• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] can yo tell N vs S at a young age?

sculpting

Okay wanted to bring back my very old thread about my wee widdle one.

He is now over the two year old mark.

Te pours from every crevice as he commands the household pets, tells me what to wear and informs me that I need to keep my flip flops on my feet at the playground.

He still hates the rest of humanity. Introverted, yes, but disdain is really a very pleasent way to describe how he feels about most people. He will directly stare into the eyes of an adult until they look away. He also does floors and helps me find my car keys.

So IXTJ.

But lately he has do a few things which might suggest Ni, but since I dont have that one I can't tell for sure.

1. He took all the peices of the blender, combined them with pieces of a french press and explained he was going to use it to make coffee.

2. Yesterday he looked at the light switch and said "hot". Then he pointed to the light bulb, 30 feet in the air, and said "light. hot". I stared stupidly. He started in hopeless exsasperation. He pointed outside where it was 103. He said "outside. light. hot". Then he pointed back at the light switch and said "hot. light". When he saw I understood he said "yes! yes!"

3. He can be sort of fixated at times on details of how things are done. They need to be done in a certain order, a certain way. If you alter the order he gets very upset until you tell him why, then he says "otay". But it isnt really detailed details-more the overall method and procedure. He builds rules of the way things need to be done and it can twist him sideways if the rules are not followed. He builds systems of rules.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
This is just my opinion, but having a little one who just went through his "two's," I must admit that all of this stuff sounds very normal and familiar.

A normal 2 year old will freak out when the structure of his day is interrupted. (Or even when his sandwich gets cut a different way than usual!) :) A normal 2 year old will have varying displays of intense emotion. A normal 2 year old will make all sorts of clever observations about the world around him and wow you with the way his powers of thought are expanding.

I get a kick out of noticing what functions my son displays and trying to guess what he might be, but it's constantly changing, and I think at this point, it's more of an observation game than anything useful in terms of his permanent personality.

sculpting

I know some of this seems normal maybe, but I didnt see this in my 13 year old when he was two.

The P/J thing is really blatant early. The 13 yo is about as enfp as you can get and he never cared at all for routine or structure when young. He did have displays of intense emo-far beyond anything this kid has. Intense overwhelmed emo, where he was totally out of control. Mostly set off when you stopped his exploration of his surroundings rather than upsetting routine.

A lot of us at work have little ones that are at the same age range and then have older kids or step kids, and you seem to see the patterns established at a young age persist onwards.

One really neat thing I did notice-right around 22 months, he suddenly started interacting with me in an emo fashion. Before that it was much more caretaker/mom. Then suddenly he actually wanted to be held more, kissed now and then. I wondered about tertiary Fi-which of course according to standard dogma doesnt develop till you are twenty.

Odd though about autistic kids....

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
I think the kid's an INTJ. I was when I was younger, and he's definitely showing the warning signs of Ni-- the main one being developing a look of disdain and/or condescension even before he can form complete sentences. Staring at angrily at adults until they look away is also a sign of that natural Ni hatred of authority. A kid who's Si dominant would be more likely to follow the rules and act "polite" around company-- at least until they say something silly :D

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hope you don't mind me asking a question now as i am really intrigued by this.

