• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Thinking vs Feeling...a false dichotomy?

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Then define the difference between objective evidence and personal experience.
That's why I was using the psychological journal example. They have defined requirements much better than I can (although some requirements are a little bureaucratical).
I thought, for example, that observing trends among categories of people (and recursively using the trends themselves to categorize further people) can be objective.
What sort of trends are you talking about? I could say the example you used isn't valid because my ISTJ coach has shown up late plenty of times. On the other hand all of the INTPs I know rarely show up late. The ISTJ is way more organized than the INTPs as a whole, but in my personal experience the judger will show up late more often. See the problem. If employers start hiring based on MBTI to predict future job performance the judgers will always win. When in fact there is only a mild correlation between the two.
While personal experience, as I think you might understand it, would be something like "I've never been right about anything, so it's likely I won't be right in the future."
Personal experience doesn't usually use such words as randomized, mean and standard deviation, if you're getting my drift.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's why I was using the psychological journal example. They have defined requirements much better than I can (although some requirements are a little bureaucratical).
They would, I assume, require that which can't ever be provided by type study, or at least large psychological studies certainly beyond by means. Not that I have any interest in jumping through the hoops when I can already tell you what's what, then move on to another idea without any effort.

What sort of trends are you talking about? I could say the example you used isn't valid because my ISTJ coach has shown up late plenty of times. On the other hand all of the INTPs I know rarely show up late. The ISTJ is way more organized than the INTPs as a whole, but in my personal experience the judger will show up late more often. See the problem.
Examples don't invalidate the trend; That's where you're mistaken. The reason I use the gambling "metaphor" is to illustrate likelyhood. Individual accounts of ISTJs showing up late are insignificant compared to the general punctuality of those such typed. I know this, yet I can't prove it, for the above reasons provided. This is the state of things, and if you have a problem dealing with such theoretical trends, 16-type isn't for you.
If employers start hiring based on MBTI to predict future job performance the judgers will always win. When in fact there is only a mild correlation between the two.
Only if they practice it inappropriately, by using too superficial stereotypes. For example, perceivers are generally more innovative if assigned an appropriate task, and take pride in that.

Personal experience doesn't usually use such words as randomized, mean and standard deviation, if you're getting my drift.
You'd prefer elitist jargon? I'd rather use phrasing most people can get the jist of. Pure academians are a stodgy, boring bunch.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Examples don't invalidate the trend; That's where you're mistaken. The reason I use the gambling "metaphor" is to illustrate likelyhood. Individual accounts of ISTJs showing up late are insignificant compared to the general punctuality of those such typed. I know this, yet I can't prove it, for the above reasons provided. This is the state of things, and if you have a problem dealing with such theoretical trends, 16-type isn't for you.

Using the 16 types isn't invalid, just not predictive in a statistically significant way. There's a large difference between the two. Of course examples don't invalidate trends, all you have are individual accounts (read examples).

In my experience heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects doing repeated experiments. Is there a general trend? Yes. Is there useful predictive accuracy to that experience? No. There's a reason standards exist.

I'm not saying that MBTI is wrong. Intuitively I believe it has a lot of things right. It just was never designed to predict future actions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Using the 16 types isn't invalid, just not predictive in a statistically significant way. There's a large difference between the two. Of course examples don't invalidate trends, all you have are individual accounts (read examples).
The greater the sample size, and the more consistent the reports, the greater the reliability of the results. To illustrate: A sample size of 100 and a consistency of 95/100 in any given trend is plenty for me to conclude it's valid unless a more impactful counter is introduced later.
In my experience heavy objects fall faster than lighter objects doing repeated experiments. Is there a general trend? Yes. Is there useful predictive accuracy to that experience? No. There's a reason standards exist.
What the hell kind of experiments were those? I know what you're getting at, that a 1Kg lead ball falls faster than a feather on Earth, but a couch doesn't fall faster than the lead ball, so it's a poor analogy. It's not something which shows itself true almost all the time with a variety of conditions.

I'm not saying that MBTI is wrong. Intuitively I believe it has a lot of things right. It just was never designed to predict future actions.
The purpose of its creation is completely irrelevant. The matter of concern is its actual usefulness. I would imagine you know this, so why introduce the issue?

redacted

When you take a proverbial shotgun to whatever I consider to be perfectly rational, I'd have to be an entirely different person not to.

