• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] stimulated world

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Statements or theories are meaningful because they make predictions.

"Tinkerbell is the name of a character in XYZ movie". This statement is meaningful because it makes a prediction of evidence. We can now go check to see if there is such a character in XYZ movie and decide if the statement is true or false.

Statements that do not intend to make such a prediction to evidence are meaningless: "tinkerbell is a character in a movie, regardless of what IMDB says". When you insulate yourself from a prediction of evidence, the statement or theory starts to become more of "because I said so". I find it ironic that you of all people are accusing others of the "because I said so".

2. The 'outcome' of our lives is the same whether or not astrology is true or not. That is, our lives happen as they do. So in reality, the difference between a world where astrology is true or not true, is only in mechanism.

Until astrology proposes a mechanism for how the arrangements of planets influences my job promotion, the theory is meaningless. The mechanism for the moon having an effect on the ocean is "gravity" and is readily reducible and explainable. Uranus having an effect on Japanese technology RnD department is not readily explainable via gravity.

No mechanism? At this point theres no relevant difference between midevil magic and "mechanism of action regarding astrology".

3. psudosciences lack two things:
-specific, testable and repeatable predictions
-explainable mechanisms of actions

Specific: when a particular theory doesn't make specific enough predictions it leaves itself open to confirmation bias. Example: "uranus is responsible for surges of technology!". The prediction sets no standard of what will either prove the prediction true or false. This is bad. It then leaves these standards to be determined AFTER the data is gathered. This then influences how the data is interpreted. To maintain any objectivity, the standards of what will determine true or false need to be determined when the prediction is made or BEFORE the data is gathered. Otherwise, just about anything can after the fact, be squeezed in as 'true'.

Testable: theories need to be falsifiable. When proposing the theory of astrology, you need to also say what would then lead to its falsification. Theories that arent falsifiable are meaningless because they arent testable. I will give an example: "the theory of evolution would be falsifiable if we suddenly started finding and dating Precambrian rabbit and human fossils".

Ultimately the burden of proof lies on you. If I wanted to go prove to the world that "invisible Martian ice cream trucks are real and they control the worlds money supply via psychic powers", the burden of proof would lie on me, because the rest of the world shouldnt have to drop what its doing everytime some nut comes up with unfalsifiable opinions.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Oh silly Babylon, I think you are forgetting two key points:

1. Tinkerbell doesn't need to substantiate her claims at all
2. Tinkerbell is older than you

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP

Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

ohhhhhhhh look the wee, wee boy who can't articulate anything that doesn't centre around "BEACUSE I SAY SO" is throwing another hissy fit

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You realize you're being 'humoured' in this thread, don't you? And not in the good way? It's a bit of an ugly spectacle but ... you aren't really doing a good job (or any job) of defending your positions at all.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, to be fair to tinkerbell, there are many documented studies revealing that certain Rx medications and even surgeries have no greater effect than that of placebo.

An intro to that topic is found by clicking on this link.

Thanks Peace Baby...

I used to nurse, and I was a market research (aka consumer attdues not medical testing) for a pharma company. Most medicines supress symptoms so the body can recover. Antibiotics are ones that actually treat the illness - which is why they were such a big dscovery.

Funny how many people beleive medicine is scientific... very shakey ground :)

Lis

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
1. Statements or theories are meaningful because they make predictions.

"Tinkerbell is the name of a character in XYZ movie". This statement is meaningful because it makes a prediction of evidence. We can now go check to see if there is such a character in XYZ movie and decide if the statement is true or false.

Statements that do not intend to make such a prediction to evidence are meaningless: "tinkerbell is a character in a movie, regardless of what IMDB says". When you insulate yourself from a prediction of evidence, the statement or theory starts to become more of "because I said so". I find it ironic that you of all people are accusing others of the "because I said so".

2. The 'outcome' of our lives is the same whether or not astrology is true or not. That is, our lives happen as they do. So in reality, the difference between a world where astrology is true or not true, is only in mechanism.

Until astrology proposes a mechanism for how the arrangements of planets influences my job promotion, the theory is meaningless. The mechanism for the moon having an effect on the ocean is "gravity" and is readily reducible and explainable. Uranus having an effect on Japanese technology RnD department is not readily explainable via gravity.

No mechanism? At this point theres no relevant difference between midevil magic and "mechanism of action regarding astrology".

