• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] is astrology real?

sculpting

hahaha!

Na, I dont think so but that lone tinkerbell ady seems to want to argue about it so heres a thread...

I do have to say we conducted a study once where I took the sun/moon combinations and printed out the very detailed descriptions off some website. I had seven descriptions that matched to four individals with three extra thrown in. ( i was working, really, it was during an incubation)

I tested five subjects to see if they could pick assign them correctly. All five excluded the three red herrings. All five could match two out of four to the correct people. Two out of five mixed up the last two poeple.

the last two poeple happened to be an ENTP and an ENFP.

then of corse it all went down hill as we could not figure out the best way to statitically analyze the data and the analytical chemist kept talking about wierd advanced statitsics test and ANOVAs and crap.

jeez, I can barely read most days, let alone do statitsics

but, to have Ne style fun, what could be the correlation? gravitational effects by proximity to various astral bodies which yield nueronal abnormalities in the growing fetus?

changes in mag field w respect to sun flares cooking the buggers brains?

maybe its the moon (given the moon signs seemed a wee bit more promising) and subtle shifts in gravity ?

come one have some fun silly NTs!

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes.

It is divination based on interpretation of the relative position of celestial bodies.

I suggest however, divination based on relative position of actual bodies. Like, hey, see that puddle? No? *splash* Yo, wet shoes, foo'! I divinated that one.

Or, Gah! Step away from the Corn Chips, fattie, you know what'll happen!

Or, Hands! Hands!

You know. Stuff like that.

But my real question to you is, what's your feeling about tea leaves?

Betcha there's some kind of correlation between tea drinking and things that happen later in life. I believe it is something to do with tanins. Red wine is full of them too. It's a dangerous world.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The information you presented isn't something that one could specify to be as "oh shit, she's right."

The group itself was too small. If you want to look serious, get at least 50 participants, not 7.

Give us "the prophecies" you tried them on. If those prophecies go on something like this "You might experience something interesting today", then fuck it.

The testing done should not be completely straightforward. Give some of the people false, made out out of your ass cheeks prophecies that have a similar style to the ones that were true, give them prophecies that don't correlate with their astrological sign. If astrology was true, those prophecies could not correlate with their lives.

Personally? I think it's a load of bullocks and the only real value of it is akin to that of a placebo.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
And let half of them drink Earl Grey and half drink Darjeeling.

I think you'll be shocked at the results.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the sun/moon/rising combination tells you a lot about a person. It is equivalent to ego/id/superego.

People tend to dismiss astrology due to all those crappy "sun sign predictions", but those are a load of bull.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Real as in a valid predictor of a person's personality? No. The descriptions are so generalized as to be laughable. Everyone can find him/herself in any one of the 12 signs. I'm an Aquarius, so that's why I'm flighty? No. I'm flighty because I'm flighty. I'm also a diehard romantic, but that's not because I'm a Cancer; I'm very passionate, but not because I'm a Scorpio; and I'm ambitious, but not because I'm a Capricorn. That stuff is complete bollocks.

The only cool thing about saying I'm an Aquarius is that I have a nifty song associated with my sign.

hjomn

MBTI Type
ENfP
Absolutely not! My daily chuckle consists of me laughing about people that actually think the horoscope predicts what mood they're in, etc. etc... I sometimes think it's explainable that it does sometimes work (that's what some people say) because they actually have the horoscope of the day in their head and pattern their behavior to it!

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh you bunch of wordsmiths, you! Take a look in the newspaper: there it is, big as day, somewhere around the funnies usually: astrology! You can't kick it, but it's real.

Is it true? No, not really. It's mostly a smokescreen.

Astrology was brought into the modern age by the East India Tea Company. You can look it up, they needed a way of diverting attention away from tea. You see, by and large, a cup of tea is often taken while reading the newspaper. It's the perfect cover.

For some generations now tea has been directly influencing the direction of the modern age. It began with East India, and has become the multinational giant corporate structure we see before us today.

But do we really see it? This is my question to you. You can take your alien conspiracy theories and get a jolly kick out of debunking those too, but I ask you, why is there such a commonplace sense of conspiracy? Huh? Why? Why should there be such a widespread laughing at those conspiracy theories by making it out to be aliens?

It's all about the tea, people. Open your eyes.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I DID recently happen across a nice cup of Numi Black Yunnan breakfast tea and I felt instantly more enlightened and sexual. I think Kalach is on to something.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uh oh.

The commies are making tea now? For international sale?

Oh God.

