! :D

Gosh Iwakar, that's so hard to tell. I'm sorry..I can take an educated guess across a scenario..but..

ENTPs are just about the hardest people to understand..very complex. Look for a cracked smile..could tell if they are doing it for sport. But if the sense of humor is dry you mightn't not tell. Then again, INFJs see into people very easily.

It could be they want to focus on whatever they're thirsting to know or study. They might appear cold (or what you said) if they're preoccupied. It's not that they're arrogant..althought I understand this view on them, it's that they are thinking or picking up knowledge. And you might feel put-off when attempting to emotionally connect. The ENTP should become more sensitive to others and see this sharing as an emotional learning-to grow themselves.

I would suggest mentioning that in a subtle way..try showing them the absence of this learning by mentioning what you have to offer emotionally and then removing yourself..they might recognize the loss and learn to appreciate your gifts.:)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's much more likely the guy is ESTJ , ISTJ or ENTJ... in that order.
They are far more likely to be the type of person that "knows everything" and opinionated enough about it to make everyone hate them.

I know some ESTJs and an ISTJ who sound exactly like what you describe, though I'm also familiar enough with ENTJs that they could fit the bill, too.

An INTJ tends to specialize in their knowledge in a few areas... not so broad.

I disagree with the reason you think he's a P... i.e. adapted quickly. an STJ could have done that too. That whole "knows more than the people who've lived here 4 years" screams STJ.

ENTPs are actually much more careful about creating good relationships with people around them. They're not so black and white and offensive.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

I 'get' this..I imagine, yes, he's plausibly an ENTJ. It may seem off the topic, but how tall is this person?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think he's okay with his job. He was just raised in an overly-strict catholic home, so he's often, I think, consciously bashing anything mainstream. Also, he's just one of those people who never learned to have tact and flexibility.

So, in some ways, I'm reluctant to type him as an SJ. He's always reacting against society's long-held rules.

Anyway, I get the feeling he's not just an unhappy type. I think he's been weird for a long time. This isn't a recent development in his life.

Strict home is one thing...if it was ruled with an iron fist then yes this is conceivable..ENTPs are the most reluctant to regard convention a genuine, lasting value.
If he's and ENTP and feels he's been supressed in such an environment, he may have made a deal with his conscience at the uncomfort of that and his going against the social grain in order to pave a way to create the environment necessary to allow his need to be creative and innovate (even though this may not be apparent to others). I could see that if a strict environment was the one he predominantly lived in most of his childhood and experienced. That might have also limited his being permitted to away from home to be around others and learning normal social skills.

I'd be reluctant to think he were an S...SJs, although yearning impact, are still sensitive to their surroundings and will likely stay within boundaries of acceptable societal conventions from a social standpoint.

Perhaps a lot of his behaviour is much learned..If he's an ENTP he may not know his temperament well, or where his true role lies and how he 'fits in'. Afterall, there probably aren't many of his type around to witness.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
okay, when the question was asked, it was okay to answer "no", right?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are usually way too laid back to try to force their opinions on others.
Flagrant falsehood.
You are laid back. Not all ENTPs are.
__TPs impose judgement quite frequently, but, that being introverted, it's not always done so overtly or conventionally.

they're also capable of not only seeing other people's perspectives and respecting them, but are also willing to learn by at least listening.
Indeed. What's also true is that they have their own perspectives and would like to, at least every so often, to have them be heard and respected.

sure, they can be an ass, and debate/argue for the fun of it, but it's not to the death because they think they've got it all figured out and everyone else needs to just get in line.
Again you enforce your bias. Your habits might not be entirely consistent with supposed ENTP "habits" and neither are mine because such a thing doens't exist.

To assume there is, is to preserve misconceptions about what type is.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i respect that you have an opinion.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
:)

I shan't impose my opinion on you, but I am right.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I 'get' this..I imagine, yes, he's plausibly an ENTJ. It may seem off the topic, but how tall is this person?

Yeah, he's pretty tall. Definitely over 6 feet. Don't see how that applies, but...

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
okay, when the question was asked, it was okay to answer "no", right?

Of course. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I wanted to see what everyone else thought. Right now, I'm leaning more toward him being an ENTJ or ESTJ. He seems like a very judicious person. He's incredibly opinionated and sometimes pushes his opinions on others. The thing that led me to him being a P was that he's really ADD. He's always moving from topic to topic. He's kind of scatterbrained like some INTPs, but he's definitely extroverted.

Anyway, I think he's a J now. He's just a really scatterbrained J.

What do you guys think of that?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, he's pretty tall. Definitely over 6 feet. Don't see how that applies, but...
Doesn't that mean that he towers over practically everyone else?

