• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] help w a troublesome entp

sculpting

Hi guys,

I need advice on how to deal with this person and how, possibly, to help them.

44 yold guy who I work with. Mostly offsite but lots of communication back to the home front.

His is very clever, very good at the tactical work he does, and has vision which is sorely lacking at my istj heavy company.

however he is burning bridges everywhere and has pissed off, well just about everyone.

he is usally right and visionary, however when expressing his opinion :

-will be arrogant and dismissive of others
-will talk over them
-will blow off what they say
-is very physical and emotive in his communication style-talks loudly, lots of expressions and hand gestures
-honest to a fault about the flaws in those he is working with
-basically has told an entire group he should be in charge of them
-is quite ignorant of how to deal with "normal" people

I can take his opinion, present it is a different style and actually make progress internally with the different groups. The opinion is correct, however he is the problem, usually.

He is really an odd entp. I assumed he was an INTJ for a while given some of the early communication issues I noted. However he goes black and white from Ti when he is working on the topic of choice, to a manic Ne-Fe craziness when off the clock/topic. Like there is no middle ground.

When in Ne-Fe mode he Hits on all the women, well everywhere, and is one of the most hyperactive people I have ever seen. Parties like a crazed maniac.

I need this person as an important cog in the organizational structure but he is causing havoc amongst the ranks.

How does he learn to shut the fuck up? my entp firends say they leanred this at like 15 when they got the crap kicked out of them a few times for sharing unwanted opinions.

thoughts and ideas?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
the inability to do some pretty basic projecting into the future to see how acting the way he does will eventually have negative consequences is not what i'd call smart.

sounds like he needs to know, or at least be completely convinced, that he isn't as unique and irreplaceable as he thinks he is. until he wraps his head around that, he, like any other asshole, won't see the need to change.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
He needs to move company, its draining the life out of him and he needs more freedom in an environment that can use his skills and give him the respect he needs.

Right now the SJ's have beat it all out of him and this kills his energy

Lis

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
He needs to move company, its draining the life out of him and he needs more freedom in an environment that can use his skills and give him the respect he needs.

Right now the SJ's have beat it all out of him and this kills his energy

Lis

i agree. it's everyone's fault but his.

tell him that. he'll be a changed man.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
happy puppy.... I think he's going to have to learn the hard way on this one. I have an ENTP co-worker who is a slightly tempered down version of what you described, and he flat out admits the only thing that taught him to calm down is getting fired a few times.

Edit: Part of the problem is that it isn't enough for him to be right... he has to make it clear that the other person is wrong.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I get the impression that he's a little agitated and needs a lot of approval and attention. If he really values his ideas and contribution, maybe you can explain to him that he could be leading a lot better if he learned how to communicate his ideas without so much resistance by owning his "issues" rather than letting them spill out and cause so much friction.