• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Would an INTP ever say this...

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
perhaps when he's middle-aged?

"…one increasingly feels the need for some kind of order among the chaotic multiplicity of points of view."

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't see why not. Most points of view are wrong or stupid and aren't worth considering in the first place, yet we feel the need to assimilate everything at our disposal. Bringing a bit of order into the mix can't hurt. Even though I love chaos. Such a beautiful term, word, everything. And like they say, once you reach a certain level of chaos, patterns do begin to emerge.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why wouldn't an INTP say it ... especially if reaching middle age?

Just because one is open-minded and a P doesn't mean that some types of order are uniformedly shunned ... especially by someone interested in "clarity of thought." I get irked sometimes when there's a multiplicity of options being tossed out and all weighted equally regardless of merit; it's nice to get rid of the "noise" if possible.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't see why not. Most points of view are wrong or stupid and aren't worth considering in the first place, yet we feel the need to assimilate everything at our disposal. Bringing a bit of order into the mix can't hurt. Even though I love chaos. Such a beautiful term, word, everything. And like they say, once you reach a certain level of chaos, patterns do begin to emerge.
Thank you for that peek into the INTP mind.

Awesome superman avatar, btw. :smile:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Why wouldn't an INTP say it ... especially if reaching middle age?

Just because one is open-minded and a P doesn't mean that some types of order are uniformedly shunned ... especially by someone interested in "clarity of thought." I get irked sometimes when there's a multiplicity of options being tossed out and all weighted equally regardless of merit; it's nice to get rid of the "noise" if possible.
Thanks Jennifer.
I guess it struck me as something an INTJ would say.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think singular statements can't really be used as indicative of type.

This particular statement could be used along with a number of OTHER statements to suggest a particular pattern of thinking, but as a standalone it seems pretty open to interpretation.

And mid-life does really shake things up. People who are growing become more well-rounded and see value in other approaches depending on context...

Well thank you! I still have the cape actually. And the shirt. Pants don't fit anymore though :(

you're not wearing pants? :huh:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Of course. We don't dislike order per se . . . only stupid/useless/stifling ones. Order is a way to weed through a jumble of the useless and useful and properly define and categorize them. We don't need to be old to appreciate this.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Silly question..... this is akin to asking whether or not an ISTJ would wear red Ronald McDonald shoes

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

"…one increasingly feels the need for some kind of order among the chaotic multiplicity of points of view."

I don't know if I would say that, but it is certainly the kind of thing I might think about. I often think of bringing order to chaos, but never about applying it to points of view.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks Jennifer.
I guess it struck me as something an INTJ would say.

Actually, I kind of doubt an INTJ would say that. In my experience, INTJs are more interested in bringing order to how things are done and their goals, rather than points of view. Ni likes multiple perspectives, but Te wants things to work efficiently. Ti would rather flatten them into a coherent system, though Ne would tend to look for the possibilities inherent in that system.

It's not as clear as you might think... INTPs have not only dominant Ti (which is still judgment though you don't see it), but tertiary Si. I imagine they can seem very J in many ways.

With Introverts, J and P make far less sense because of how Introverts tend to act outwardly in a manner that's the exact opposite of how they operate internally, although there's always bleed through.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

I'd believe such a thing if it is impeding logical progress, say for instance in a situation where something would beneift thousands being held up or cancelled becuase it conflicts with a small group's wants/beliefs/whatever.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would never say it.

True. But you're not Ti-Ne, you're an INTP with dominant Intuition. Quite a few INTPs say that they're INTPs because they think of themselves as Ti dominant. Which throws everything off.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, I kind of doubt an INTJ would say that. In my experience, INTJs are more interested in bringing order to how things are done and their goals, rather than points of view. Ni likes multiple perspectives, but Te wants things to work efficiently. Ti would rather flatten them into a coherent system, though Ne would tend to look for the possibilities inherent in that system.

It's not as clear as you might think... INTPs have not only dominant Ti (which is still judgment though you don't see it), but tertiary Si. I imagine they can seem very J in many ways.

With Introverts, J and P make far less sense because of how Introverts tend to act outwardly in a manner that's the exact opposite of how they operate internally, although there's always bleed through.
Since I am an INTJ and since I have been studying the INTJ type for over 18 years,
I felt qualified to make that statement.
Perhaps you are the one who is mistaken.

The statement made was one of wanting to close off options.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Sure. Types are theoretically suppose to become more balanced with age.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I just realized I do this all the time. I just never expressed it in those terms. That is what you do if you try to make sense of financial price data. Price is the concensous opinion of all participants in a given market market at any given time. Prices are too noisy to work with directly. You need some kind of a model to make working with the chaotic nature of price easier. One of the simplest models is just a moving average on the price.

bloodyfungus

MBTI Type
INTP

No he'd never say that...

.....but he'd certainly think it ;)

My dry humour alarm went off with this topic....almost as it was a plan to make INTPs argue about the complex subject matter whilst the questioner sits back with a knowing smile watching chaos ensue.....but I'm sure it wasn't really.........was it?