3. psudosciences lack two things:
-specific, testable and repeatable predictions
-explainable mechanisms of actions

Specific: when a particular theory doesn't make specific enough predictions it leaves itself open to confirmation bias. Example: "uranus is responsible for surges of technology!". The prediction sets no standard of what will either prove the prediction true or false. This is bad. It then leaves these standards to be determined AFTER the data is gathered. This then influences how the data is interpreted. To maintain any objectivity, the standards of what will determine true or false need to be determined when the prediction is made or BEFORE the data is gathered. Otherwise, just about anything can after the fact, be squeezed in as 'true'.

Testable: theories need to be falsifiable. When proposing the theory of astrology, you need to also say what would then lead to its falsification. Theories that arent falsifiable are meaningless because they arent testable. I will give an example: "the theory of evolution would be falsifiable if we suddenly started finding and dating Precambrian rabbit and human fossils".

Ultimately the burden of proof lies on you. If I wanted to go prove to the world that "invisible Martian ice cream trucks are real and they control the worlds money supply via psychic powers", the burden of proof would lie on me, because the rest of the world shouldnt have to drop what its doing everytime some nut comes up with unfalsifiable opinions.

YAWN

Point 2 - I once had a statistical lecturer who pointed out that is doesn't matter if you are an optimist or a pesimist, the outcome remains the same. The optimist has a pleasanter journey.

If you read a few posts back you're realise that one of them had the gall to say "you're not unintellegent" - meaning if I don't agree to their point of view (irrespectively of how ill educated they are) that I was somehow a lesser brain... I'm just not intimidate by people who don't know what they are talking about... which is what makes this all so terribly funny. Because try and they might the many NT's have so closed of their thinking that they haven't even bothered to consider something with knowledge before they chuck bricks at it.

Sad really,

Lis

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Finally before I feel off to work.

Thank you for the PM/s other notes to say 1. I'm on a hiding to nothing, and 2. good luck with this.

Just want to point out, I can neither loose this debate nor win it. I've got enough rationalists around my life to know this one will always end in a stalemate...

Cheeriness and thanks for the support :) :)

:D

Lis

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YAWN

Point 2 - I once had a statistical lecturer who pointed out that is doesn't matter if you are an optimist or a pesimist, the outcome remains the same. The optimist has a pleasanter journey.

If you read a few posts back you're realise that one of them had the gall to say "you're not unintellegent" - meaning if I don't agree to their point of view (irrespectively of how ill educated they are) that I was somehow a lesser brain... I'm just not intimidate by people who don't know what they are talking about... which is what makes this all so terribly funny. Because try and they might the many NT's have so closed of their thinking that they haven't even bothered to consider something with knowledge before they chuck bricks at it.

Sad really,

Lis

what? i seriously mapped out a path to respectability FOR this debate. I didnt even really disrespect you at all!? where did i call you stupid? where did i say that i had disproven astrology? all i said was that there are certain requirements that ANY theory: from science to social sciences, needs to meet in order to be meaningful.

1. tell me how astrology would be falsifiable (i gave an example for evolution, you literally just think of what evidence would disprove your theory. if you cant think of anything, then its unfalsifiable and the theory is meaningless).
2. propose a mechanism of action
3. give an example of a specific prediction based on the this theory. tell us the standards for which data collected would either prove the prediction true or false. (im not even asking for said data!)

nothing in my post is derogatory to your intelligence. im simply trying to direct you to present your case in a format that people can objectively BEGIN to evaluate (this would be true FOR any theory, true or false).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I couldn't agree more. Babylon is powerless against such far reaching powers of rhetoric.

Don't forget:

3) Tinkerbell is not male. It's a well-known fact to any REAL scientists that logical substantiation of previous claims isn't required for females.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, to be fair to tinkerbell, there are many documented studies revealing that certain Rx medications and even surgeries have no greater effect than that of placebo.

An intro to that topic is found by clicking on this link.

That's...grand. But the point was that the placebo effect is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand; all she's done is point out that lots of people do illogical things, so why shouldn't we arbitrarily believe in something illogical/unfalsifiable?

She'd have a fine argument here if I or anyone else here had at some point stated unwavering faith in the effectiveness of all prescription medications, but we haven't. Her argument essentially comes down to, "There are lots of other places where some people behave irrationally, so that justifies my totally irrational behavior regarding astrology!" And no, it obviously doesn't.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A stalemate, huh? Right...that.

I love the condescending/dismissive comments about how she has "enough rationalists in her life" as if such a demeaning insinuation totally negates the value of rational thought. Cute.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I love this male dominated - if enough of us get togehter and say its so it has to be true...