You called my self-analysis incorrect, which you have no basis for. That kind of statement cannot be defended against, and if you take that stance, it's an excuse to throw out the content of any typology post anyone makes. It's also pointlessly condescending and has very little chance of furthering any discussion.

I'm quite sure I'm more comfortable with Thinking than Feeling, and I certainly have more Thinking ability compared to average than Feeling ability. I am literally a math/logic genius, so unless I am even more of a Feeling genius, it seems clear that I'm better with Thinking than Feeling.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm quite sure I'm more comfortable with Thinking than Feeling, and I certainly have more Thinking ability compared to average than Feeling ability. I am literally a math/logic genius, so unless I am even more of a Feeling genius, it seems clear that I'm better with Thinking than Feeling.
There you go again, misinterpreting the concept. Didn't I mention in this thread that I've known highly intelligent F-types? The question is one of habitual use. An ENFP can score over 150 on an IQ test, which doesn't measure aptitude of emotion, and yet somehow they're still more concerned with ENFP stuff than INTP stuff.

redacted

There you go again, misinterpreting the concept. Didn't I mention in this thread that I've known highly intelligent F-types? The question is one of habitual use. An ENFP can score over 150 on an IQ test, which doesn't measure aptitude of emotion, and yet somehow they're still more concerned with ENFP stuff than INTP stuff.

I'm not misinterpreting the concept. I was giving an example of my Thinking ability, which you keep implying I lack. I am more concerned with logic than value judgments. I don't think I necessarily would be like this if I was raised in a more healthy way, but I learned early on to suppress value judgments and turn everything into logic problems since my value judgments were always negatively reinforced (I also have an INTP father, and I modeled a lot of my coping mechanisms on his). Anyhow, I would love to defer to Feeling a lot more, but I cannot, as I have trained myself to consciously logically analyze everything for my entire life.

I know that I use the Thinking function more than the Feeling function. It's possible that my dominant Intuition could be perceived by you as Feeling, but it's not.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I know that I use the Thinking function more than the Feeling function. It's possible that my dominant Intuition could be perceived by you as Feeling, but it's not.
On the one hand you say "Throw out function order," and on the other hand you say "Dominant Intuition." I assume this is because you've either tested as Ni dominant or have self-assessed as Ni dominant, the results of which I would disagree with in either case.

On the third hand, you telling me "I use Thinking more than Feeling/I am a genius." just doesn't convince me that it's true.

redacted

On the one hand you say "Throw out function order," and on the other hand you say "Dominant Intuition." I assume this is because you've either tested as Ni dominant or have self-assessed as Ni dominant, the results of which I would disagree with in either case.

If there is no dominant function, MBTI is completely pointless. I don't think function order should be throw out, I just think that a prescribed order for each type should be throw out. My whole point is that two people of the same MBTI type can have differently distributed functions. Not that they can't have an order of functions at all...that doesn't even make any sense.

On the third hand, you telling me "I use Thinking more than Feeling/I am a genius." just doesn't convince me that it's true.

Again, your arguing style is ludicrous. You make these claims that cannot be defended against and don't contribute to the discussion at all.

If you hadn't said "I think that's most likely the result of incorrect self-assessment" we wouldn't be having this conversation. Seriously, why would you claim to know my function order better than I do? I clearly have orders of magnitude more information than you do about myself.

Stop publicly dismissing my posts. If you had a useful claim, that would be one thing, but you certainly don't in this case. Either 1) You wanted to make my post look silly (for no reason) without contributing anything to this discussion or 2) You were trying to provoke me into replying. It seems probable that you were just provoking me.

This forum is about discussion, not trying to validate yourself by belittling others. Must be a sad life you lead.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
If there is no dominant function, MBTI is completely pointless.
Why? There's no reason it should be. Those who receive the proper result based on the four pref's have been categorized, and the only necessary next step is to analyze them. We don't have to apply functions to their psyches, we can analyze their behavior. The observable is all that matters in some schools of thought.

I don't think function order should be throw out, I just think that a prescribed order for each type should be throw out. My whole point is that two people of the same MBTI type can have differently distributed functions. Not that they can't have an order of functions at all...that doesn't even make any sense.
That seems self contradictory to me as a whole.

Again, your arguing style is ludicrous. You make these claims that cannot be defended against and don't contribute to the discussion at all.
Idea vs. idea, fair play.

