• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Two types of INTJs

sculpting

Also can you help me sort this out. I am in sceince so stumble across a fair number of INTJs.

they seem to come in two or maybe three flavors.

1. The excessively pedantic ones-to the point of almost being OCD like. They will talk, and talk, and talk at you in a lecture like fashion as if they have to dump everything out of thier brain. Most folks can't handle one on one for very long as there is no escape route. I totally fall into ENFP mode, flake out, giggle and wonder out of the room in the middle of the conversation. They are really INTJ like otherwise.

2. The silent, broody type-I do love these folks as these ones are so full of intense, yet silent passion and opinion. The set such large hurdles for themselves and are the ultimate, non stop strivers. On the surface they have been descirbed as ice princesses.

3. I have seen one or two much more assertive dominant INTJs. Not sure if this is a subtype of two with more testosterone or what.

So any idea about the diff between 1 and 2?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Also can you help me sort this out. I am in sceince so stumble across a fair number of INTJs.

1. The excessively pedantic ones-to the point of almost being OCD like. They will talk, and talk, and talk at you in a lecture like fashion as if they have to dump everything out of thier brain. Most folks can't handle one on one for very long as there is no escape route. I totally fall into ENFP mode, flake out, giggle and wonder out of the room in the middle of the conversation. They are really INTJ like otherwise.

2. The silent, broody type-I do love these folks as these ones are so full of intense, yet silent passion and opinion. The set such large hurdles for themselves and are the ultimate, non stop strivers. On the surface they have been descirbed as ice princesses.

3. I have seen one or two much more assertive dominant INTJs. Not sure if this is a subtype of two with more testosterone or what.

I used to talk too much until I realized people didn't like it.
Do you think age or maturity could be the difference?

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I believe I've met both types before. The former (to an extreme) being one lady I knew in highschool, the latter being an acquaintance nearby who I see once a month or 2. I can't really figure out what the difference is although I can say #2 has his shit together way, way, way, WAY more than #1, who has made some flat-out idiotic life decisions that have put her back at square 1. Not sure if that has much to do with it though.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
they have been descirbed as ice princesses.

I object

I used to talk too much until I realized people didn't like it.
Do you think age or maturity could be the difference?

the difference could also be that in one case you are closer friends with them, and in the other, you are not. INTJs don't just open up to everyone...what is the status of your connection with the person in either case?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx

I have to question whether most of these people are actually INTJs. You do know that there are 10 times as many xSTJs as xNTJs and that they look similar right? There are INTJs with very strong T and others who favor N so they won't all appear the same.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Good point.. both ISTJ and INTJ have externalised thinking, so on the surface will appear very similar!

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I wonder...how cooperative are other INTJs in class? I'm a pretty dominant figure in the classroom because I answer a lot, vocalise critique and engage the teacher/other students. Can't bear the silence after a prof asks a question and the students just refuse to say anything. I don't mind being "wrong" or debated with, but I hate the feeling of standing still like that, of no dialogue and I feel bad for the teacher. I'm pretty invested in courses. I can pull it off without being hated by the rest of the class.

Other than that I'm pretty quiet, I don't do lecturing.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know.

Once somebody strikes something I'm passionate about, sometimes it's hard to shut me up. Most of the times you'll just get a few words but at a certain point they just come GUSHING FORTH with extreme intensity. And then it clears up, and it doesn't happen for a while...

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Okay, so I haven't really met the different types of INTJs the OP is talking about, but I did notice there are 2 types of INTJ for real. The ones that were described at 2) and then the ones that are more open and warm; to which I would count people like sonata, withoutaface or myself.

As for the types you described up there, I guess that it probably is completely different types. At least I haven't seen those "subtypes" yet? :huh:

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Okay, so I haven't really met the different types of INTJs the OP is talking about, but I did notice there are 2 types of INTJ for real. The ones that were described at 2) and then the ones that are more open and warm; to which I would count people like sonata, withoutaface or myself.

I agree. But I've got a bit of 2) in me. Open? Hardly. I'm way more open on this forum than I am in real life. Most people who think they know me honestly don't. Warm? Sure, sometimes, but I doubt it's one of the first adjectives you would use to describe me.

You give me too much credit.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I know both types. Type 1) piss me off the most. Type 2) can be alright if I keep them at arms' length. I'll usually prefer fellow INFJs if I want the silent, brooding type.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There is indeed a difference. I got to know the INTJ, who projects on his environment through his actions that he constantly wants to be adored for his logical conclusions. Which will get very alienating in the long run, both the "want to be adored" and the "analytical part".

The other INTJ on the other hand, seems to be more in touch with his N. He is generally more open-minded and understands the concept that you have to learn about a thing before you can analyze it fully.

That introverted world of the INTJ seems to have a wide-spread appearance though. Most of the INTJs I know are idiots and assholes but some I consider as very close friends and even one I founded a company with.

It's really most versatile.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder...how cooperative are other INTJs in class? I'm a pretty dominant figure in the classroom because I answer a lot, vocalise critique and engage the teacher/other students. Can't bear the silence after a prof asks a question and the students just refuse to say anything. I don't mind being "wrong" or debated with, but I hate the feeling of standing still like that, of no dialogue and I feel bad for the teacher. I'm pretty invested in courses. I can pull it off without being hated by the rest of the class.

Other than that I'm pretty quiet, I don't do lecturing.

Very cooperative in class, but with discretion however. I have an extreme dislike for pendant and an extreme affinity for practicality. I like to view knowledge as something you can use. Therefore I tend to ask questions in class that encourage open ended answers and questions from other people. I like being vague, because it encourages questions/answers that you would never expect from others. Then you start asking more narrow, specific questions in order to assimilate useful knowledge. Once absorbed, start making the questions more vague again. I find the key to good participation is varying intensity at the right times. I can be very fickle, so I find that it helps to not get too focused or too unfocused for a long period of time during a class discussion.

So open up ideas, then start pinpointing and mapping out the good ones. Then open up again, pinpoint, and repeat.

As for the types you described up there, I guess that it probably is completely different types. At least I haven't seen those "subtypes" yet? :huh:

Heh, if only it would get me somewhere once in a while. Sometimes I feel it would be better if I was a cold-hearted bastard. :)

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
There is indeed a difference. I got to know the INTJ, who projects on his environment through his actions that he constantly wants to be adored for his logical conclusions. Which will get very alienating in the long run, both the "want to be adored" and the "analytical part".

The other INTJ on the other hand, seems to be more in touch with his N. He is generally more open-minded and understands the concept that you have to learn about a thing because you can analyze it fully.
I am glad you made this experience too and that I am not alone with this thought.

Heh, if only it would get me somewhere once in a while. Sometimes I feel it would be better if I was a cold-hearted bastard. :)
Yeah I know what you mean. It pays off sooner or later though, even if it doesn't seem so. And besides it makes you just feel better if you aren't a complete jackass.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah I know both types. Type 1) piss me off the most. Type 2) can be alright if I keep them at arms' length. I'll usually prefer fellow INFJs if I want the silent, brooding type.

I dunno, most of the INFJs I've met aren't very silent about their brooding.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
hehe :D. You have to tickle them behind the right ear. If you keep it that way they either will get real calm or rip your head off. Its your risk :D

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Yeah I know what you mean. It pays off sooner or later though, even if it doesn't seem so. And besides it makes you just feel better if you aren't a complete jackass.

It makes /us/ feel better that we aren't complete jackasses. But do the complete jackasses feel bad about their jackassery?

I don't actually think they do. ;)