• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do Ps survive in the working world?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Given that the business and academic world is strongly J oriented, how do you as P survive in it? Some answers from >80% P would be good.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
how do you guys have so many posts?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I was too lazy to figure out my exact percentage.
Well you only need to know the ball park figure, my using tenths just makes sure everyone instantly knows everything about me from viewing the percentages. I don't even have to meet them (Thank Christ!).

Hopefully soon, I'll develop a test which will give you the result to the 17th decimal place. Of course, the test will be longer than the Encyclopedia Britannica, but there's a bonus: On the last page, it tells you what color the sky is.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm 77% P and I admit it isn't easy. Let's say I use other skills to survive mostly..

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
100% here, I'm a mess. I never work or study or anything, still a student (business school).
So far I sweet talked myself out of every situation.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Euhm..when I actively think about it, I guess I do something that's often considered a negative thing...

I guess I just get to know a lot of people. And I do a lot of favors as I enjoy helping people...and they in turn sometimes feel the need to do the same for me. I'm also quite good at asking for help without actually asking for it. Again, I don't do this consciously. I help people coz I like doing that, not coz then 'they'll owe me', and when I'm not sure how to handle a situation it's usually written on my face and, well..often, guys tend to pick up on it and help me.

Also, P itself helps as well. Because I'm a high P, I'll go with the flow and jump on the opportunities that pass by and adapt my plan to them. And something always comes a long, which you can turn into something productive in the spurr of the moment. When I have a need for something, I can be surprisingly inventive and unconventional in getting a working solution. Also, I tend not to be too picky on what is good enough, allowing the room to find a solution, even if it isn't as pretty as it should be.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
P you don't need to be humble, share your success secrets hehe.
We eat babies in satanic ritual sacrifices on every third friday.

questions anybody?

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Barely?

ESTPs and perhaps ENTPs commonly survive by being driven an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to have an impact.
ISTPs and sometimes ISFPs can perhaps survive being happy entering a intimate "flow" relationship with whatever their tool/task is.

For the others...

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well I'm not working at the moment but when I was I survived by knowing that my paycheque was dependent on my working.

The only time I cracked was whenever I was promoted over people, being in the lead puts pressure on me and I crack and leave and go looking for a lesser paid job just so that I don't have to be in charge of anyone.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know. I think....I think I may be likable. And...that's probably what gets me by. That and I'm smart, good at seeing outside the box, good at seeing all sides of a situation, good at finding solutions, and I'm nice to people I don't know (so, pr I guess). Otherwise, I have a tendency to be lazy, to wait until the last minute, to improvise (again, wouldn't work except my IQ is pretty up there), and I'm *nearly always* late. luckily I've managed to cut it back to exactly-on-time-but-some-times-up-to-five-minutes-late. Which is way better than my elementary school days of being an hour late. Otherwise. Dunno. It may come to bite me in the a** when I need job references but this is my first professional job.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm about 70% P but I do J strongly while I'm learning. I choose to be very unstructured in my day to day life, but am very focused in getting the job done.

My desk is usually disorganised butI'm dyslexic so I need to have things out the way well before time in order to do corrections and editing.

I tend to be very unstructured in my approach which drives the S types at work nuts, but they know I get the job done and fast. I'm not an 11th hour type - but I do need the freedom to get on with the job in my own way. Fortunately I usually get more than the average freedom to do it my way.

I've taken great care to learn me trade so I know fast routes through the crap.

I know two other strong P reasonably well, one ENTP the other ENFP - one spends a lot of time dallying but does the job very well, the other is a desperate 11th hour dude but does it very well. Both can drive me nuts but I' comfortable that both will deliver very well.

What is intersting is that J types are accused of control freakery - yet P types get very controlling if you upset their apple carts.

Good topic

Lis

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My desk is usually disorganised butI'm dyslexic so I need to have things out the way well before time in order to do corrections and editing.

Observations unrelated with topic but sparked by post:
Almost all ENTPs I know think they could be or have been diagnosed with having either or both dyslexia and attention deficit.

Rant having nothing to do with thread or post:
I keep thinking they should not be considered personality disorders, but are simply normal aspects of some types of personalities.
I am revolted by the use of drugs for hyperactivity for example. I think this practice should be considered an assault on a person's individuality. Try to make them conform to normalizing behavior - such as academic performance - can sabotage the potential of a perfectly healthy individual.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Observations unrelated with topic but sparked by post:
Almost all ENTPs I know think they could be or have been diagnosed with having either or both dyslexia and attention deficit.

I was diagnosed at 4 1/2 and there is a long family history of dyslexia, for me I suspect my N type hates parrot fashion learning. I was hot housed in my final year of primary school 10/11 years old, where I was regressed back to 5 year old reading, taught phontically and fast forwarded up to the level I left primary school with.