If you hadn't said "I think that's most likely the result of incorrect self-assessment" we wouldn't be having this conversation. Seriously, why would you claim to know my function order better than I do? I clearly have orders of magnitude more information than you do about myself.
If my claim is so laughable, why take it seriously? Of course, I don't personally think it is.

Stop publicly dismissing my posts. If you had a useful claim, that would be one thing, but you certainly don't in this case. Either 1) You wanted to make my post look silly (for no reason) without contributing anything to this discussion or 2) You were trying to provoke me into replying. It seems probable that you were just provoking me.
No, it's just that when I think you or anyone is wrong, I think it better to provide an argument, for the sake of the world. A blog is better suited to unanswerable rhetoric than a message board, which is better suited to dialog.

This forum is about discussion, not trying to validate yourself by belittling others. Must be a sad life you lead.
My life is so sad, yet you'd refuse me my one satisfaction gained from belittling you! How cruel. *bawww*

redacted

Why? There's no reason it should be. Those who receive the proper result based on the four pref's have been categorized, and the only necessary next step is to analyze them. We don't have to apply functions to their psyches, we can analyze their behavior. The observable is all that matters in some schools of thought.

I agree that the observable is all that matters (it's the only information we have anyway).

You seem to have a different definition of MBTI than I do anyway, so we're gonna keep missing unless we're defining our terms (this is a problem throughout this forum, unfortunately).

Anyway, the reason I responded to your first post was that with the four dichotomies perspective, I don't fit the result I get. I'm more I than E (correct), more N than S (correct), more T than F (a problem...), and more J than P (correct). The problem here is that I don't identify with the INTJ description. INFJ is a better fit even though I use Thinking more than Feeling.

According to the data I've observed (which is all I have to go on, obviously), I trust logic more than value judgments. In fact, I don't trust my value judgments much at all, unless I can reason them out and fit them into my framework.

I don't see how it makes any sense for you to claim to know that I use Feeling more than Thinking, as you obviously have much less data than I do. I get that you are defending the system -- it's understandable (Si).

If you take the function perspective, this whole thing can be explained like this: my Thinking is introverted and my Feeling is extroverted. Even if I'm Ni>Ti>Fe, my Feeling function is still my first extroverted function, which may be what you're seeing. Or you may be seeing my Intuition and calling it Feeling (which is actually what I think is the case). Many Ti dominants have problems understanding Intuition dominants. Intuition is definitely irrational, and it is my dominant function. In that sense, I do rely more on an irrational function than my Thinking function. But I don't rely on Feeling more than Thinking (Feeling is rational, anyway). You may be confusing emotion and Feeling. Feeling is defined as conscious value judgments. Emotion is actually more in the realm of perceiving functions.

Also, I'm not the only person I know that this applies to. I know another INFJ that seems to use Thinking more than Feeling, and I know an ISTJ (my mother) that definitely uses Feeling more than Thinking. This is why I'm suggesting that a prescribed function order should be thrown out. At least from the function theory perspective, it's possible for auxiliary and tertiary functions to be switched around.

That seems self contradictory to me as a whole.

I may have explained it better above. If not, please explain why this is contradictory. It's possible I assumed you would make an intuitive leap and left out a step of reasoning.

Idea vs. idea, fair play.

It's fair play when it's discussion. It's not fair play when it's dismissal.

If my claim is so laughable, why take it seriously? Of course, I don't personally think it is.

I take it as an attack -- you can't expect me not to defend myself. In fact, I'm sure you DID expect me to defend myself.

No, it's just that when I think you or anyone is wrong, I think it better to provide an argument, for the sake of the world. A blog is better suited to unanswerable rhetoric than a message board, which is better suited to dialog.

Hm, I would say the same thing to you. I don't see what you would call "unanswerable rhetoric" in my first post -- care to quote what you're talking about?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I agree that the observable is all that matters (it's the only information we have anyway).

You seem to have a different definition of MBTI than I do anyway, so we're gonna keep missing unless we're defining our terms (this is a problem throughout this forum, unfortunately).

Anyway, the reason I responded to your first post was that with the four dichotomies perspective, I don't fit the result I get. I'm more I than E (correct), more N than S (correct), more T than F (a problem...), and more J than P (correct). The problem here is that I don't identify with the INTJ description. INFJ is a better fit even though I use Thinking more than Feeling.
So you test incorrectly, that's not uncommon. Analysis is best anyway, and we both agree you're INFJ.

