• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mein Freund...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm back to disprove the theory that friendship is necessary for human life.

God forbid, I picked this up from a Wikipedia article, so therefore, I'm pretty pathetic, but in the long run, it saves money and you can't believe anything you read anyway. Anyway, here's a quote on the topic of friendship:

In the sequence of the emotional development of the individual, friendships come after parental bonding and before the pair bonding engaged in at the approach of maturity. In the intervening period between the end of early childhood and the onset of full adulthood, friendships are often the most important relationships in the emotional life of the adolescent, and are often more intense than relationships later in life. However making friends seems to trouble lots of people; having no friends can be emotionally damaging in some cases. Sometimes going years without a single friend can lead to suicide.​

It is interesting to note how it is quoted that a lack of close friends can lead to suicide, but I am a strong-willed individual here to disprove this ridiculous theory as follows.

The other day, I stood at the bus stop. Next to me stood a person about my age. He said "Hi," so I said "Hi" back. But why don't people keep it at the "Hi" level? Why do people always try to take the conversation to a deeper level? This person began talking about average small-talk; the weather, television, life. I make no secret that I don't wish to be bothered with frivolous small talk. However, I took it in a passive-aggressive way. I looked calm on the outside, but on the inside, I was a 4th of July fireworks show with no room to expand.

The annoyance I experience from friendly associations fuels my rage. It fuels my desire to lash out. Thank goodness for Rockstar Games and the Grand Theft Auto series. What prevented me from lashing out? As much as I fantasized about harming the person in the worst ways possible so that he'd just shut up, I just couldn't and I don't know why. Perhaps I didn't want to make a scene and face a lawsuit or jail time, so I just took it. So there remained my inner rage, like a pot of boiling water with the lid cemented on top.

But ask yourself, what is more unhealthy? A lack of close confidants or someone trying to be friendly but in the end being little more a bug that the law says you're not allowed to squash? I can't imagine inner rage due to this can lead to a happy long life, either. When I am confronted with interactions like this, the only thing I want to do is set myself on fire. Hence, it is friendship and not the lack thereof that leads me to become suicidal.

The one thing that would make me happy is to go on a nice, long murderous rampage in the streets. That is probably the most effective way of expressing feeling. To me, that is no different than expression with a paint brush. But unfortunately, certain forms of artistic expression are illegal.

If friendship is considered the happiest and most fully human of loves, as C.S. Lewis once put it, then I guess I'm a little more than human.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, people have survived on deserted islands, so it's definately possible to survive without friends. Also, if interaction with other people doesn't give you any pleasure, then there's not really much point in it. I've gone several weeks at a time without speaking to another person before, and I don't feel that I miss much as a result. However, I find that I prefer to have other people to share my ideas and feelings with, and it's a little less boring. I wouldn't say that I need other people to be happy, but I certainly want a few of them in my life. How about you?

But honestly, I do find it stressful to interact with others at times. For me, it's mostly that they intimidate me if I don't like them, or that I'm afraid of offending them if I do, so it's kind of a lose-lose situation. Being alone for a while is actually refreshing, allows me to dream about all the things I want but can't have, and just escape reality. You actually have the courage to feel angry with the person, which is more than I do. You avoid them because they annoy you, I avoid them because they stress me out and frighten me. Sometimes, they even try to harm me. If I had an unlimited supply of books, electricity, computer equipment, and skill with robots, I might be happier if I were the only person around, and could create a society of robots that ran everything the way I wanted them to.

They don't call me an Introvert for nothing, you know?