I have an almost 3 yr old nephew. Details -
There is something about our relationship where he won't shut up about me, he see's his dad and wants to see me. "Dad can drive me to Aunty sarah's house" (i am sure thats his logic).
I can't word it but there is something mesmerising about him, i know is only a toddler but its like he is an old soul.
Very forward for his age. If he wants something, he won't ask, he'll just go and do it or get it. (Was playing football with the eggs recently, kicked/smashed 10 of them).
When someone comes into the house, he will shy away and whisper to me, Who is that? What's their name? Very inquisitive.
Very content when he is doing what he wants, is always asking questions, like why do you have this in your bag Sarah?
Hands on with everything. My mobile phone, His play kitchen, The hoover.
The kid is a clean freak, he uses his baby wipes to clean the house.
Serious OCD, i have even asked him "Do you have OCD Mason?" He replied "NO". Lol.
He is very observant. Always notices your shoes first (kid loves shoes esp heels). Will check my hands and teeth to see if i am 'poorly' and will know the difference from last time i saw him.
He sticks to me like glue. He won't leave me alone unless i ask him to wash his hands.
He zones out everything whilst watching Television, but when he is not sure of what he wants to do, you can see the frown lines and the cogs going, like he is working out his next move.
Like the OP said .. He can outstare anyone even adults. Its like he is watching and paying attention to your facial expressions.
The only change i have noticed in him lately is how quickly he can change his moods. One min, happy and smiling, strangling me with loads of kisses. The next min, angry. He asked me if he could break my neck the other day (little bugger). Jekyll and Hyde just lately with his emotions, this is new.

So like i said .. There is an unexplainable bond between us, We haven't been that close in the past as they had their lives and i had mine. I have another nephew and although i love him, there is something about his little brother that i find totally fascinating.

So on the info i have given .. What are you thinking type wise roughly.
Obviously i am not going to take it as gospel, he has a lot of growing up to do. I am just trying to get my head around this Si, Fe, Ni stuff so i am not really sure about all that yet.
Interested in your input though.

Thank you.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
(I'm definitely not an authority on little kids. I just think a lot of those behaviors are so common that it might be hard to know for sure at this age. I dunno!)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
N kids will ask "Why?" a lot more than S kids will. Their brains need the extra info to finish the patterning process.

sculpting

h
I hope you don't mind me asking a question now as i am really intrigued by this.

I have an almost 3 yr old nephew. Details -
There is something about our relationship where he won't shut up about me, he see's his dad and wants to see me. "Dad can drive me to Aunty sarah's house" (i am sure thats his logic).
I can't word it but there is something mesmerising about him, i know is only a toddler but its like he is an old soul.
Very forward for his age. If he wants something, he won't ask, he'll just go and do it or get it. (Was playing football with the eggs recently, kicked/smashed 10 of them).
When someone comes into the house, he will shy away and whisper to me, Who is that? What's their name? Very inquisitive.
Very content when he is doing what he wants, is always asking questions, like why do you have this in your bag Sarah?
Hands on with everything. My mobile phone, His play kitchen, The hoover.
The kid is a clean freak, he uses his baby wipes to clean the house.
Serious OCD, i have even asked him "Do you have OCD Mason?" He replied "NO". Lol.
He is very observant. Always notices your shoes first (kid loves shoes esp heels). Will check my hands and teeth to see if i am 'poorly' and will know the difference from last time i saw him.
He sticks to me like glue. He won't leave me alone unless i ask him to wash his hands.
He zones out everything whilst watching Television, but when he is not sure of what he wants to do, you can see the frown lines and the cogs going, like he is working out his next move.
Like the OP said .. He can outstare anyone even adults. Its like he is watching and paying attention to your facial expressions.
The only change i have noticed in him lately is how quickly he can change his moods. One min, happy and smiling, strangling me with loads of kisses. The next min, angry. He asked me if he could break my neck the other day (little bugger). Jekyll and Hyde just lately with his emotions, this is new.

So like i said .. There is an unexplainable bond between us, We haven't been that close in the past as they had their lives and i had mine. I have another nephew and although i love him, there is something about his little brother that i find totally fascinating.

So on the info i have given .. What are you thinking type wise roughly.
Obviously i am not going to take it as gospel, he has a lot of growing up to do. I am just trying to get my head around this Si, Fe, Ni stuff so i am not really sure about all that yet.
Interested in your input though.

Thank you.

So first-I adore you jewel as you are loads of sweetness so this is all guesses on my part too. I see lots of Ne patterns but who knows in the end. My N= is fairly small and I am dead wrong about 20% of the time.