According to the data I've observed (which is all I have to go on, obviously), I trust logic more than value judgments. In fact, I don't trust my value judgments much at all, unless I can reason them out and fit them into my framework. I don't see how it makes any sense for you to claim to know that I use Feeling more than Thinking, as you obviously have much less data than I do.
I happen to think you rely on F more often as a driver, and trust it, using T to support F notions, whereas a T has habitually less F drive, and more natural T processing. If you disagree, and you seem to, that's life.

I get that you are defending the system -- it's understandable (Si).
I defend nothing which I don't understand and agree with. I don't defend it because it's an "old standard" by any means. I've openly dismissed Myers' theory and others countless times.

If you take the function perspective, this whole thing can be explained like this: my Thinking is introverted and my Feeling is extroverted. Even if I'm Ni>Ti>Fe, my Feeling function is still my first extroverted function, which may be what you're seeing. Or you may be seeing my Intuition and calling it Feeling.
They're both there, so I think I'm seeing both.

Also, I'm not the only person I know that this applies to. I know another INFJ that seems to use Thinking more than Feeling, and I know an ISTJ (my mother) that definitely uses Feeling more than Thinking. This is why I'm suggesting that a prescribed function order should be thrown out. At least from the function theory perspective, it's possible for auxiliary and tertiary functions to be switched around.
It's hard to say from here, but I would probably disagree with you in saying an ISTJ uses more F than T. What I would propose, hypothetically, is that emotions have led the user into uncertain territory, but T is still trusted more. I've seen some "troubled" ISTJs before, and it's a barrel of monkeys.

I may have explained it better above. If not, please explain why this is contradictory. It's possible I assumed you would make an intuitive leap and left out a step of reasoning.
To have one's cake and eat it too, as they say? Either function application to people is necessary or not. I don't think it's necessary, and I think the most common theories are incorrect, but I think mine stands to reason--That still doesn't make it necessary. It's an addition.

It's fair play when it's discussion. It's not fair play when it's dismissal.
I dismiss the above as an opinion I disagree with.
I take it as an attack -- you can't expect me not to defend myself. In fact, I'm sure you DID expect me to defend myself.
I was hoping you wouldn't.

Hm, I would say the same thing to you. I don't see what you would call "unanswerable rhetoric" in my first post -- care to quote what you're talking about?
I mean if you don't want it "dismissed," as you put it, a blog's better. I put up with plenty of dismissal myself, because it comes with the territory.

redacted

So you test incorrectly, that's not uncommon. Analysis is best anyway, and we both agree you're INFJ.

Yes.

I happen to think you rely on F more often as a driver, and trust it, using T to support F notions, whereas a T has habitually less F drive, and more natural T processing. If you disagree, and you seem to, that's life.

How are you defining Feeling? (I actually made an edit to my post after you pressed quote.)

I think that I use an irrational function more than I use Thinking. That would be Intuition. Perceiving is defined as any processing that is not conscious. Emotion falls in the realm of Perceiving. The emotions that you see in me are attributable much more to Ni than Fe. When it comes to conscious processing, though, I use Thinking more than Feeling (Thinking = internal consistency of concepts, Feeling = value judgments of concepts, such as "that concept is bad" or that concept is "good" or "cool" or "evil" or whatever). I do acknowledge that I am sometimes emotional. But emotion is not Feeling. I consciously think things like "x makes sense" or "x doesn't make sense" much more than things like "x is scary" or "x is good". That doesn't at all mean I'm not emotional, it just means that I don't rely on value judgments as much as true/false judgments.

I defend nothing which I don't understand and agree with. I don't defend it because it's an "old standard" by any means. I've openly dismissed Myers' theory and others countless times.

K.

They're both there, so I think I'm seeing both.

I can't think of that much I say on this forum to the effect of "that stuff is evil" or "that stuff is good". I usually talk about whether things make sense or not, or flaws in theories.

My writing style is probably not incredibly clear, though. Certainly not as clear as Thinking dominants. I assume people will make some of the same intuitive leaps (inductive reasoning, whatever you want to call it) that I make, and probably leave certain small steps out of my reasoning. At least on this forum, I'm commonly misunderstood by Thinking dominants because they're looking for step by step deductions. I sometimes rely more on induction than they are comfortable with.

