• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Science/Maths

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hate science and math! You're not the only one who doesn't go with that particular description.

I majored in English and History at University. And I want to be a lecturer eventually. So, many of my career descriptions were too technical for me, but there were a few I liked, like working in law or university academics.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm an INTJ and am a Biology major. I'm also interested in Philosophy, Theoretical Physics, Geology, Paleontology, History, and Linguistics.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm fucking bad at Math, I don't understand it. I generally pull low Bs in math at most. I'm good at discrete math though.

I also have absolutely NO interest in common lab sciences (physics, chemistry, bio, etc).

I think if I put my mind to it I could be a good scientist, but I just don't care enough to put forth the effort. Science requires too much formal planning, data recording, self-checking, proofing, etc. I HATE that stuff. If I want to do something, I will do it my own way and don't want to have to worry about standards, safe guards, writing up formal reports, etc.

I'm VERY into philosophy and computer programming / hardware though, as well as creative writing and anything that requires a good imagination.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I too am terrible at math and science for that matter. I'm much more interested in psychology, sociology, languages, music, and art. And I'm pretty decent when it comes to computers.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm, so far 14 positive declarations against math/science interests, and 12 positive declarations for it. And that's counting all NT's (so no SJs, NFs or otherwise).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...counting never was my strong sport.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Hmmm, so far 14 positive declarations against math/science interests, and 12 positive declaration for it. And that's counting all NT's (so no SJs, NFs or otherwise).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...counting never was my strong sport.

I would say it's even.

I know two confirmed ENTPs. The guy has trouble grasping upper level math, and because of that is unable to go into robotics. The female is a whiz, and she's studying to be an aerospace engineer.

All NTs are not created equal.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
For some strange reason, I am actually better at higher level maths in comparison to medium-to-low. Perhaps it's because it requires less attention to detail and more conceptualization.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
For some strange reason, I am actually better at higher level maths in comparison to medium-to-low. Perhaps it's because it requires less attention to detail and more conceptualization.

It's too bad that most in similar situations won't be fortunate enough to make it far enough to find out.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7

My INTJ friend is like this too.

I'm a strong math student but am not as adept in many of the sciences- I tried chemistry in college and didn't do so hot..
The one thing I like about math is that there is no memorization involved.

I don't know which subjects ENTP's tend to excel the most.
However, I could see an Introvert more likely to go on to graduate school in math/science than an Extravert.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, me too. I was failing math at lower-secondary level because I didn't see the point in learning the quadratic equation and applying it 10-20 times in practice just so that I could pass the exam. I hated the mind-numbing practice. I found a passion in statistics and data modeling when I was about 18 - it made so much SENSE, and was actually useful. But I didn't major in it for other reasons.

I had to make the choice between artsy stuff and hard sciences at university, and the choice was clear to me because I was always going to work in a lab. I still do arts stuff outside of work, but just as a hobby. It wasn't practical to try to make a career with a psychology/philosophy/English/sociology degree, and I don't want to be an academic or teach.