Not one of you have actually come with enough infomration to say it's not I've supplied a link to evidneced based research not one of you have commented on it - NOT ONE!!!!

Lis

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
That's...grand. But the point was that the placebo effect is utterly irrelevant to the discussion at hand; all she's done is point out that lots of people do illogical things, so why shouldn't we arbitrarily believe in something illogical/unfalsifiable?

Of course it's irrelevant; spluh. (Love that word!)

tinkerbell isn't asking you to believe, she is asking you to have an open mind . Is that your true agenda here tinkerbell or am I off-base?

Tinkerbell is not male. It's a well-known fact to any REAL scientists that logical substantiation of previous claims isn't required for females.

Let's insult all of the women on the forum in order to zing tinkerbell.

That's hardly logical if you ask me! :hi:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Of course it's irrelevant; spluh. (Love that word!)

tinkerbell isn't asking you to believe, she is asking you to have an open mind . Is that your true agenda here tinkerbell or am I off-base?

We have an open mind. Perfectly open to any evidence anybody wishes to present. Unfortunately, none has been presented.*

Let's insult all of the women on the forum in order to zing tinkerbell.

That's hardly logical if you ask me! :hi:

Not that it excuses anything, but.. tinkerbell did it first.

I'm also, I guess a wee bit older than you guys so not exactly going to bend to 20-something male domination.... Simply not in my composition.

The 20 something male domiance thing, is that if enough of you stand back and repeatedly say BECAUSE I SAY SO, then everyone else will back down....

Oh dear, who is getting pissed off? not you surely? Critical thinking - is just slamming alternatibe perspective, something to be ashamed off rather than considering, learning before evaluating... Sad real. If you're pissed off, go away.... I'm not asking for you to get traumatised by someone who wont kow tow to the almighty male ego of RIGHTNESS.

I love this male dominated - if enough of us get togehter and say its so it has to be true...

Hey Peace Baby
A good skeptic who conducted quant research was
Michel Gauquelin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He had to conlude that planets in houses worked but was very skeptical of signs (which I'd find myself).

Do you have a copy of the actual articles that he published? This is interesting.

Though, some points:
It was published in the 50-60s.
The wiki article notes that it wasn't without critics in the scientific community.
Subjective selection criteria for the experiment subjects.
Other studies have found no statistically significant correlation.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not one of you have actually come with enough infomration to say it's not I've supplied a link to evidneced based research not one of you have commented on it - NOT ONE!!!!

Lis

if this thread were about evolution, i wouldnt need more than a paragraph to answer the questions i already asked of you:

1. how is it falsifiable
2. whats the mechanism?
3. example of prediction and standards of evaluating prediction.

no articles required. why you refuse to attempt this for your theory, is beyond me! me asking these questions of you is in no way me claiming victory or even disrespectful. why why why!?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
So, we are reduced to an eye for an eye ...

It's quite evident tinkerbell has been less than complementary too ... doesn't mean you need to stoop to the same level.

Please note: I have never said that there was evidence to support astrology myself. I only have experiential data to go by. Check out my posts, they neither support nor defend nor bash astrology. I do think there *may* be something to it, but I have conducted no research to speak of and thus make this subjective statement.

And Costrin, it's cool you visited the Gauquelin link above. It's highly likely no one else who's arguing so vehemently has.

I love, just love a lively debate - I thought that's what threads like these in the NT section would be. Maybe this one can come to center and discuss studies, like the link above. :)

And Babylon_Candle, I hear where you are coming from too ... you are trying to be helpful to all. I send you a big :).

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think this is going to be one of those debates that end in "agreeing to disagree" if indeed it doesn't escalate into a flame. Just saying...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Though, some points:
It was published in the 50-60s.
The wiki article notes that it wasn't without critics in the scientific community.
Subjective selection criteria for the experiment subjects.
Other studies have found no statistically significant correlation.[/QUOTE]

I know - and at a guess some of them will be published in Frnech but I will sout around a few folk to see if I can actually find anything online.

YEA cos scietist always agree :), as do ecconomist, researchers, a a hoist of professionals

Lis

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
if this thread were about evolution, i wouldnt need more than a paragraph to answer the questions i already asked of you:

Beleive me writting big is really impressive, but it doesn't make the content any better.....

This thread was for Stimulating world to understand he didn't know what he was talign about, which has been proven over and over again - AKA dumping on something he knows nothing what so ever about....

So far no one else has state they know what they are talking about

:)