• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Science/Maths

Poussin

MBTI Type
INTP
I quite like literary analysis- should actually being doing one right now!- but thanks for the feedback. It's been interesting

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been reading bits and bobs concerning MBTI recently and its raised a bit of an issue for me. Whilst I identify with the "personal" bits of the descriptions of NTs/INTPs and see myself in the behaviours, I'm questioning my response in light of the strong interest predicted in science and maths- neither of which really float my boat. So I guess my question is whether their are many ( there will be some) NTs whose main, academic shall we say, interest is in something wholy unrelated to science or maths?

I think the common claim that INTPs are particularly interested in the "hard" sciences and mathematics are synecdochical; I find that INTPs are drawn to a multiplicity of complex subjects, including history, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, systematic theology, literary theory/criticism, et al.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I think the common claim that INTPs are particularly interested in the "hard" sciences and mathematics are synecdochical; I find that INTPs are drawn to a multiplicity of complex subjects, including history, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, systematic theology, literary theory/criticism, et al.
You can't use that text and a word like synechdochial. You just can't.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Plenty. I don't care for calculation, being as it's not treading new ground and is detail-oriented, but I like math concepts.

I think I got a 100 on my Calculus final because I was able to decipher problems in non-standard ways when I'd forgotten a step or two in the "proper method."

I've also done this a few times at math tests. I completely identify with what you say... I am generally very much uninterested in repetitive math studies, but there are a few concepts that I am very much into... Mostly things in the physics realm.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm having a hard time understanding how the claim that INTPs are particularly interested in math/science is synechdochical.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm having a hard time understanding how the claim that INTPs are particularly interested in math/science is synechdochical.
Me too, partially because I don't know what synecdochical means.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Me too, partially because I don't know what synechdochical means.

It's a device where you refer to a whole by calling it a part, or refer to a part by calling it a whole. Like calling a particular police officer "the law", or referring to hired help as "hand." In this case, the only thing I could see is maybe if we actually referred to INTPs as "scientists" (since we say that most scientists are INTPs, so we refer to INTPs as scientists, or refer to the part as the whole).

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It's a device where you refer to a whole by calling it a part, or refer to a part by calling it a whole. In this case, the only thing I could see is maybe if we actually referred to INTPs as "scientists" (since we say that most scientists are INTPs, so we refer to INTPs as scientists, or refer to the part as the whole).
I think it might be a misapplication of the word.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think it might be a misapplication of the word.

Hence my failure to understand it, and subsequent need to say so (although that might in all honesty have been motivated by my irritation at his choice of font). But maybe he has an explanation that I totally missed, so...

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP

A synecdoche is a trope usually used to denote a whole by referencing a part; "All hands (sailors) on deck" is an example that is frequently heard, and many would be familiar with. I would say that the claim that INTPs are drawn to the hard sciences and mathematics is a denotation of a totality of complex subjects, that would consist of almost innumerable subjects, and their various subdisciplines, of which the hard sciences and mathematics are a part.

EDIT: Of course, the "parts" may actually be symbols/representatives/examples, and so forth, of complex subjects. I find either reading plausible.

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
yea, i studied engineering, but i am horrible with money (at least my own business, lol)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
A synecdoche is a trope usually used to denote a whole by referencing a part; "All hands (sailors) on deck" is an example that is frequently heard, and many would be familiar with. I would say that the claim that INTPs are drawn to the hard sciences and mathematics is a denotation of a totality of complex subjects, that would consist of almost innumerable subjects, and their various subdisciplines, of which the hard sciences and mathematics are a part.

I know what a synechdoche is, as per my last few posts. I think I understand what you're saying, though. The use of the words "mathematics" and "hard sciences" to describe the interests of INTPs is using a part to describe the whole of the INTPs interests, of which any number of disciplines outside of specifically math or science may be included. Gotcha.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I know what a synechdoche is, as per my last few posts. I think I understand what you're saying, though. The use of the words "mathematics" and "hard sciences" to describe the interests of INTPs is using a part to describe the whole of the INTPs interests, of which any number of disciplines outside of specifically math or science may be included. Gotcha.
It's not a figure of speech in this case though. Now I know what it means, watch out everybody.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's not a figure of speech in this case though. Now I know what it means, watch out everybody.

Yeah I know, because I think the authors of the type descriptions pretty literally meant the hard science and math disciplines, in their specific sense.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Honestly, I find basic math concepts a bit more challenging than say, broader concepts, dealing with physics and such. If you know what I'm saying..

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Merisms are all the more fun.

I've run the thought back and forth through my mind, and I've concluded that you're obviously posting drunk after rhetoric class.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
I've run the thought back and forth through my mind, and I've concluded that you're obviously posting drunk after rhetoric class.

Indeed. I have been hitting the bottle- metonymy, incidentally.