• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's: Explain how you are different from ENFP please

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
lol and then pawn it off as politeness. NFs rock, and I don't even mean that in a sarcastic way.

Anyway, I just thought of something relating to the original post--

Jon Stewart, ENFP, and Stephen Colbert, ENTP...they seem to be a great example of the dichotomy. Stewart is more inclined to make silly jokes that have no personal insult attached...he's more just zany and off the wall, but knows how to tie it all together to balance amusing his audience with respecting and appreciating his guests.

Colbert is more of a dick, though his primary intention is not to hurt anyone--he just doesn't make much of an effort to avoid it. He's much more focused on plotting his next comeback, subtly mocking or insulting his guest or himself. The way he interviews guests is very telling...he's much more confrontational and makes a lot less effort (only as much as he has to) to make sure they're emotionally comfortable. He's quite simply more self-centered and more focused on getting a reaction from the audience than he is on maintaining social harmony and politeness between people, and that's most of what separates ENTP Colbert from ENFP Stewart.

Um, I appreciate the trouble, but Stewart is introverted.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um, I appreciate the trouble, but Stewart is introverted.

when we debated before, most converged on the idea of stewart being ENTP and Colbert being INFP.

Colbert's character being some sort of EXTJ of course (to make fun of orielly types). Stewart has the classic ENTP 'style' of ensnaring his interviewers in their own shit...

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Stewart is the shyest man on American television. Geezus dude.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My ENFP brother and I concur about one thing.

People suck. They just really do.

They stand in the way of everything fresh and good and progressive and effective, and reserve the right to complain about the way things are. They are the embodiment of the failed potential of the universe entire.

They have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the water trough and forced to drink to save their own lives, bitterly complaining and bucking against the hand that leads them to said rehydrative salvation.

Bless them.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Oh, I loathe humans in a "god bless 'em" sort of way. They are never satisfied. Their lives are these meaningless blips on a radar screen the size of infinity, their needs are trumped by their petty and shallow feelings and they're always assuming that the world OWES them something. They're cute though. :3

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
My ENFP brother and I concur about one thing.

People suck. They just really do.

They stand in the way of everything fresh and good and progressive and effective, and reserve the right to complain about the way things are. They are the embodiment of the failed potential of the universe entire.

They have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the water trough and forced to drink to save their own lives, bitterly complaining and bucking against the hand that leads them to said rehydrative salvation.

Bless them.

Ha. My ENTP brother and I feel the same, a lot of the time.

We actually act the same a lot of the time. (Though with completely different sets of interests/areas of expertise, respectively)
I've got a fairly developed 'T' for a 'F'.
He's got a very developed 'F' for a 'T'.

In fact - yesterday we were debating ideas and HE is the one who got upset at me for implying something he did not agree with (it actually totally obscured his judgment of my point - which in the end, he agreed with) whilst I maintained completely calm and level-headed, pointing out the rationality of my argument until he calmed the hell down and listened with his head.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Ha. My ENTP brother and I feel the same, a lot of the time.

We actually act the same a lot of the time. (Though with completely different sets of interests/areas of expertise, respectively)
I've got a fairly developed 'T' for a 'F'.
He's got a very developed 'F' for a 'T'.

In fact - yesterday we were debating ideas and HE is the one who got upset at me for implying something he did not agree with (it actually totally obscured his judgment of my point - which in the end, he agreed with) whilst I maintained completely calm and level-headed, pointing out the rationality of my argument until he calmed the hell down and listened with his head.
Dude, it seems like ur more or less an ENXP and that ur brother is an enfp trying to pass as an entp because of the social pressure for males to act T.

Older or younger brother? Family structure ? Dynamics with parents?

Some people will for example socially act as F or T but really be the opposite in their inner midst.
You can especially see that when pushing people to their limit\ how they deal with crisis touching them or people around them.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Some people will for example socially act as F or T but really be the opposite in their inner midst.
You can especially see that when pushing people to their limit\ how they deal with crisis touching them or people around them.

