• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Difference between genius and normal peson or just between intuitive and sensing?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I m sorry for my " creative use of the english language" i ended working on my english propably two years ago... but i ll promise it will get better!

But there are some sensing "geniuses"( do not know the exact word in english): mozart f. example, or ricahrd wagner or van gogh, for example... so genius in arts, which is proplably dominated by introverted Sensors

How about Hendrix (ISFP)?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hello all,
We know that most geniuses cared more about things (systems, music, physics, religion whatever) than people... but is it just because of the diference between itntuitive and sensing or not?? or a differnce of another functions-
and what about you are you a more interested in people or things?....

wow... rock on !

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think genius is sort of an artificial grouping. the topicality needs to be addressed a little better before you start trying to type them.

a genius tattoo artist-an ISTP
a genius physicist-an INTP
a genius physician-an INTJ
a genius painter-I dont know

see what I mean?
There are so many assumptions there. If you type great guitarists as SP because of their skill, then go on to say that they're great guitarists because they're SP, that's circular reasoning.

Similarly, I have issues with the IQ test-definition of "genius". If the IQ test is designed to test intuitiveness, intuitives would score higher. Does that mean that geniuses tend to be intuitives? No, it just means that they scored higher on a test that was designed to test that function.

Another parallel can be drawn with ISTJs and history tests.

having said that in the sciences I have seen-biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, and math, Ss not only are they not great but are usually pretty unhappy at it. IQ is not the issue, but thier innate tendancy is not to think this way. The Ss who end up in advanced studies here tend to have been med-school wannabies or have a family tradition of Ns in the field and they think the field thus defines thier success.

I am curious about how many people you have met in these fields. Or is it a general impression based on existing prejudices?

Among the biochemists whom I know, the ISTJ in the lab next door and the ESTJ in my lab are the most competent people I have ever worked with. They are not only good at what they do - they're also very interested in how things can be improved (but their first tendency is to rely on the old method). Being innovative may not be their "innate" way of processing things, but they're a hell of a lot better at it than some of the supposed intuitives I know, who just go off on all tangents with no focus (and therefore no result).

I am also curious how you managed to distill sensor types in science down to "med-school wannabies [sic]" or people trying to conform to their families. Neither of the SJs I listed as examples above are in that category, nor are many of the other SPs and SJs I know in the department.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about the fact that many "geniuses" are probably ignored and sidelined. Some never get acknowledge at all, or decades, even hundreds of years after their time.
A prime example would be Gregor Mendel. I don't know what MBTI type he would be. Maybe an ISTJ?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How about the fact that many "geniuses" are probably ignored and sidelined. Some never get acknowledge at all, or decades, even hundreds of years after their time.
Dude, the issue is that's how most failed artists and idiots think of themselves.

Maybe it's time to grow up and stop trying to put flashy stickers on everybody's forefronts.

sade

Some never get acknowledge at all, or decades, even hundreds of years after their time.
A prime example would be Gregor Mendel. I don't know what MBTI type he would be. Maybe an ISTJ?
He was acknowledged in his time, most people just didn't understand the theory (though attempts were made) untill the beginning of 1900's..

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
here's a working definition for ya:
Genius: The way self proclaimed intellectuals like to think of themselves
normal: the way self proclaimed intellectuals think of you.

Makes things really fascinatingly funny when you put two of those together.

R

Riva

Lol... dick move imo! take into account English isn't exactly his first language :p it's prolly like his 8th...

Secondly there is a HUGE pro-N bias on this message board which has devolved into the silent belief that "Senors can't do physics or philosophy or anything other than art", which is utterly retarded. So no, I don't think genius vs normity is about N vs S.... Ns just linger here so you have this incredible bias because the intelligent sensors are out in the "real world" applying and doing.