OCD=J either Te or Fe
The curiosity about people and sweetness says maybe Fe?? Is he staring you down like a demon possesed entity or just watching you? If just watching I'd vote Fe.
If he likes to cuddle and care for others I'd vote Fe. The constant questions might make it Fe-dom , extroverted, and the details maybe Si backing it up. The forwardness I would argue would be his willingness to add structure to his world. Things have a place and he will feel obligated to care for them and put them there a bit.

Fe, Si, Ne- an ESFJ?? Assuming there is merit to a more natural order of functions of course. No wonder he likes you. You guys are buddies! My ISFJ friend has an ESFJ nine year old. He talks a lot but is profoundly conscious of how his actions affect others and is very sweet. He is a good, good kid.

Could be total BS though :)

sculpting

N kids will ask "Why?" a lot more than S kids will. Their brains need the extra info to finish the patterning process.

At three my older son-an enfp-wanted to know why we did not eat holographic pigs instead of real pigs so we did not have to kill them. He also wanted to bring the shirmp back to life by putting them back in the water.

He may have had some tert Te as well, as he did hold his daycare class hostage with a plastic chair when they made him try and pour milk and put his napkin in his lap at lunchtime. Puberty has actually been a blessing...

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
h

So first-I adore you jewel as you are loads of sweetness so this is all guesses on my part too. I see lots of Ne patterns but who knows in the end. My N= is fairly small and I am dead wrong about 20% of the time.

OCD=J either Te or Fe
The curiosity about people and sweetness says maybe Fe?? Is he staring you down like a demon possesed entity or just watching you? If just watching I'd vote Fe.
If he likes to cuddle and care for others I'd vote Fe. The constant questions might make it Fe-dom , extroverted, and the details maybe Si backing it up. The forwardness I would argue would be his willingness to add structure to his world. Things have a place and he will feel obligated to care for them and put them there a bit.

Fe, Si, Ne- an ESFJ?? Assuming there is merit to a more natural order of functions of course. No wonder he likes you. You guys are buddies! My ISFJ friend has an ESFJ nine year old. He talks a lot but is profoundly conscious of how his actions affect others and is very sweet. He is a good, good kid.

Could be total BS though :)

Wicked .. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
If aunties, nanna, mum and friends are in the house. It is still me he zones in on, i have never seen him behave this way with anyone else. (i love it but thats because he isn't mine, i can go home alone).

I would never of said ESFJ .. yet thinking of how i behaved and what i was told about my behaviour as a child. It makes sense. I was very forward for my age, if i wanted something i did it, no always meant possibly yes, i took the mother role with my little brother. Loved cooking, cleaning and generally helping out (not so much now in adulthood). Wow.

Could be bullsh*t .. but still interesting to talk about the possibilities. ;)

Diamond.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
my kids were quite obvious as to their S/N preference by the age of about 8, up to then it sorta fluctuated. they're now 12 and 10, and the pro MBTI dude I know agrees with my assessment that they're quite typical ESFJ and ENTP, respectively.

(yeah, you can imagine what it's like living here!)

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
There is also a whole chunk of kids that cannot handle itchy, tight, or overly textered clothing-little Ss in the making perhaps.