I was always one of the brightest kids in the room but really bad at English, fortunately the Education system in Scotland had developed beyond English distroying all else. I was good at Maths except for bit of it where you had to decode the english to formulate the problem.

I am an avid reader, read much more than most people so I'm largely just considerd a bad speller. That said I'm powerfully unstructured which allows me to be hyper creative whiles still remaining acceptable in the work place.

I agree with you totally one shouldn't drug up ADD (which is easy to say as a non parnet). I worked in the US for a small while back in 2000 and was horrified by the supermarkets products heavily using colouring - there was flurecent drinks. The milk in the state I was working in was too white (they had done something to it - it has a shelf life far longer than fresh milk should have). It's little wonder that there are kids with attention problems if they are being chemically infused on a day to day basis.

Sorry off topic and soap boxing - someone shut me up!!!

Lis

PS Dyslexia is a learnign problem not a personality issue. Its a collection of learning problems to be exact, there is a massive range of problems encountered.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Rant having nothing to do with thread or post:
I keep thinking they should not be considered personality disorders, but are simply normal aspects of some types of personalities.
I am revolted by the use of drugs for hyperactivity for example. I think this practice should be considered an assault on a person's individuality. Try to make them conform to normalizing behavior - such as academic performance - can sabotage the potential of a perfectly healthy individual.

Response having to do with the rant that had little to do with the post (is that allowed even?):
What about INFPs? I'm one (I guess, used to think I was an infj, but apparently not) and I'm quite ADHD (more than ADD). As for meds, it may be an assault but I also think it's survival. Which would you suggest: have a zebra look like a zebra and get EATEN BY THE CHEETAH or have the zebra paint himself black and wear a cat mask? Huh? He's not a cat, but he's not going to end up as carrion either.
I took meds through most of high school, and now I take p-meds. 1. if I hadn't then I'm pretty sure that I would now be able to say that my angry ENFJ father would have beat the s*** out of me pretty regularly. So, now, I only have to deal with moderate ptsd rather than life-damaging ptsd. 2. as a personality I'm simply to 'sensitive' to environmental factors to be able to exist without some kind of filter between me and the world. And I get overwhelmed and then I get depressed and then I depersonalize. Meds act as that filter.
I guess, in a perfect world it would be lovely for people to accept me just as I am, but that's simply not going to happen often enough for me to make a life out of it, so for survivals sake I (and probably most other add/adhd/dyslexic people) need something to make us blend in. Some spray paint and a mask so to speak.

/thus endith my ranting response.

I think you find a lot more P types in the writing/web page design/design fields. Know several friends who still stay up late to finish or work on a project.

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was always one of the brightest kids in the room but really bad at English, fortunately the Education system in Scotland had developed beyond English distroying all else. I was good at Maths except for bit of it where you had to decode the english to formulate the problem.

That said I'm powerfully unstructured which allows me to be hyper creative whiles still remaining acceptable in the work place.

It's like hearing my ENTP best friend.

tinkerbell said:
It's little wonder that there are kids with attention problems if they are being chemically infused on a day to day basis.

Don't start me ranting on that one.

tinkerbell said:
PS Dyslexia is a learnign problem not a personality issue. Its a collection of learning problems to be exact, there is a massive range of problems encountered.

Thanks for making the distinction clear.

As for meds, it may be an assault but I also think it's survival. Which would you suggest: have a zebra look like a zebra and get EATEN BY THE CHEETAH or have the zebra paint himself black and wear a cat mask? Huh? He's not a cat, but he's not going to end up as carrion either.

So, now, I only have to deal with moderate ptsd rather than life-damaging ptsd. 2. as a personality I'm simply to 'sensitive' to environmental factors to be able to exist without some kind of filter between me and the world. And I get overwhelmed and then I get depressed and then I depersonalize. Meds act as that filter.

I guess, in a perfect world it would be lovely for people to accept me just as I am, but that's simply not going to happen often enough for me to make a life out of it, so for survivals sake I (and probably most other add/adhd/dyslexic people) need something to make us blend in. Some spray paint and a mask so to speak.

Yeah.

The civilizing process sucks.

Ideally:
  1. Paint the Zebra to protect it
  2. Find a haven where the zebra can be safe as a zebra
  3. Remove the paint

The above list answers the thread title's question too!

To nobody in particular, yet to everybody :hug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Given that the business and academic world is strongly J oriented, how do you as P survive in it? Some answers from >80% P would be good.

Hmm..I'm not sure of my percentages. A lot of my issues arise from trying to follow a tight schedule though.
I tried a day planner, but there was too much planning involved. It was really hard to follow and frustrating when I couldn't change my mind about what I was doing.

Now I don't even know how I get by. Just go with the flow, I guess, like the P's always do.