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
no but like religion, i enjoy knowing about it and studying it. i think its all so interesting

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Astrology probably doesn't work... but I still consult it sometimes when I feel anxious. Just out of curiosity. After all, maybe I'll get lucky and it will work that time. I don't take it seriously, though.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What's astrology's point? Is it telling how people are? What people should do to be better? And why should the stars have any particular influence on us based on when we were born?

Too mystical a concept, but I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Absolutely not! My daily chuckle consists of me laughing about people that actually think the horoscope predicts what mood they're in, etc. etc... I sometimes think it's explainable that it does sometimes work (that's what some people say) because they actually have the horoscope of the day in their head and pattern their behavior to it!

And that's not real?... I will sometimes read my horoscope, mainly to set a positive tone to my day, it doesn't mean I believe it will happen on it's own because it's "in the stars", only I can make that happen. Choosing to change your outlook on life for that particular day due to reading an over-generalized message seems fair,... Everyone needs a little help with life now and again!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the sun/moon/rising combination tells you a lot about a person. It is equivalent to ego/id/superego.

People tend to dismiss astrology due to all those crappy "sun sign predictions", but those are a load of bull.

Bravo

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know it works, and I know why the ENTP's had difficulty with it too (most of them have strong Uranus):)

Sun, Moon and Rising wont ALWAYS work beacuse its a wee bit more complex than that (there are a proportion of people who have dominances that are not about either of those three things), but they are a good start point.

Thanks for even trying, not as bonkers as it sounds....

enjoy your experementing... Bet you get some interesting comments about how totally rubbish it is from people who have never looked at it properly.

Enjoy having a go

Lis :)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
What's astrology's point? Is it telling how people are? What people should do to be better? And why should the stars have any particular influence on us based on when we were born?

Too mystical a concept, but I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise.

I guess I could field that...

Originally it was to help plant crops and understand threats to Kings, and kingdoms, it's pretty recent that non nobles have been using it.

There are a fair few schools (some of the key ones).

* Mundane - kingoms, and politics
* Natal - understanding a person (and their personal resources)
> of which there is also psycological
* Horary - the answering of questions - which I've never quite managed to get to work
* Decumbratur - the astrology of illness/health
* Relationships - Synistry and avarious composite
* Predictive
> there are a few techneques which can let be used to asses financial propositions or gambling
* Horoscopes - mass media "astro trash" - which is what most people are exposed too

Those are the main ones, although there are loads of additional techeques (traditional - using older school astrology, Vedic - Eastern astrology - which gives pretty similar responce than wester which you are probably more familuar with, Chinese - which is a different system that has a fair bit of relationship to Numerology (although technically lots of these things fit togehter), and then there are some specific techneques - mid points, Fedora (ancient techneque), solar arc, solar return, etc...

Incidentally a persons Natal Chart is still active when they are dead. Only relevant to celebreties etc - when a person recieves some honor or disgrase postumously, the chart should some activity....

I can't tell you how it works per sey, I have a point of view, but nothing proven (the Moon is known to have some impact on tides and emotions - ask any copper and they will say the full and new moons bring difficulties to the streets.

It can help you understand yourself, and your opportunities and difficulties and how to get the most out yourself. IT really ought not to be used to blindly make decisions for yourself, because you need to be in control of your life (so don't get too tied up in anything that is predictive - make your own choices). IF you can hear what it has to say and take that into account but work on doing it better, it can be enormously helpful. It's also helpful at moments of true life stress, because it can indicate a lighter point - knowing that something will pass is usually hopeful for people.

Go get yourself a free report at astro.com but understand this is a cut and paste job so doens't fact in everything so is pretty off the shelf so bland. Incidentally that goes with any electronic report, to get a proper reading get someone to read properly.

enjoy

L

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. how is it falsifiable
2. whats the mechanism?
3. example of prediction and standards of evaluating prediction.

until someone tells me these things, the theory is almost by definition, not even a coherent theory and therefore meaningless.

* Decumbratur - the astrology of illness/health

:yim_rolling_on_the_ :yim_rolling_on_the_ :yim_rolling_on_the_ :yim_rolling_on_the_

yes. because the astrologists are definitely the ones who are in the know when it comes to stem cells, cancer, HIV, Huntingtons disease, Alzheimers etc... and to think we've been wasting all of this money on research, while the REAL explanation for disease has been sitting in front of us all along!

most things in biology make sense because of some form of evolution. i fail to see what uranus has to do with _____ (insert any disease you'd like!)