• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Science/Maths

Poussin

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been reading bits and bobs concerning MBTI recently and its raised a bit of an issue for me. Whilst I identify with the "personal" bits of the descriptions of NTs/INTPs and see myself in the behaviours, I'm questioning my response in light of the strong interest predicted in science and maths- neither of which really float my boat. So I guess my question is whether their are many ( there will be some) NTs whose main, academic shall we say, interest is in something wholy unrelated to science or maths?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've been reading bits and bobs concerning MBTI recently and its raised a bit of an issue for me. Whilst I identify with the "personal" bits of the descriptions of NTs/INTPs and see myself in the behaviours, I'm questioning my response in light of the strong interest predicted in science and maths- neither of which really float my boat. So I guess my question is whether their are many ( there will be some) NTs whose main, academic shall we say, interest is in something wholy unrelated to science or maths?
Plenty. I don't care for calculation, being as it's not treading new ground and is detail-oriented, but I like math concepts.

I think I got a 100 on my Calculus final because I was able to decipher problems in non-standard ways when I'd forgotten a step or two in the "proper method."

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Science and Math rely heavily on logical systems, which NTs and most notably INTPs find very enjoyable and interesting. The very idea of formulas and systems that explain the world is something our minds are equipped to do easily. I would ask what you find interesting in the first place, and you can probably break it down as to why you enjoy it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Moar thoughts:

These days, as opposed to the 20s or something when physics was explosive, the hard sciences aren't brutally interesting. It's the soft sciences like economics and psychology which are more dynamic and therefore interesting, to me at least.

Poussin

MBTI Type
INTP
My passions (if I can be said to have them) have always been languages and literature, English at school and French and Italian at college. Mathematical stuff isn't something I find all that interesting, which leads me to conclude that I'm not INTP but none of the other descriptions have really clicked. Return to the books I suppose.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My passions (if I can be said to have them) have always been languages and literature, English at school and French and Italian at college. Mathematical stuff isn't something I find all that interesting, which leads me to conclude that I'm not INTP but none of the other descriptions have really clicked. Return to the books I suppose.
Linguistics is a common interest of INTPs.

Poussin

MBTI Type
INTP
Linguistics or language? If you get what I mean

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
There is also the tendency to say that "Most scientists are INTPs" and believe it says "Most INTPs are scientists".

It's a similar issue when asking if there are more truck drivers or ivy league english teachers that read poetry.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I actually find half of the subjects and hobbies of the textbook INTP either boring or just plain hard.

Maths: D grade.
Science: I failed biology, the easiest of the three sciences.
IT: My ESTP brother had to help me with my coursework in order to pass.
Law: Thought about taking it, then realised the course sounded dull.
Chess: I don't think I've ever won a game.

The only subjects I'm good at are English language and literature (but I dislike the latter). I'm probably just an example of a dumb INTP.

Edit: Having said that, I enjoyed biology; I just never seemed to get a decent grade in the exam. Plus, our coursework was about osmosis in potatoes. How can anyone find the motivation to do something so exhilirating?

Poussin

MBTI Type
INTP
I initially read profiles etc. which didn't seem so fixed on the mathematical/scientific- ness but reading more it's being stressed more. And given my tendancy to second guess myself, it's kind of making me dismiss what I thought fitted best. But the whole thing is basically going in circles anyway.

G

garbage

And given my tendancy to second guess myself, it's kind of making me dismiss what I thought fitted best. But the whole thing is basically going in circles anyway.

That happened to me, too, but then I found that my first guess was the correct one. No description will fit you 100%, and you might identify with others as you're thrust into different life circumstances that warrant the use of other cognitive functions.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Nobody obliges you to be interested in anything particular. An INTp might apply his INTp skills to graphic design, language, fashion, whatever.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
my experience with ENTJs is that many like math and business, but have little interest in science, while INTPs like math and science, but have little interest in business, outside of what they think they need to understand to keep their bosses happy

still, just because you don't like either doesn't mean you're not INTP, interest in specific fields obviously will depend on individual experiences

Either way, ENTPs show our superiority again by understanding math, science, and having the business sense to put it all together!

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Nobody obliges you to be interested in anything particular. An INTp might apply his INTp skills to graphic design, language, fashion, whatever.

Yeah, that. Also consider there's larger factors than personality theory that determine what you enjoy, such as your culture, community, and what your parents liked to study.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like everything, and I mean everything. See my signature below, after the disclaimer.

I will admit though, I am a biochemist with heavy physics background, so rule as you may with that observation.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hard sciences is about the only field of academics I really can't stand. That and literary analyses.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hard sciences is about the only field of academics I really can't stand. That and literary analyses.

My thoughts exactly. The last science class I even partially enjoyed was physics, and that's because I got to take the one without the lab (with all the other non-physics majors). I really don't enjoy labs.

I kind of liked math when I was younger, mostly because the classes were predictable and basically standardized. Then I decided that it was irrelevant to my interests and stopped caring about my grade in the class. This has resulted in my present ineptitude at calculus (got a C in undergrad).

Like you, Pouissan, I enjoy languages. It's the only thing I won any award for in high school (while all the others in the smarty pants group had a bunch).