• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do Ps survive in the working world?

dga

MBTI Type
ENTP
Show up and on time.
WANT to do a good job.
If that doesn't work, marrying into money or selling plasma or drugs might be more your style.

But seriously, I don't understand people who are bad workers. You're f'in stuck there unless you quit, so if you won't quit then why don't you just DO it? And why can't you do it right? If you can't, you should be getting paid by goodwill industries to match and sort simple objects.

because historically the owners of factories have not been very fair to their employees, hence labor laws protecting workers to teh point where tehy can be lazy. If there was better profit sharing between mnagement and labor, peer pressure from within labor to weed out lazy anomalies.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
:hug:

I- plagued with neuroses, delusions
N- superiority complex based on nothing
T- afraid to embrace life
P- incompetent

:cheers:

Oh, you mean like

I - afraid of people
S - unimaginative
T - cold
J - anti-spontaneity

Put together equals:

TurtleT2.jpg

prosperity

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
Im nearly 100% P and I can work so fast nobody knows i spend 50% of the day 'playing' plus i got them all fooled into thinking im organised. PUt it this way, i can do what an STJ can spend all day doing in about half hour - they seem so so slow... and given they make up bulk of business workforce i can easily dupe them.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Observations unrelated with topic but sparked by post:
Almost all ENTPs I know think they could be or have been diagnosed with having either or both dyslexia and attention deficit.

Rant having nothing to do with thread or post:
I keep thinking they should not be considered personality disorders, but are simply normal aspects of some types of personalities.
I am revolted by the use of drugs for hyperactivity for example. I think this practice should be considered an assault on a person's individuality. Try to make them conform to normalizing behavior - such as academic performance - can sabotage the potential of a perfectly healthy individual.

I like you!!!!!!!!!
You should start a thread on that subject!
Also i think INTPs can sometimes be labelled that way! or the more confident ones can be!

And i like !!!s !!!!!!!!

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
seriously ESxJ's scare me a lot

I feel useless when they are around

I know the feeling! My Dads an ESTJ!

Best thing is to do one of the three - in oder from best to worse:

1) Escape! Stay away from them unless other reasonable people who like you (in my case my Mum) are around.

2) Try appeal to them! Get into discussions with them over any and all common interests but be careful not to disagree with them overly or be to aggressive in arguments as they hate and alot of the time refuse to be wrong especially if you have no "Authority" over them.

3) Tease them! Use this as a last resort to get some satisfaction! They like dead lines and hate slow workers so do both and be really obvious about it! say thing like "I'll do it later" or "Not right now I've got better things to do" then deliver and say "Just when you wanted it" or "See, told i would do it on time" then when they grumble challenge them "Well you said you needed it for today, if you wanted it done earlier you should of asked!"
They will hate you yet undoubtable have grudging respect for your efficiency.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lol, I tend to have a plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G,.... and then just in case it all goes to pot (which is not uncommon) I improvise. It all works out in the end.

PLANS?

What self respecting P PLANS?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
The answer is they don't survive. Being J (Big Five conscientiousness) predicts better performance in school, at work and in relationships. Sorry Ps, but being lazy and lacking self-discipline doesn't pay off. And doing well at school, work and in relationships also make you feel good about yourself, making it even more attractive to be J.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I'm very P... and I've let it have its way before... and I sort of hate myself when I don't instill any P discipline. Part of my motivation comes from those students who aren't necessarily smart, but study every minute... and ask a million questions during lecture... there are a few really obnoxious ones I'm thinking of... and if I don't get a better test score I know I'm going to hear about it... especially since one of them is in my lab group.

I value education in general. I've grown up with friends who are either self motivated or who have parents with a gun to her/his head. Whether or not I think grades represent intelligence... I know the only way I'll get to where I want to go is if I make myself work.

Planners? I've tried... I think sharpie + hands works better... harder to lose =P

As far as work outside of school... I've only had customer service jobs. Carrying out tasks like cleaning is the easiest way to avoid customers and coworkers... so I'm actually a fairly decent employee... well, outside of "establishing a connection with the customers" or small talk.

To compensate: When I get mad about having to carry out a task, my misanthropy levels increase a little. My attitude towards people is typically "GTFO", but I'm able to cover that up well as long as I eventually get alone time.

Instead of pretending to be a J in education (or even work) why not use P to your advantage?
Use that extra curiosity, ask all the questions that come to mind like "If alkali metals explode in water/acid or burn through skin could you make a bullet that is Potassium in an unreactive liquid that turns acidic after 2 second air exposer?" - Yes i have asked that in chemistry class.
Use your P to your advantage! Wasn't the first MBTI book called Gifts Differing?

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
The answer is they don't survive. Being J (Big Five conscientiousness) predicts better performance in school, at work and in relationships. Sorry Ps, but being lazy and lacking self-discipline doesn't pay off. And doing well at school, work and in relationships also make you feel good about yourself, making it even more attractive to be J.

What bullshit is that?