It's hard to say from here, but I would probably disagree with you in saying an ISTJ uses more F than T. What I would propose, hypothetically, is that emotions have led the user into uncertain territory, but T is still trusted more. I've seen some "troubled" ISTJs before, and it's a barrel of monkeys.

My mom is quite crazy. She does trust her Te a lot, but Fi takes over more often because she's incredibly emotionally unstable (Borderline Personality Disorder in my opinion). She talks about "good" and "bad" and such all the time when she's not calm (which is probably more often than when she is calm). So I guess she's not the best example because she's got some non-normative personality issues.

To have one's cake and eat it too, as they say? Either function application to people is necessary or not. I don't think it's necessary, and I think the most common theories are incorrect, but I think mine stands to reason--That still doesn't make it necessary. It's an addition.

Did I use the word necessary? If so, that was probably a bad word to use. None of this stuff is necessary. I personally feel more comfortable using functions than using four letter codes because I think it allows for a bit more fluidity. As long as whatever system you're using is internally consistent, it shouldn't matter much.

I mean if you don't want it "dismissed," as you put it, a blog's better. I put up with plenty of dismissal myself, because it comes with the territory.

Maybe we're using the word "dismissal" differently. What I mean is that it seems you were attacking my reputation as a way to throw out my argument as opposed to questioning the premises of my argument or the logical steps. I have no problem with people arguing with me -- that's the reason I come on this forum anyway, to get feedback on my ideas and hopefully see ideas I haven't thought of myself. I'd appreciate polite disagreement with a list of reasons for why you disagree as opposed to just calling me wrong.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Jung calls F & T conscious, but I'm not so sure, especially with F. I don't use that angle at all, normally, in order to skirt the issue.

I define Feeling as the emotional processing of information, resulting in judgments, one example being "This is morally right." It can be separated from Thinking, the logic engine, because T is not concerned with end states, it only provides impersonal conclusions. What occupies more concentration would decide a preference. Abstractly, the person who makes 1000 internal F judgments per day and 600 T judgments is F.

redacted

Jung calls F & T conscious, but I'm not so sure, especially with F. I don't use that angle at all, normally, in order to skirt the issue.

I define Feeling as the emotional processing of information, resulting in judgments, one example being "This is morally right." It can be separated from Thinking, the logic engine, because T is not concerned with end states, it only provides impersonal conclusions. What occupies more concentration would decide a preference. Abstractly, the person who makes 1000 internal F judgments per day and 600 T judgments is F.

Well that's why we're disagreeing. You are saying Feeling results in judgments, I'm saying Feeling IS the judgments. According to your definition, I probably use F more than T. According to mine, I use T more than F. I think mine falls more in line with Jung's, but honestly it doesn't matter. Semantics.

This exchange didn't have to be so adversarial.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well that's why we're disagreeing. You are saying Feeling results in judgments, I'm saying Feeling IS the judgments. According to your definition, I probably use F more than T. According to mine, I use T more than F. I think mine falls more in line with Jung's, but honestly it doesn't matter. Semantics.
Ah, I assume you're thinking along the lines of Ni-Fe still. Fe is a bad way to describe the INFJ (below). Fi-Ne a la Socionics is a better fit (Though I have to say "still flawed") going by Jung's writing.

