• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and the autism spectrum

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Any thoughts on this? Are NTs more likely to be higher on the spectrum? I have a few habits that I think would place me higher than average on it, but not high enough to warrant a diagnosis (even of Asperger's). I wonder where INTJs, as a general type, would place?

For interest's sake, here's 2 quizzes from the Guardian (UK):

EQ (Empathy Quotient): The Empathy Quotient (EQ) | Science | guardian.co.uk

SQ (Systematizing Quotient): The Systemizing Quotient (SQ) | Science | guardian.co.uk

I score highly on *both* of them, which I suppose means my brain is a transsexual. Oh dear.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, I happen to have given this topic a lot of thought, as I believe the labels of autism and Asperger's are being massively overused in our society.

The criteria for mild autism and, especially, Asperger's seem to be shifting all the time; so much so that almost everyone displays some of the symptoms.

There's actually quite a fine line between some of the natural tendencies of certain MBTI types, and what is commonly considered autistic. There also seems to be two distinct parts to the syndrome:

1) Extreme sensitivity (esp. of the sense organs) leading to withdrawal and a need to systematise the environment to reduce anxiety.

2) Difficulty with interpersonal relationships and empathy.

The first category could apply to many Introverts, but I suspect would be most likely to affect Introverted Perceiving types (ISJs and INJs), who tend to have highly attuned sense organs.

Category 2 implies an inferior (or poorly developed) Extraverted Feeling function. The two types with inferior Fe are ISTP and INTP. ISTJs and INTJs also tend to struggle with expressing Fe appropriately.

Combining the two categories leads to the conclusion that a preference for Introversion and Thinking is most likely to resemble mild autism or Asperger's. Our culture has already started to make this mistaken connection. Famous introverted thinking types, such as Albert Einstein, are being retro-fitted as classic Asperger's cases by the popular media.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi, I happen to have given this topic a lot of thought, as I believe the labels of autism and Asperger's are being massively overused in our society.

Yeah, I agree with this, but my post was regarding autism as a spectrum (which seems to be what the most recognized autism researchers are recommending, as of now anyway), not as a black or white you have it or you don't thing. But I do agree with what you're saying re: over diagnosis. It's one of the ailments du jour, definitely. I have friends who refer to their own 'Asperger's' who have never been diagnosed or even tested.

I just assumed that NTs might be further along the spectrum than, for example, SFs. It'd be interesting to see some stats but I don't know if there are any.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I agree with this, but my post was regarding autism as a spectrum (which seems to be what the most recognized autism researchers are recommending, as of now anyway), not as a black or white you have it or you don't thing. But I do agree with what you're saying re: over diagnosis. It's one of the ailments du jour, definitely. I have friends who refer to their own 'Asperger's' who have never been diagnosed or even tested.

I just assumed that NTs might be further along the spectrum than, for example, SFs. It'd be interesting to see some stats but I don't know if there are any.

You are right, I also see mental disorders as being at one end of a spectrum ranging from normal functioning to dysfunctional (or even psychotic at the extreme end). To summarise my earlier analysis; autism can be seen as an extreme form of introverted perception (most likely Si), with an overlay of inferior or undeveloped Fe. I believe that extraverted types are much less likely to be considered autistic than introverts. Most extraverts have a keen awareness of the social milieu of which they are a part, even if they don't agree with or go along with the prevailing views.

I'd also hazard a guess that IST types are the most likely to fall within the autistic end of the spectrum, closely followed by INT types. Even then, only a small minority of people can truly be considered autistic, in my opinion.