Interestingly, I once did a personality test for children (not knowing that it was an MBTI one until afterwards) and I tried to answer the questions as honestly as possible in terms of how I remember myself as a child and I typed ISTJ. Yet, in recent years I've typed INTJ consistently and thus my intuition has increased with age. However, I am still very sensitive to external stimuli and always have been. So for instance when I was a child I used to ruin shirts by ripping the tags off of them. Sometimes, I'd cut them properly with scissors, but even then the little stub left behind was enough to still irritate me. Moreover, this manifests in other ways. For instance, if I wear a heavy gold sovereign ring this seems to disrupt the balance and symmetry of my body and becomes a distraction that I may unnecessarily fixate on at certain times. The same applies to heavy watches. So if I'm going into a debate or I have to deliver a speech I will take off all jewellery so I can be one with my intellect. Still worse, I am completely intolerant of people talking over me or if a tv or radio is playing while I'm trying to convey a concept or theory. Sometimes if another asks me a serious question I will immediately turn down the tv (even if it isn't very loud) and will begin addressing the question systematically. If the volume of my environment cannot be turned down I will dodge the question altogether as trying to answer under those conditions will just frustrate me. I am also intolerant of the ticking of clocks and watches while I study. I am fine studying in an open environment where one cannot make out any single person speaking but only vaguely hears the buzz of several conversations going on, but am intolerant of being in a confined study space where there is one person speaking distinctly. This even transcends my visual faculty at times. I recall working with a person and we were required to wear safety glasses. My boss's boss came and asked me a serious question and I looked at her and she was slightly blurred from scratches on the glasses. So I took them off to answer her question and she immediately said, "you can talk with your glasses on." That said, I do not think that these overexitabilities to external stimuli are necessarily telling of whether a person is S or N. In fact, I prefer to eliminate them so I can focus my Ni and Te and not have to worry about these distractions, that itself is a function of my personality while the sensory irritations are themselves a function of my physiology. Thus, in conclusion the distractions themselves don't necessarily dictate whether one is S or N dominant.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
At three my older son-an enfp-wanted to know why we did not eat holographic pigs instead of real pigs so we did not have to kill them. He also wanted to bring the shirmp back to life by putting them back in the water.

He may have had some tert Te as well, as he did hold his daycare class hostage with a plastic chair when they made him try and pour milk and put his napkin in his lap at lunchtime. Puberty has actually been a blessing...

I used to drive my parents nuts asking why a word meant something.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
my kids were quite obvious as to their S/N preference by the age of about 8, up to then it sorta fluctuated. they're now 12 and 10, and the pro MBTI dude I know agrees with my assessment that they're quite typical ESFJ and ENTP, respectively.

(yeah, you can imagine what it's like living here!)

It isn't that bad. My son is an ENTP and since learning more about him and understanding what makes him tick, things have been so much better. Saying that though, growing up with my ESTP brother, we used to try and kill each other.

Yeah good luck with that. :blush:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
20 months old? No, you cannot type a baby.

We can't truly 'type' adults either.

My nephew was most "ENTP" like at 16 months, already demonstrating openess to experience and willingness to logically speculate about things that are unseen.

teen rose

MBTI Type
INFP
There is also a whole chunk of kids that cannot handle itchy, tight, or overly textered clothing-little Ss in the making perhaps.

that has to be little Ns. I had lot of problem but luckily my ISFJ mom had good taste and preferred comfort, but there used to be times when i used to feel sensitive having to bear all such extra information.

- - - Updated - - -

N babies drool more.

LOL yeah i think

teen rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Apparently, the difference between N and S sets in pretty early, compared to the other letters. But, I'm a bit skeptic about a 20 mths old.

My Ne was quite apparent early on, prolly the most apparent of my 'personality traits'. To this day, my mother reminds me that I was almost kicked out of 5th grade, for exercising my Ne+Ti anarchy a little too much, that most of my childhood report cards talk of me being 'restless', and I got 52 stitches on my face from 4 different 'accidents'/happenings (and nowhere else on my body - don't ask) to prove to myself, the craziness that Ne can lead to. Thankfully, as I've matured, the whirlwind has calmed (somewhat).

True. I used to feel something entirely different inside vs others and world. I felt i have more world inside me than outside. Like more in mind compared to others.

teen rose

MBTI Type
INFP
I knew very early that I understood the big picture and could derive intuitive connections about things at a very young age.

I know this isn't a baby thing, but I read lots of fantasy books at a very early age -- Narnia stuff a few years before most, and multiple times. LOTR/Silmarillion a few years before most, and multiple times.

I am sure that I was making abstract connections very early. The "no. no. no..." comment sounds to me like a young one who sees a violation of the proper order of things. And I am guessing that INTJs are much more confident about that, and therefore more definite in expressing so, than perhaps an ISTJ.

I knew it only when i was like 11 as iam N aux.