• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Addiction

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Make it go away! :cheese:

It seems to be a sick cycle. I am not really sure how to end it. Any suggestions?

My crazy curiousity draws me in, but my enthusiasm and desire to know (sometimes!) seems to turn INTP off from sharing with me. I want to be trusted. I hold what the INTP says with highest regard for it is so rarely shared. I value the thoughts so much that I want to hear more of them, but I know I cannot force sharing. Golly, you guys are just so interesting!!!

I guess my other question would be... does this ever work out well? Can ENFP and INTP be good friends? What is it like? Does it just have to do with time because only over time can trust be established?

My INTP roommate told me that he thinks I am hyper. At first, I did not agree with this word, but once he defined it, I think I agree. He said, "I have never had a roommate who will just come into my room and talk. You have a lot of energy. It is not a bad thing." It seems that he is not anti me. I really think if he hated me, he would just not hang out with me ever. But, sometimes I do wonder because he is difficult to read... and he seems to like being that way... at least for now.

And my other question is... are INTPs happy not sharing or do you guys want to? It is hard for me, but I try to restrict myself from overwheming. I provide opportunities for sharing, but do not force it. Do you like it when people take an interest in you? Or would you rather not be asked at all? Do you like being mysterious?

See...

Addiction.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My INTP roommate told me that he thinks I am hyper. At first, I did not agree with this word, but once he defined it, I think I agree. He said, "I have never had a roommate who will just come into my room and talk. You have a lot of energy. It is not a bad thing." It seems that he is not anti me. I really think if he hated me, he would just not hang out with me ever. But, sometimes I do wonder because he is difficult to read... and he seems to like being that way... at least for now.

If any INTP told you this, you're in. Stop worrying.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
completely understand where you're coming from. My experience has taught me to proceed with caution, and pace yourself. If at all possible, dangle interesting carrot in front of their noses. And then wait... I'm the first to admit though that this is not a failsafe procedure :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Another ENFP has fallen into our trap.

But when it comes to discussion about themselves, they'd rather talk about their ideas, since that's really how we identify ourselves. We're very eager to share our ideas about things, however if you ask us to share personal details about ourselves I can see us becoming generally uneasy, since it's a subject we don't really pay any attention to.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:devil: The more ENF's who fall into our trap, the more prosperous our hive :D

See? This is why I won't go into their den, but wait for them to come out :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Ask me to help solve a problem. Tell me how complex it is, and how you just don't get it.

Coffee is awesome too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ask me to help solve a problem. Tell me how complex it is, and how you just don't get it.

Coffee is awesome too.

*substitutes carrot for coffee and goes fishing*

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
We're very eager to share our ideas about things, however if you ask us to share personal details about ourselves I can see us becoming generally uneasy, since it's a subject we don't really pay any attention to.

Yeah, I noticed the switch, but I often confuse the two... personal details and ideas. We get very deep very quickly, so I think I blurted out something like, "Pick a superficial topic and I can talk about it instead." I was of course trying to make the situation less awkward for him and to take the pressure off... haha.

We did change the subject, but I found that we did not stay there very long. And he joked about how "yeah, this is a really superficial topic" when we were talking about seeking truth or something.

Thing is, if we could stay on those shallower topics with ease, I would almost prefer it because it feels safer to me. It gets pretty intense whether I force it (which doesn't really happen) or not and I don't know how to stop it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, I noticed the switch, but I often confuse the two... personal details and ideas. We get very deep very quickly, so I think I blurted out something like, "Pick a superficial topic and I can talk about it instead." I was of course trying to make the situation less awkward for him and to take the pressure off... haha.

This is definitely likely to make the situation awkward. We are uneasy when it comes to providing ideas or setting the course of an exchange. I feel that it becomes a burden to me in order to find a topic that you will find pleasing to talk about as well, will make me a tad uncomfortable and unsure of myself, and would much rather you offer the topic. Also, what is your example of a superficial topic? I typically don't mind discussing any topic as long as I think you will enjoy what I have to say.

Thing is, if we could stay on those shallower topics with ease, I would almost prefer it because it feels safer to me. It gets pretty intense whether I force it (which doesn't really happen) or not and I don't know how to stop it.

Once again, the definition of your superficial topic would help. Is it about personal preferences in clothing, music or entertainment? Latest celebrity gossip? You could be inadvertently pushing a topic he really dislikes so it makes sense he would shut down.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Oh, it did make it awkward, but I fixed it. HA! I started talking about the Eagles making the playoffs and suddenly we were golden.

It's just odd to me how much I value what he says. I don't know if it's because he places a high value what he says (so I see that and follow in suit) or if it's something else. Or maybe I am just not used to someone being so careful with what they share, so I feel special that he chooses to share with me. It's kind of nice, even though it can be frustrating (feeling like the vulnerable one most of the time).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh i see...the addiction is yours with the intp? silly girl.

i find that i just want to listen to them talk and i don't really care what they're talking about...because whatever it is...the perspective will be interesting....i've got issues too...haha :)

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to ask ENFPs if they think they take well to unadulterated evaluation (read : critical assessments = 'criticism') ?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh, it did make it awkward, but I fixed it. HA! I started talking about the Eagles making the playoffs and suddenly we were golden.

Boo! I'm a Giants fan. And completely terrified of facing you in the playoffs. I hope you get knocked off.

It's just odd to me how much I value what he says. I don't know if it's because he places a high value what he says (so I see that and follow in suit) or if it's something else. Or maybe I am just not used to someone being so careful with what they share, so I feel special that he chooses to share with me. It's kind of nice, even though it can be frustrating (feeling like the vulnerable one most of the time).

This is very important, and I think very insightful Like I said, we love our ideas. We think our ideas make up so much of ourselves. When we share our ideas, we are sharing something that we have invested considerable energy, time, and thought in creating, molding, perfecting, reflecting, and harboring them. Our ideas, and even more importantly, their acceptance and ability to interest and intrigue others is something we love. If he shares his ideas with you, it is a great compliment to you.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'd like to ask ENFPs if they think they take well to unadulterated evaluation (read : critical assessments = 'criticism') ?

Of course not, but I pretend to because I know oversensitivity irks you so. Can't fool the INTP though. You guys just know. "Aww look. You are offended. So very sad sipping your soda."

I was actually thinking about that today. I think I may just accept the criticism from now on and admit defeat. Truly, I have been DEEPLY WOUNDED by your judgments of me. Babam. And then, bounce back and laugh at myself for being so ridiculous.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

are you asking if enfp's like criticism? or do we think you do?

because...no...and no

edit...i can just speak for myself but...NO! :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No we don't take well to it. But we try ;)