• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] can yo tell N vs S at a young age?

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
True. I used to feel something entirely different inside vs others and world. I felt i have more world inside me than outside. Like more in mind compared to others.

The S/N axis has always been the hardest one to discern to me.
In middle school I used to type as an ISTP. And yet, I was more cerebral, absent minded and had poorer physical coordination compared to my peers. At the time it somehow made sense, as I tried to keep my reasoning as concrete as I could and, once my Ti was triggered, I'd get extremely down to earth.
I don't really think you can type at a young age, but you can find out some traits that can lead to a certain type during late adolescence/adulthood.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I vs E can be differentiated in babies according to psychological studies. Outside of that...get typing people in general down and perhaps then we can ask about age groups. Adults cant even be clearly typed, are you kidding?

A Demonic Lover

MBTI Type
xNxP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
If we are going by letters only, then I vs E is the easiest. Introverted kids are often not very talkative or social. But it is quite easy to assume a child with communication issues or selective mutism is an introvert, even if they are not. N vs. S is more subtle and you often have to get to know a child in order to determine it. S kids are more present in the moment while N kids seem somewhat detached. The other axes are trickier to define. Either way, the letters are only a code for the cognitive functions of each type.

But overall, I don't think typing a child is a good move since a child's brain is very malleable. From my personal experience, it isn't until the preteen/middle school years where the top two functions become distinguished (reaching the point where the auxiliary function begins to mature and develop as the dominant cannot fully sustain itself). However, adolescents can be typed, as the dominant function is fully developed and the auxiliary is going through development. This is only from personal observations of myself and other individuals, so it is anecdotal. But this is just the lil' theory I have formed. And many, many unaccounted factors can delay or speed up cognitive development (two I can think of are abuse and how sheltered a person is).

Falcon112

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe I wasn't a social butterfly, but as a kid I was really open to other children and wanted to interact with them, right now it's different. So I don't think that you could say for sure I vs E. Same about N vs S, as many children tend to be imaginative, physically active, noisy and clumsy. Typing a baby that isn't even two years old seems to be at least very difficult. This kid doesn't even communicate well and you can't tell about it more than some basic intellectual, sensory and personality features.