• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Spare Socket 939 Motherboard, anyone?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My PC's fried. I'm not at home right now, but when I am, there's a good chance I won't be online much for a while.

There's a 9/10 chance it's the motherboard, based on all the circumstantial evidence. Which would mean, when I replace it, I'll want to replace the CPU and memory as well. But hey, if anyone has a spare obsolete 939 mobo, gimme.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
best news ever

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
No that would be when your mom told me she was pregnant. The worst? We found out it was gonna be an EcK.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ LOL.

I'm not surprised. You sure do give that mother a hammering.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
My PC's fried. I'm not at home right now, but when I am, there's a good chance I won't be online much for a while.

There's a 9/10 chance it's the motherboard, based on all the circumstantial evidence. Which would mean, when I replace it, I'll want to replace the CPU and memory as well. But hey, if anyone has a spare obsolete 939 mobo, gimme.

Jack, you friggin nerd, you're lucky Ogre is not here.

137487b9de33b935.gif

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No that would be when your mom told me she was pregnant. The worst? We found out it was gonna be an EcK.
Don't you worry, everybody knows u'll still be there to lower humanity's average iq and keep all those things in balance.

We wouldn't want to fuck the bell curve up.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Don't you worry, everybody knows u'll still be there to lower humanity's average iq.
*looks up from Big Book of Science* That's me! Now, go back to being short and oderiferous, you silly hat wearing French fuck.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
*looks up from Big Book of Science* That's me! Now, go back to being short and oderiferous, you silly hat wearing French fuck.
So you actually waste time watching my pictures. Such an angry answer, sure ur not repressing some sort of gay love?

aw, he's so cute.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Actually may be able to help there but I don't suppose having one in coventry is much use to you.

Fancy a holiday abroad?

:whistling:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, buying a new old motherboard and experimenting is almost as expensive as getting a new badass computer...

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually may be able to help there but I don't suppose having one in coventry is much use to you.

Fancy a holiday abroad?

:whistling:
You don't have package mail service in your country?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
No idea.. I don't utilise such things except in receipt. I'd imagine so though.
You are the man, Xander. However, I've swapped hard drives and done a new Windows install, and I'm in business for now. There were some earlier problems with USB ports ceasing to function, which led me to believe the problem was the motherboard--And it may well be. A malfunction may have done bad things to the OS. I tried to reinstall Windows on that one and it said "Searching for previous installations of Windows" for hours when I left to do something. I can't imagine it being the hard-drive hardware itself, as it's a damned year-old Seagate Enterprise. They store national secrets on those.

I think there's not a bad chance my problems will come back in time, but I'll just hope they don't. More than hope: This time I won't overclock the FSB to 320MHz for two years straight like I did last time.

I'll let you know, Xander, if it fails again. Perhaps we could arrange a post-Xmas gift exchange. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You are the man, Xander. However, I've swapped hard drives and done a new Windows install, and I'm in business for now. There were some earlier problems with USB ports ceasing to function, which led me to believe the problem was the motherboard--And it may well be. A malfunction may have done bad things to the OS. I tried to reinstall Windows on that one and it said "Searching for previous installations of Windows" for hours when I left to do something. I can't imagine it being the hard-drive hardware itself, as it's a damned year-old Seagate Enterprise. They store national secrets on those.

I think there's not a bad chance my problems will come back in time, but I'll just hope they don't. More than hope: This time I won't overclock the FSB to 320MHz for two years straight like I did last time.

I'll let you know, Xander, if it fails again. Perhaps we could arrange a post-Xmas gift exchange. :)
Have you checked back stock in the local suppliers btw? I know that as a secondary measure you may be able to keep the RAM and upgrade the CPU but I'm not sure who'd still stock the stuff.

Btw, overclocking... are you doing that on air or on water? Perhaps a central heating incident?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Have you checked back stock in the local suppliers btw? I know that as a secondary measure you may be able to keep the RAM and upgrade the CPU but I'm not sure who'd still stock the stuff.

Btw, overclocking... are you doing that on air or on water? Perhaps a central heating incident?
It could have been. I think I had my Athlon 64 OCd from 2400 to 2880, so it ran "warm" all the time, on air. Also, the video card's (7800gt) fan/sink was clogged with dust, and it got up to at least 105 Celsius playing a game. Insane. After cleaning it was when the problems started, intermittent at first.

I'm not going to overclock this one anymore.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
It could have been. I think I had my Athlon 64 OCd from 2400 to 2880, so it ran "warm" all the time, on air. Also, the video card's (7800gt) fan/sink was clogged with dust, and it got up to at least 105 Celsius playing a game. Insane. After cleaning it was when the problems started, intermittent at first.

I'm not going to overclock this one anymore.

105!!! One hundred and five!!!

Hmm I think I may know what killed your motherboard... just a bit.

Next time, Antec 900 or 1200 case. Trust me. For air cooling I've yet to find something better.

105.. I'm surprised you don't need a new graphics card never mind motherboard!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
105!!! One hundred and five!!!

Hmm I think I may know what killed your motherboard... just a bit.

Next time, Antec 900 or 1200 case. Trust me. For air cooling I've yet to find something better.

105.. I'm surprised you don't need a new graphics card never mind motherboard!
I have an Antec...Something. It's the black one with a power button on it. Wait...640.

AntecTX640B.jpg

Which did have respectable cooling, being that I had two 80mm intake fans at the front and one 120mm at the back. But leading up to these issues, I'd neglected to clean the damn thing for quite a while, and I do think it's likely that heat was a factor one way or another.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
According to one site on aircooling (a respectable one in my estimations) negative air pressure is more desirable than positive. Perhaps turning your 80mms to extract?

Mind you, having said that, the Antec 900 I fitted up could only ever be loosely termed as negative air pressure. Sure I had most of the fans on extraction but those suckers have more holes in them than a dartboard!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
According to one site on aircooling (a respectable one in my estimations) negative air pressure is more desirable than positive. Perhaps turning your 80mms to extract?

Mind you, having said that, the Antec 900 I fitted up could only ever be loosely termed as negative air pressure. Sure I had most of the fans on extraction but those suckers have more holes in them than a dartboard!
I've heard the opposite, that slight positive pressure is better. I think that's what I ended up with, unintentionally, due to the CPU fan duct on the side.

But I'm not that worried about it anymore. The way things are going in the PC world, overclocking seems to be getting less advantageous.