Ps aren't lazy or lacking Self-discipline.
We just have different motivations. We are more curious. More open to ideas. Want to know more and see more. Content to experience what there is rather than change it. Rather than changing everything why not try experiencing it all?
We try and fit in the world rather than fit the world to us.
Also we work faster than you guys. You jealious yet?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
What bullshit is that?

Ps aren't lazy or lacking Self-discipline.
We just have different motivations. We are more curious. More open to ideas. Want to know more and see more. Content to experience what there is rather than change it. Rather than changing everything why not try experiencing it all?
We try and fit in the world rather than fit the world to us.
Also we work faster than you guys. You jealious yet?

Haha, my statements are based on empirical Big Five research, what are yours? And yes, I am perfectly aware of P correlating with N, but there is also a negative correlation to self-discipline, or a positive correlation to impulsivity, if you will. Not all Ps are lacking in self-discipline, but Js are on average quite a bit more self-disciplined and hard-working. Just the facts.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I go to work without pants and noone has dared yet to ask why I wear no pants. :D

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
i survive by being online all day and procrastinating til i have something due and finish it in 5 mins and come back here
and appearing neat when in reality all papers are just thrown and not even filed correctly
and stashing everything in my desk or under the carpet when the day is over :x

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
All you have to do is GET WORK DONE. And if you can do that without a schedule, it's all good. I've gotten good about trying to get organized, but in the end, I still work when I feel like it, and I usually get it done.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i survive by being online all day and procrastinating til i have something due and finish it in 5 mins and come back here
and appearing neat when in reality all papers are just thrown and not even filed correctly
and stashing everything in my desk or under the carpet when the day is over :x

:D:D sounds familiar

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Given that the business and academic world is strongly J oriented, how do you as P survive in it? Some answers from >80% P would be good.

OK, I'm off the charts w/ regard to "P." So, how does one who thrives in a world of options survive the humdrum of a M-F 9-5 job? A few simple and obvious answers: (1) Bills, (2) Health Insurance, (3) Free College Tuition, etc.

Other than that, you must go beyond the basic $$$ and benefits logic if you are a Perceiver and wish to hold a job that limits you in some way. For example, my prior jobs paid well but limited me with regard to schedule and creativity. Now I make a little less than before, but I have alot of flexibility in my schedule, still 8AM-5:30 PM, but I can take long lunches, arrive late, leave early, etc. as long as I make up my time, take leave, or sometimes if my work is just done.

With regard to creativity, there are times when my boss says "I need this in 5 minutes!" and he is not kidding, and its usually a task related to nothing I've done before, but that's OK because I am an excellent bullshitter, BUT there are more times when my boss says "I need this by next Wednesday, do it however you like, show me a draft in a day or so and we'll go from there."

The type of job I am in now it took me a year just to figure out what is going on, a second year to get the gist of things, and now in my third year I am able to improve the work that was done before me.

Also, I'm the only person in my organziation who has been dropped into the middle of 20 confused people, all of which out rank me, have an ominous deadline, have no idea how to solve the problem, but between all of them the details of how to do so are known in isolated compartments. That's where I come in. I moved around every 2 years my whole childhood and can make a room full of strangers talk within 30 seconds. I drop the high-level picture on a whiteboard, and create a numbered list of the things needed to solve the problem, and then just feed off them all until the puzzle is solved. I get to do this about once or twice per year, but when I can I LOVE IT.

So, its give and take. Give of yourself to learn things that are greater than your current capabilities, and take from a fixed position that whcih you need to survive being an extroverted (in my case) sensor perceiver. Mold your job into one you can live with! Nothing is set in stone! All is negotiable!

:cheese:

-A.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The more important question is, why should the business and academic world be J oriented ?

Phrases like that really make no sense to me. I am working on a project team at the moment and they wanted to build a website.

They sat together and brainstormed. They wrote down first ideas. They made several powerpoint presentations on a possible concept. They sat down and brainstormed again. They wrote down the new ideas. They had a team session discussing the topic...

After 3 months they came to me, telling me just 3 words: "We need webpage" (I didnt get the rest of the mambo jumbo)

1 week later they got themselves one. Everyone was fascinated. I can show it to you, but it has to be comissioned by several authorities first. I am gonna post it, when its online.

So tell me, why should the business and academic world be J oriented ? Success is unstoppable

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's all anti-P propaganda Entropie. They want to make us feel bad for not being uptight as they are and still getting to be as smart and creative if not more.

Jness is for people who can't be their own bosses!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
wise words my friend, as always :)

*hands over a 99cent beer* (yes i am broke) :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, be eat, drink, sleep, and breath..er no.

Well, I don't view myself as a stereotypical P, but more as a servant. I'm the kind of person that if you tell me to do something, I'll 95% of the time go and do it right. I'm not really one to procrastinate with things involving school work, projects, or any other big things I'm assigned. Where procrastination comes in there is for stuff that's not too important to me- little things. I am an extremely unorganized person, but I usually construct a general layout or plan in my head when I have important things going on. Procrastination and disorganization are really only obvious when I'm doing a normal day-to-day thing, if that makes sense.