• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Im going to ENTP the hell out of you.

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
So I go to art school. Savannah college of art and Design to be more specific. At the end of every school year, my major(Broadcasting design and motion graphics BCST for short) holds a giant conference of all the top names in broadcasting. Comedy central, Turner Broadcasting, Digital kitchen, Dreamworks, ect. The big boys of the BCST world show up. It is a place for employers to look at and hire the top minds in my field. However this year they are doing something different.

2 Student speakers are getting a chance to talk for 15 min uninterrupted during the conference. There are roughly 100 students in my major all together. However I believe that not only am I one of the very very Few E's in the group, I would bet good money that I'm the ONLY ENTP in my field, at least among the Juniors and Seniors.

The majority of people applying for this spot will be INFJ, ISFP, INTP, INTJ, ISTP, and INFP. So other than having a HUGE advantage among these other would-be speakers, due to my natural love of speaking to large groups of people. However I must present my pitch to the head of my department tomorrow, and I've so far been rather P about the whole situation and well, done nothing. Now I can't let such a golden opportunity to pass me by, so not only do I need input, but any tips as to help convince my department chair that I should be one of the two he picks.

Oh hes INTP or INTJ, I can't tell. Equally The topic is something along the lines of " why my generation doesn't watch TV " and I'll basically be speaking to the people who make TV.

I'd honestly like to yell at them for making such terrible programs for the last 20 years. But NT input from others would be much appreciated.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have your work/profile and you have yourself
sell them the best you can

its really that simple - the details are up to you.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Remember a very important lesson in life. Never search for what the others do wrong. It will lead you nowhere and just bring you down in the very long run.

Where the road leads from there, I dont know, still figuring out.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...i'm not an nt...but i don't play by the rules much...haha ;)

i'd say an important point is that so many are on their computers, phones and ipods and watching shows and videos online instead and we've seen so many of the same types of shows over and over for the last decade that they really need something new...or maybe you don't wanna say that maybe that's offensive....

what is exactly the objective though? to inspire them that you're the one with the fresh ideas and would be an asset to the company? is that the goal?

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
"Remember a very important lesson in life. Never search for what the others do wrong. It will lead you nowhere and just bring you down in the very long run."

Sigh, I don't want to fix TV, I want to yell at the TV bigwigs for making it shitty. But you bring up a good point, i may better my chances if I were to discuss how to make TV more watchable for my generation.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...positive reads better...focus on that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you have ideas how they can do that?

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
well...i'm not an nt...but i don't play by the rules much...haha ;)

i'd say an important point is that so many are on their computers, phones and ipods and watching shows and videos online instead and we've seen so many of the same types of shows over and over for the last decade that they really need something new...or maybe you don't wanna say that maybe that's offensive....

what is exactly the objective though? to inspire them that you're the one with the fresh ideas and would be an asset to the company? is that the goal?

The goal is to allow students to speak. I honestly would like to just be the most ENTP I can be while ridiculing them about how shitty everything they force feed us is. I get to show power points as well. How TV is just rewritten, reruns of the same plot, characters and design of every fucking show. Do you know how many CSI's there are? what the fuck.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The goal is to allow students to speak. I honestly would like to just be the most ENTP I can be while ridiculing them about how shitty everything they force feed us is. I get to show power points as well. How TV is just rewritten, reruns of the same plot, characters and design of every fucking show. Do you know how many CSI's there are? what the fuck.

oh no i got that but...i meant what is it they want...what is it you have to impress on them?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I honestly would like to just be the most ENTP I can be while ridiculing them about how shitty everything they force feed us is. I get to show power points as well. How TV is just rewritten, reruns of the same plot, characters and design of every fucking show. Do you know how many CSI's there are? what the fuck.

Perhaps one of the ENTPs on the forum could come and tell how well that approach has worked for them in the past.

Or you could just read up on the difference between constructive criticism and ranting.

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
do you have ideas how they can do that?