"When you little scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle"

bravo well said.

and i have some more to add (if you bother reading at all)

well although i agree with nozflubber i must point out that most Genius type of guys are Intuitive s. but the thing is Intuitiveness(intuition) is not a Unique feature only shared by N types. the difference between a sensor and a N type is that an N type is open to his/her intuition. whereas S types are rather suspicious about it. they want proof(concrete examples and proof). and as we all know intuition doesn't give you proof because it doesn't speak English. so S types don't act on their intuition. and i have noticed the more you are open to your intuition(the more you act on it) the more you get intuitive answers. these hunches.

what is Intuition anyway. well the easiest way to describe intuition is "the immediate apprehension of an object by the mind without the intervention of any reasoning process".

and why do you get intuitive answers? well the simplest reason behind is as i see it is that when you really badly wants to know something and you do not base your answer on past experiences(like S type) you just GET IT. you really don't know where you get it from but you just do. i am pretty sure S types get these hunches too, but they don't act on it. and are rather suspicious about it. so they mus be also getting these BRILLIANT theories like N types but they don't act on it/believe it. (dammit i am repeating myself)

so you see, there is a genius inside every one of us, giving us hunches. but only few are ready to accept those AHA moments.

R

Riva

i think more could be written about this subject. where are the INTPs?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
We're too busy being geniuses.
here's a working definition for ya:
Genius: The way self proclaimed intellectuals like to think of themselves
normal: the way self proclaimed intellectuals think of you.

:whistling:

and in the next thread we'll be looking for a working definition for delusions

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Senors can't do physics or philosophy or anything other than art"

...and even then we are just moving things round till they look good, real creativity and complexity is exclusive to Ns apparently.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
...and even then we are just moving things round till they look good, real creativity and complexity is exclusive to Ns apparently.

Actually that's pretty much how intuitives do it too. People just move things around in their head until it looks good.

sculpting

I am curious about how many people you have met in these fields. Or is it a general impression based on existing prejudices?

Among the biochemists whom I know, the ISTJ in the lab next door and the ESTJ in my lab are the most competent people I have ever worked with. They are not only good at what they do - they're also very interested in how things can be improved (but their first tendency is to rely on the old method). Being innovative may not be their "innate" way of processing things, but they're a hell of a lot better at it than some of the supposed intuitives I know, who just go off on all tangents with no focus (and therefore no result).

I am also curious how you managed to distill sensor types in science down to "med-school wannabies [sic]" or people trying to conform to their families. Neither of the SJs I listed as examples above are in that category, nor are many of the other SPs and SJs I know in the department.

Undergrad biochmist, grad school biophysics, four years in lab in biotech and two years in technical marketing.

Advanced studies-grad school-extensive interaction across med school, chemistry, biochemistry and physics. almost everybody is a strong NT. The one ESTJ I knew had a stellar PhD dissertation but was hated by the whole department for being pushy and self centered. He went to law school, finished top in his class, and makes a lot of money now. I dropped out with a MS. I'm a feeeeelllerr. I kept distracting the others and they could hear me on adjacent floors.

In RnD biotech-For fun we all took the online mbti-all the chemists and biochemists in the RnD building in biotech. Keep in mind the high numbers of PhDs in RnD. 35 NTs, 1 NF, 2 SJs and 1 SP. The SP bcame a stay at home mom, The NF (me) went into marketing, one SJ moved into oracle data analytics, and the other is by far the worst research scientist I have ever seen. She has cost us so much money becuase she cant ever think outside of the box or accept others interpretations of data. Totally useless. Lab techs tend to be more diverse type wise than scientists and directors given the lower level degree.

Outside of RnD, and in manufacturing, QC and QA you have much more type diversity. Almost exclusively BS degrees. We serve a mixed clinical/life science market so have a very heavy load of med techs who are almost exclusively ISTJs. NPs would be the worst med techs EVER. On the manufacturing line and in QC are happy SJs, and a type mix of other unhappy med school wannbes who didnt make it. They typically last a few years and find other stuff to do that makes them happier.

Our QA department is exclusively ISTJ, with one odd exception, an ENFJ. WTF? he is really nice but sucks.

sales and marketing is exclusively P, about 90% ESTP. We need more long term vision here.

My guess is that your SPs and SJs are BS lab techs or the exception rather than the rule. If you think your whole department is SP/SJ, then you are mistyping them.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i think more could be written about this subject. where are the INTPs?
We're too busy being geniuses.

(I believe the first step to tackling this fascinating OP is to find some sort of consensus on the definition of "genius," which probably has about 3203439 defintions. Good luck with that.....)

:popc1:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I think you all are refering to genius of the last 500 years. The world is shifting to where genius in a whole diffrent field is needed besides art and physics. We'll need genius in something where a little detail seen by p and not by n exists. I think from roughly 500 years ago toward the past genius was seen in the one who spotted the enemy tribe aproaching or a tired out deer that is easier catching. Whado u think, GAW.