"Feeling in the extraverted attitude is orientated by objective data, i.e. the object is the indispensable determinant of the kind of feeling. It agrees with objective values. If one has always known feeling as a subjective fact, the nature of extraverted feeling will not immediately be understood, since it has freed itself as fully as possible from the subjective factor, and has, instead, become wholly subordinated to the influence of the object. Even where it seems to show a certain independence of the quality of the concrete object, it is none the less under the spell of. traditional or generally valid standards of some sort. I may feel constrained, for instance, to use the predicate 'beautiful' or 'good', not because I find the object 'beautiful' or 'good' from my own subjective feeling, but because it is fitting and politic so to do; and fitting it certainly is, inasmuch as a contrary opinion would disturb the general feeling situation. A feeling-judgment such as this is in no way a simulation or a lie -- it is merely an act of accommodation. A picture, for instance, may be termed beautiful, because a picture that is hung in a drawing-room and bearing a well-known signature is generally assumed to be beautiful, or because the predicate 'ugly' might offend the family of the fortunate possessor, or because there is a benevolent intention on the part of the visitor to create a pleasant feeling-atmosphere, to which end everything must be felt as agreeable. Such feelings are governed by the standard of the objective determinants. As such they are genuine, and represent the total visible feeling-function.
In precisely the same way as extraverted thinking strives to rid itself of subjective influences, extraverted feeling has also to undergo a certain process of differentiation, before it is finally denuded of every subjective [p. 447] trimming. The valuations resulting from the act of feeling either correspond directly with objective values or at least chime in with certain traditional and generally known standards of value. This kind of feeling is very largely responsible for the fact that so many people flock to the theatre, to concerts, or to Church, and what is more, with correctly adjusted positive feelings. Fashions, too, owe their existence to it, and, what is far more valuable, the whole positive and wide-spread support of social, philanthropic, and such like cultural enterprises. In such matters, extraverted feeling proves itself a creative factor. Without this feeling, for instance, a beautiful and harmonious sociability would be unthinkable. So far extraverted feeling is just as beneficent and rationally effective as extraverted thinking. But this salutary effect is lost as soon as the object gains an exaggerated influence. For, when this happens, extraverted feeling draws the personality too much into the object, i.e. the object assimilates the person, whereupon the personal character of the feeling, which constitutes its principal charm, is lost. Feeling then becomes cold, material, untrustworthy. It betrays a secret aim, or at least arouses the suspicion of it in an impartial observer. No longer does it make that welcome and refreshing impression the invariable accompaniment of genuine feeling; instead, one scents a pose or affectation, although the egocentric motive may be entirely unconscious.
Such overstressed, extraverted feeling certainly fulfils æsthetic expectations, but no longer does it speak to the heart; it merely appeals to the senses, or -- worse still -- to the reason. Doubtless it can provide æsthetic padding for a situation, but there it stops, and beyond that its effect is nil. It has become sterile. Should this process go further, a strangely contradictory dissociation of feeling develops; every object is seized upon with feeling- [p. 448] valuations, and numerous relationships are made which are inherently and mutually incompatible. Since such aberrations would be quite impossible if a sufficiently emphasized subject were present, the last vestige of a real personal standpoint also becomes suppressed. The subject becomes so swallowed up in individual feeling processes that to the observer it seems as though there were no longer a subject of feeling but merely a feeling process. In such a condition feeling has entirely forfeited its original human warmth, it gives an impression of pose, inconstancy, unreliability, and in the worst cases appears definitely hysterical."

redacted

I'm confused as to what you mean. With Jung's functions, do you think I'm more Ni/Fe or Fi/Ne?

Out of Jung's functions, I think I fit most with Ni, 2nd most with Ti, and 3rd most with Fe. But I definitely think I use Fe a lot -- it's my first extroverted function, like I said before. So any time I'm doing object-oriented processing, it's my first function.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm confused as to what you mean. With Jung's functions, do you think I'm more Ni/Fe or Fi/Ne?

Out of Jung's functions, I think I fit most with Ni, 2nd most with Ti, and 3rd most with Fe. But I definitely think I use Fe a lot -- it's my first extroverted function, like I said before. So any time I'm doing object-oriented processing, it's my first function.
They were never meant to be applied rigidly. I'd say Fi-Ne would be more accurate than anything else for the INFJ, if only using them as written.

redacted

They were never meant to be applied rigidly. I'd say Fi-Ne would be more accurate than anything else for the INFJ, if only using them as written.

Hm. This is a definitional difference, then.

I define MBTI types by the most used functions. An INJ, by my definition, is someone who uses Ni more than any other function. An INFJ prefers Fe/Ti (in any order) to Te/Fi. MBTI, in this perspective, is merely a code for dominant function + direction of the aux. and tertiary. So, based on the way I use the letters, if I used Fi most often, I would be an IFP.

So if you used my system, you would call me an INFP.

How do you use your system, then? Each letter in the code is a dichotomy?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hm. This is a definitional difference, then.

I define MBTI types by the most used functions. An INJ, by my definition, is someone who uses Ni more than any other function. An INFJ prefers Fe/Ti (in any order) to Te/Fi. MBTI, in this perspective, is merely a code for dominant function + direction of the aux. and tertiary. So, based on the way I use the letters, if I used Fi most often, I would be an IFP.

So if you used my system, you would call me an INFP.

How do you use your system, then? Each letter in the code is a dichotomy?
P means S or N leads, J means T or F leads.

INFJ is Feeling/Intuition, and Introverted.

(That's how Socionics functions work too, aside from the fact that orientation is included, so it's Fi-Ne.)