This is true. I act like a T quite often. Specially around girls. I don't know how that explains my success with women ... or not, but there you go.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anybody other than Larry:

How is Colbert INFP? I could maybe see that for Stewart, I guess, but Colbert is so ENTP it's stupid. He's ridiculously ENTP. He's soooo self-centered! His entire show is deadpan satire of Bill O'Reilly. Did you guys watch his speech at the White House Press Correspondents' dinner a couple years ago? He's the biggest smart ass on the planet; he rarely utters a single word that isn't caked in multiple layers of irony and subtle mockery. INFPs are generally more straightforward and MUCH more forgiving of honest mistakes--Colbert jumps at the opportunity to correct someone on even the slightest verbal mistake, and I really think his interviews are great evidence--he doesn't give a shit about what the person is saying so much as with coming up with clever little return shots to get a laugh or otherwise impress the audience. INFPs are far more concerned with making people (especially their own guests) comfortable...Colbert rarely does this at all.

I've never met the guy in person, but his TV persona seems most certainly ENTP.

And Larry, please understand that spending more time considering the angles than most (and yes, INTP is dominant Ti, I really don't particularly care what your proprietary made up pseudo-MBTI says) doesn't entitle you to blatantly ignore new evidence when it arises. I know, I know--"I've spent more time thinking about this than ANYONE!" But you've got to at least try and understand that:

A) It's possible for you to be wrong *gasp!*,
B) Smarter people than you can arrive at more accurate conclusions than yours in less time and with less consideration, and
C) Nobody gives a shit how sure you are that you're right if you can't back it up with some genuine arguments. (And no, "I'M REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SURE!!!!!!!111111" doesn't count.)

But hey, I don't even expect this to get through at all. After all, you're SO SURE of yourself, why bother considering any new information, ever?

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Dude, it seems like ur more or less an ENXP and that ur brother is an enfp trying to pass as an entp because of the social pressure for males to act T.

Older or younger brother? Family structure ? Dynamics with parents?

No.
And I can say that with nigh-absolute certainty.

Other than my being partial to utilize logic when debating ideas, I am pretty much a textbook ENFP. (Bear in mind - I was raised by an INTJ)
I generally interact with people on a feeling level, I'm very empathetic, hold my morals in the highest esteem (higher than logic), etc. I'm just an 'F' who understands that reacting emotionally to an opinion which does not match your own, or someone who obviously didn't quite get what you were saying - makes absolutely no sense. (If somebody deeply offends my sense of morality with a bigoted opinion without giving me any logical reason as to why - then their eyes are going to be verbally scratched the hell out)

Other than his occasional tendency towards outbursts of feeling when it's something somewhat personal (what we were discussing had to do with fathers and sons, was a little close to the bone - he thought I was projecting an idea which he deeply disagreed with and kind of exploded before he listened to me with the rational part of his brain) he is a typical ENTP. Logic is held in the highest regard, over most else. But he does have a five-year-old son, and being a parent changes your priorities.

I'm very 'live-and-let-live', and try to accept everyone as they are (bigots are not included here)
He has no patience for anyone he considers to be an 'idiot'.
I think people need to learn tolerance.
He thinks people need to learn to think things through.
I'm arts-inclined.
He's science-inclined.

....Get the idea? ;)

The lines between the types aren't always as clear-cut as you'd like them to be.

(And to answer some of your questions - he's my half-brother, twelve years my senior, we share the same INTJ father but he wasn't always there for my brother as his mother and he were getting divorced when he was just a kid)

Also - the child-type of both ENTPs and ENFPs is ENP - the T/F preference comes later. Couldn't this blur the line between the types if they learnt to use both functions as they grew?

Last edited:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I entirely agree. Its no use beating the Jack. He owns 90% market share of Typology Central Inc. The only way to challenge him is to accumulate more post counts than him. which i doubt is highly possible.

Well, looks like 90% market share didn't save his dumb ass from getting banned for half a year, now did it?

sculpting

It's sort of funny to see two banned people arguing on this thread...like some sort of life after death thing...