• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs play Starcraft/RTS FTW? (gg in advance)

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I started this thread rather than derailing the other one, because I honestly just want to hear NTs talk about their favorite real time strategy games.

When I was younger I used to adore Starcraft, and I can clearly remember my parents giving me a lecture that the game was going to take over my life completely, because I would get stuck in an hours-long battle with a friend. Currently my favorite RTS title is homeworld 2, but I like it mainly because of the over-arching story and because you can operate the controls like you do a 3D modeling program. I think the gameplay's flow is a little long-winded, which is why no one ever wants to play a game against me that I know, because amassing a star fleet from scratch and then slowly pitting it against someone else's star fleet (also built painstakingly from scratch) is a time-consuming process!

In any case, I invite any NT types (and hell, other types too) to converse openly about the strategy games that have affected them o'er the years.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to love these types of games when I was younger. I can't believe you didn't mention command and conquer, age of empires or diablo. Those games were some of my favorites in middle school. I would have never figured out what a necropheliac was if it wasn't for R.T.Ss, Necromancers were my favorite type!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love RTS games. I play them often. But I'm an INFP so I can't participate. :cry:

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Blackcat, what is your favorite RTS game, and more importantly, which character do you imagine is you

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Red Alert 2, I played that game for years. I still do, hate RA3 thought.
Age of empires II comes into play here as well.
Star craft was neat as well.

I love non RTS games as well. I loved the Heroes series.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yes I do. I am playing them for years and I haven't lost interest.

Let me guess you got the thread idea from my thread?
I was thinking about opening thread like this. Probably I still will because topics are not identical.

I played almost all strategy games that ever worth something.
For me it was not unusual to play this kinds of games 15+ hours a day.

Form RTS I mostly liked all Blizzard games,all C&C games plus some historical.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Pretty much all of the major ones. Warcraft I was the main start - played it over 2400 modems with friend... later, Kali and Heat (where I racked up 29 straight hours of playtime!)

Don't play like that anymore - most strategy games now aren't progressive... just redone old versions. SC was the last major balanced-but-different strategy game I enjoyed. Some empire building games were fun (Sins of a Solar Empire = best designed space game ever!), or hybrids, but... yah. No time, no interest.

GL HF!

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I use to play Age of Empires, and Empire Earth, they are a little old now, but I still play them sometimes. Empire Earth was one of the best RTS I feel.
I still play Dawn of War, Battlestations Midway, Civilization Revolution, Sins of a Solar Empire.
I play a lot of FPS games too.
RTS and FPS are my favorite genres.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
DMeth, what is your opinion on the Sid Meier stuff? I've never really tried it, but it sounds awesome in an Asimovian "let's leap great eras of history in the course of our gameplay" kind of deal.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
later, Kali and Heat (where I racked up 29 straight hours of playtime!)

Holy shit, a bow of respect for a former Kali gamer please. Old school styles ALERT. So awesome.

Time is a huge factor with these games, definitely. I haven't really played a straight solo "run" of an RTS since I started trying to develop my own game, in 2004. I'm the type of person who does enjoy that insta-gratification of power that you can get from it though, so sometimes I'll put in cheats or whatever in order to say, have infinite resources or the ability to build things faster, or have all the units at the beginning, etc.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
When I was younger I liked to play RTS like Warcraft 2&3, Total Annihilation, Earth 2150, Starcraft and such. However my favourite RTS so far is Hearts of Iron II : Doomsday (with Total Realism Project mod), a WWII-era grand-strategy game in which the smallest controllable unit is a division. Actually, the game is pausable if you play against the AI, so technically the gameplay is closer to a turn based strategy game, which makes sense since I now prefer those to RTS games. I consider games like C&C or Starcraft to be mainly tactical in nature, IMO success in them depends more on quick reaction, tactical intelligence, flexibility, and clicking speed :D than on strategic planning. In Hearts of Iron II you can methodically plan and execute actual World Domination :smile: .

What I especially like about it, is that I am in charge of an entire country's military, research and industrial production without being bogged down by a lot of unnecessary details.While the combat part of the game is quite complex, the economic and industrial aspects are greatly simplified, so that you can engage in global mangement but don't have to do a lot of micromanagement. To succeed at the game you need to plan long term, capital ships for example take several years to build, so you need to at least have some idea of what you will be doing when they finish. The game also taught me a whole lot about geography, I now know where exactly all the European capitals are and can draw a fairly detailed world map from memory, including terrain :).

When I play an RTS like Starcraft I kind of feel like some mid-level commander who the General send to some random place to fight a battle, I don't feel in charge of the overall situation in those games. I recently tried to play "Supreme Commander" which does have a very "global" feel to it, but that game was incredibly confusing, there was just too much going on all the time, and it also runs too slow on my computer.

I also like to play games like Civilization 4 (mostly online, the turns have a time limit there) and generally prefer turn based strategy or RTS which you can pause because I like to have some time to think and I don't like feeling rushed all the time.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh that brings up another good question, which is:

Which types like turn-based RPGs more than the "dynamic" types, on the general whole? Me personally, I like turn-based a lot more, particularly because it gives you more time to think/plan.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh that brings up another good question, which is:

Which types like turn-based RPGs more than the "dynamic" types, on the general whole? Me personally, I like turn-based a lot more, particularly because it gives you more time to think/plan.

When it comes to turn based, I like 'board' game versions more than the wargames - but from the DS to console to PC, I don't think turn based is very good. Best on portables though, as it does let you think. In reality, though, most are more like FF tactics, which is a great game, but most of the time takes forever even if you know you can win.

Games like chess and Go, of course, but I think those are too linear now (even go :D ). I prefer games like Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, etc. I actually spend more time playing those with friends than I do playing games.

(Ok, except wow now :D )

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've only played Civ 4 and Civ Rev.
Civ 4 was okay, but it got sort of tedious after a certain amount of gameplay time, once the nation starts getting complex it's not so much management and more like constantly moving units and producing units. I would still suggest you try it, or at least the demo.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV Demo - FileFront.com

Civ Rev is better in my opinion. It's basically a more simple Civ 4. And I like the art style. Although it is only for PS3 and 360.

I don't especially like the Civ games because I enjoy micromanagement. Building bases. Organizing armies. And Civ doesn't really do that.

EDIT: Oh and they are turn based, so you'd probably like them I assume?

Kanamori

It was mostly my NF friends who were into Starcraft/Warcraft style RTSs. I was/am a huge sucker for grand strategy games like Total War and Hearts of Iron. Playing MTW: VI online was probably the thing I've poured most of my efforts and time into. Thinking about it gets me worked up again about how much they butchered the battle engine in Rome and Medieval II.:2up:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really loved Age of Empires II (I played as the Goths), Dawn of War (I play Chaos) and Starcraft (Zerg). I pretty much hated Warcraft 3, the whole hero style of gameplay really wasn't for me.

I also like fighting games like Guilty Gear (<3 May) and Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Ness, Wolf, Luigi and Sonic).

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
SC2 is coming out soon.....

Anyone wanna play SC1, brush up on their skillz?

I definitely knew a lot of NTs that played SC, but I don't know if they'd be the most populous type on bnet or anything.

As far as strategy games that have consumed my life, I've probably played around 30-40,000 total hours on Civilization (2 3 and 4) and Starcraft alone.