How to make TV better? I have a list of ideas

Less reality TV shows.
Make things more accessible online.
Less placed products.
Less shows about doctors falling in love.
Less shows with the "friends" theme.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds good...charm them with your ideas and don't turn them off with criticism and you should be good. ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
How to make TV better? I have a list of ideas

Less reality TV shows.
Make things more accessible online.
Less placed products.
Less shows about doctors falling in love.
Less shows with the "friends" theme.

All these things, when implemented, will cause them to make less money. Try to put yourself in their shoes. The question is why your generation doesn't watch TV, not why TV is shitty. Those are two radically different questions. Be sure not to massage the topic to something you're more passionate about. Stay on point and offer them a message they will hear.

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
All these things, when implemented, will cause them to make less money. Try to put yourself in their shoes. The question is why your generation doesn't watch TV, not why TV is shitty. Those are two radically different questions. Be sure not to massage the topic to something you're more passionate about. Stay on point and offer them a message they will hear.

See here is where I disagree with you, they will be making more money if they actually make GOOD tv.

MBTI Type
INTJ
See here is where I disagree with you, they will be making more money if they actually make GOOD tv.

Not necessarily. They can make more money from 10 people watching a reality show than from 100 people watching a quality drama. It sounds like you are assuming that the reason your generation doesn't watch TV is the quality of the TV, and that is a dubious conclusion. There has always been crap, but the best TV is better now than it ever has been, and people still don't watch. The answer lies more in competition from other media.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

Then what you have to do is prove that to them, offer up alternatives, and explain how it would be better for them. It likely won't be easy, though. They're likely entrenched in their view, and why not? It's been working out great so far.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

im not really on point, but hopefully this will jump start something in your brain... i felt like venting anyways haha

---------------------------------------------------------------
DRAMAS
Tv series dramas are retarded because they have to keep coming up with "mini" climaxes every freaking week. so by the end of the season, its been an 8 hour movie with 16 climaxes!?? no movie could ever be successful so why should they expect a show to be?

COMEDY
comedy actaully makes sense as a TV genre because the plot doesnt have to move every freaking week. it can simply 'move' and doesnt have to keep getting more and more melodramatic every week to get people to watch out of fear that their favorite character is going to die :doh:. commedies also seem to get better as they go, while dramas only get worse.

laugh tracks = the producers know the show isnt funny enough to stand on its own (exception being seinfeld)

HUMOR ONLY SEEMS TO GO ONE DIRECTION--> FARTHER
-animal house was the best movie ever to our parents generation...to us, its...'entertaining' but hardly laugh out loud funny.

something like old school pushed the envelope a lot farther.

-the simpsons was funny when it was the only game in town

something like south park/family guy/futurama all push the envelope farther and are now liked better.

OFF THE WALL --> CONSERVATIVE
also of note is that the shows that are at first kind of 'off the wall' then become the 'new' more 'conservative' shows. example: southpark was a freaking weird show at first, now its fairly standard and one of the more conservative (i dont mean politically). Robot chicken used to be the weirdest show on TV, now theres shows like 'super jail' and "tim and eric awesome show: great job good show!"

SCHEDULES:
I personally think Adult swim does the best programming because they never get into a routine of "every thursday at 8 is _____" and so they really keep it fresh. one week there will be 2 hours of family guy in a row 3 nights in a row, the next week it might be futurama.

the problem with doing that, is that most of america is full of lazy deadbeats who like having the same fucking show on at the same time every week.

WRITING:
the writing for TV is so poor because they make each member of their writing staff pump out 40 pages a week (stat check on that, please). its no wonder they all become robotic and write crap. most movies are written with far more care.

Nickels

MBTI Type
ENTP
Then what you have to do is prove that to them, offer up alternatives, and explain how it would be better for them. It likely won't be easy, though. They're likely entrenched in their view, and why not? It's been working out great so far.

As see this is where you are wrong good sir. They HAVEN'T been able to successfully market to the college age group, I've taken a few advertising courses and the industry is just really damn confused on what 18-25 year college students WATCH, they really have no idea.

well other than shit on comedy central.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
great post babylon...really good points. :)