I'm only 5'1" and I have a cousin about my height. He got sent to Japan through the military and one of the first things he wrote back home was "I feel tall!" LOL! When you're 5'1", that doesn't happen a lot, let me tell you!

I think the question-asker thought perhaps the pariah's height was making him feel superior and thus boosting his already overly-inflated ego... just guessing.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Of course. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I wanted to see what everyone else thought. Right now, I'm leaning more toward him being an ENTJ or ESTJ. He seems like a very judicious person. He's incredibly opinionated and sometimes pushes his opinions on others. The thing that led me to him being a P was that he's really ADD. He's always moving from topic to topic. He's kind of scatterbrained like some INTPs, but he's definitely extroverted.

Anyway, I think he's a J now. He's just a really scatterbrained J.

What do you guys think of that?
scatterbrained would lead me more toward S, since an N would mostly stay on the main big-picture.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- when I was a kid I thought that a pariah was a type of fish- I was so disappointed to learn that it is a PERSON :cry:

The person in question is something.... immature. Anything other than that is mere speculation.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've never met an ENTP who "likes details". Me, I barely even notice them, let alone like them. But the protective suit thing puts me in mind of when I asked someone if they knew a collective term for hands and feet that was equivalent to limbs for arms and legs. it's exactly because a word like that allows me to further generalise that I want to know it, though, and not because I like to get hung up on details!

Apart from that, he does sound sorta like a characature ENTP gone wrong. I can see how my type if very young/immature/spoilt could end up like that, but it's a real worst case scenario... most ENTP's seem to me to be pretty benevolent and easy going, and moreover, usually well liked in whatever community they're in, if often resented by a minority - if the people who are real sticklers for tradition and details of etiquette are the minority, as they have been most places I've been.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, there's this guy who lives in the same town as me in Japan. Since he's one of only a few native-English speakers in the town, we sometimes hang out. There are about five other towns in my area, and I know most of the young foreigners there, too. Anyway, almost everyone in the area HATES this guy's guts. A few of us try to get along with him (since we know how lonely it can be when you're along in a foreign country), but everyone else wants to rip the guy's throat out. I know, because that was my initial reaction to him.

Anyway, I was trying to type the guy, but I can't decide on what he is, although I think he's an NT, perhaps ENTP. Here are some of his traits:
opinionated, uses dramatic big words, insensitive to others' feelings, extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects, likes to explore/get lost, incredibly talkative (his nick-name is Mr. Loquacious), brags a lot, esoteric, confident, snide to anyone with opposite views, and argumentative.

He seems to have a huge thirst for knowledge, and he seems pretty comfortable being thrown into new situations. He knows more about the area than people who have lived here 4 years, but he's only been here a few months. Therefore, I think T and P. Still, he's also really opinionated and stubborn.

Then, he loves to hear himself talk, which is one of the reasons people seems to hate him. In big groups he dominates the discussion, usually with something nitpicky and self-promoting. In small groups, it's easier to step in to the conversation and interrupt him. E or I?

The guy really lacks tack and is always accidentally insulting people. Is this an S function more than an N one? I just can't see this guy being an SP or even an SJ.

I had a small argument with the guy over semantics recently. We were arguing about whether there is a catch-all term for protective suits like bunny suits and hazmat suits. My argument was that I didn't care to distinguish between them in my day to day life (I'm an English teacher, for Pete's sake!) His response was that he always tries to be as specific and correct in speech as possible, no matter how offensive someone else may take it. Very NTP, I think. I said that I'd rather generalize and move on to something else. Very INTJ. I like overview, he likes details.

Anyway, I mostly get along with the guy (because I only see him very sparingly). When lacking a conversation piece, I ask him for information about something obscure. I'm morbidly curious to hear some of his strange opinions and ideas.

Tell me what you think. Have you ever met an ENTP gone wrong? Did I type him wrong?

ENTJ
-commandment of facts
-AJ Ayer style of "words must be accurate and specific" haha
-if im not in a "get stuff done" setting, i can be very tangent thinking.
-ENTPs usaully have a lot more tact

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
ENTJ
-commandment of facts
-AJ Ayer style of "words must be accurate and specific" haha
-if im not in a "get stuff done" setting, i can be very tangent thinking.
-ENTPs usaully have a lot more tact
Actually, I've had discussions with ESTJs playing semantics games with me... or actually willfully refusing to accept my explanation of what I meant after they misunderstood me.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I've had discussions with ESTJs playing semantics games with me... or actually willfully refusing to accept my explanation of what I meant after they misunderstood me.

im no ESTJ and i love "playing semantics" unless there is linguistic superstition involved