• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and alone time.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like to be with people once I actually AM with them, and if stuck at home all day I end up getting bored about evening time and go grociery shopping (I think that's more related to being bored with being in one place for too long), but I don't really actively seek people out.

I work with people all day long with no time for myself- by the time I get off work I can't wait to get home and NOT see anyone else. For instance, it's Saturday night and I'm sitting at home with some beer and a movie. I was invited out by a couple of people but turned it down.

I actually ENJOY alone time a lot and always end up like getting away after I'm with people for a while :doh:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
when i'm alone too long, i search people out. then immediately regret it.

i've got to get a more entertaining bunch of go-to people.

uh. no offense.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I hate being forced to be alone. But, I also hate being around boring people. Consequently I'm constantly hunting for interesting people to collect like wild butterflies.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Consequently I'm constantly hunting for interesting people to collect like wild butterflies.

That sounds like the point (it's not about absolutely liking being alone, it's about being somewhat demanding with the kind of people you spend time), so maybe we should rewrite the original conflict as whether you are able of spending time on your own, maybe in that insane Qre:us way ;), or if you are just some kind of "people junkie".

As it is not negative to have a preference (prefer being alone or not), I'm not sure it is excessively good for someone to just not be able of being alone, I don't know... I have to take at least two-hour long train trips a week ¿how'd you do that? xD

¿And from where do you get the energy when returning from work/class?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
That sounds like the point (it's not about absolutely liking being alone, it's about being somewhat demanding with the kind of people you spend time), so maybe we should rewrite the original conflict as whether you are able of spending time on your own, maybe in that insane Qre:us way ;), or if you are just some kind of "people junkie".

As it is not negative to have a preference (prefer being alone or not), I'm not sure it is excessively good for someone to just not be able of being alone, I don't know... I have to take at least two-hour long train trips a week ¿how'd you do that? xD

¿And from where do you get the energy when returning from work/class?

what the hell did you just say?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the thing with me is that I get bored easily. It's more easy for me to get bored by myself, but being with people doesn't always help either. There are a lot of boring people out there. All things being equal I'd rather be with a group though.

TheJimbo

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
Hi there, first post here.

I have a problem with that too, maybe your opposite (mtaclof). It appears to me that I am clearly an INTP -the description of the type matches the best with how I get things done- except for that kind of things: Hell yes I enjoy being alone (when I am able to do something interesting), but I also enjoy, and a lot, the company of others.

Mainly I enjoy them listening to me, so that would cross the line to ENTP mood, but I also enjoy the speeches of others, their jokes, socializing in small groups maybe.

But just as SUPER said, other people's stupidity hits me like a punch in the face: I feel frickin identified with what you said.

How does the alone or non-alone function express herself in NTP types? Aaah, more questions than answers, people!

Thanks.

I identify with some of what you said--but not all of it.

I don't mind time alone either. I like to be alone to work on my pet projects, relax, play video games etc. If I have a whole day off, though, I can't stand being alone the whole time. If I must be alone I will talk on the phone or on the 'net.

Stupidity doesn't always bug me. Stupidity can be hilarious. If I was bothered by stupidity I'd be a total recluse.

Stupidity DOES bug me when people act like they know what they're talking about in one of my subjects of interest (usually S types talking about computers). Also bugs me when they need me to downgrade my vocabulary. Luckily I don't hang out with that kind of "people."

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
Stupidity doesn't always bug me. Stupidity can be hilarious. If I was bothered by stupidity I'd be a total recluse.

Stupidity DOES bug me when people act like they know what they're talking about in one of my subjects of interest (usually S types talking about computers). Also bugs me when they need me to downgrade my vocabulary. Luckily I don't hang out with that kind of "people."

Yes, now I see that topic had to be explained more, and I must admit Stupidity can be hilarious xD! I consider being stupid being not able to understand when you are under control of your own feelings and that makes you annoying, or even pathetic, especially when, maybe suspecting you are not acting correctly you become more aggressive.

I don't know if I am explaining it well, sometimes I have hard times speaking in English... :p

I talk about people who exagerates everything that happens to them, who takes everything personally, who doesn't know why they have the opinion they have or who only have like 2 subjects of conversation and I doubt if it hurts when they change between them.

More or less.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i don't mind stupidity (don't like using that term when talking about those this post is about) at all if they're the type that can take my ribbing them. if they laugh when i tease, then i like them a lot.

oh, i may not seek them out, but i don't exactly run if they catch me either.

mtaclof

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the thing with me is that I get bored easily. It's more easy for me to get bored by myself, but being with people doesn't always help either. There are a lot of boring people out there. All things being equal I'd rather be with a group though.
That hits the nail on the head. I'm much more likely to feel bored alone, because I have little outlet for my Ne. I feel like I need to vocalize the many tangents that my mind goes on(people near or not), and when I can't share my many thoughts, I feel stifled. I try to write down things I want to discuss later, and that sometimes helps).
On the topic of stupidity;
I love having a person or two who spout off ridiculous crap around, assuming the rest of the group sees them as morons as well. That gives me an outlet for my verbal quickness, and creates a lot of hilarious moments.
There are some people I would consider no better than no company at all, of course. In fact, a lot of people fall in this group. I like to keep a lot of ENFP friends around though, because they're always game for a quality conversation, even in the midst of morons. They also make very good "teammates", if you will, in situations where conflicts are apt to pop up. They'll blurt out the offensive crap that my INTP friends save for a later time, when we ridicule people privately.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I like alone time to an extent, but t can be addictive, you can loose yourself in too many things.

I like a blance of both but I absolutely must have some alone time or I get very twitchy indeed...

I actually don't like to spent too much time in very big groups at the best of times, prefering relatively small social scenes

L

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an ENTP, and lately, I've noticed that I have a very difficult time being completely alone. I just find it grating. I've tried reading, doing crossword puzzles, all kinds of other stuff. I just seem to always get bored, put it down, and find someone to chat with.
It's not damaging my life per se, but it can certainly make particular situations unpleasant. It's also putting a damper on the development of my Ti function, which I feel needs development to be up to snuff with my Ne.
Any other ENTPs struggle with this? Any suggestions?

Being loyal to oneself helps to relax and feel comfortable while alone.