• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do Ps survive in the working world?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7. Always look irritated or stressed out. Makes you look busy. Credit to Costanza for that one. It actually works.

Lol... oh yeah, I forgot that.
If you look annoyed and caught up in something, people assume you have a reason... and are working a problem that is frustrating. Griping makes you sound productive.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^^

7. Always look irritated or stressed out. Makes you look busy. Credit to Costanza for that one. It actually works.
I do that, but I'm usually pretty chilled out so I'm going for the stress\speeded up-I'm-uber-busy-right-now tone whenever people need me. It's important not to overdo it, makes you look crazy ^^

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I do that, but I'm usually pretty chilled out so I'm going for the stress\speeded up-I'm-uber-busy-right-now tone whenever people need me. It's important not to overdo it, makes you look crazy ^^

Haha! That's definitely true. Don't want to look like a serial killer with murder in his eyes.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Haha! That's definitely true. Don't want to look like a serial killer with murder in his eyes.
That would explain alot actually :cheese:

As a teenager I had refined the wild look and my reputation for being some kind of a wild genius with grave health issues so that teachers would never check my homeworks and that the administration wouldn't get too suspicious about me skipping school at least one day a week.

Years passed by and that one time a mom was walking with her kid on the other sidewalk, i just looked at them and she went like 'I"m sorry!" while kinda shielding her kid with her body.

This was the day i decided to stop looking mean : P

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx

lol, is that a common look for you?

Personally I'm pretty good at my job, not perfect, but good. And, admittedly, I've honed a lot of really good personality qualities that others don't have (or don't have together). I think that this helps a lot.

I think I would quit a job if I wasn't being productive 7 hours out of a 9 hour work day. As it is I'm usually not productive about an hour and a half out of an eight our work day (but it's a *solid* hour and a half)

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I love this thread! Give me good ideas :) Well I rely on my strong sensing ability. Every employer that i've had has loved my attention to detail. So that makes up for my Pness! You should try getting a job like mine...I work remotely and every 4 days i'm somewhere new..or home chillin. I've been home since December 20th and I fly out on January 11th so i'm "on call" :) I think my company is strongly P very disorganized very last minute so I just go with the flow.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
once I got into MBTI, I realized there was no chance I'd maximize my productivity squeezing into a 9-5 J type of schedule

so much like ENTP Winston Churchill, I get a large share of my work done after hours when it's easier to concentrate and no one's asking me when something will be finished

my company used to spend a ton on office space, and is now big on telecommuting, so it helps that I can pick up a laptop at 9pm and start doing something I get paid for

ultimately, you have to organize work around on your brain's activity level, not the clock, but with each passing year, world seems to be getting more friendly to us, and I see a lot of Js, especially STJs getting frustrated by the weekend warriors and 24/7 e-mailers - quite honestly bigger issue is how STJs cope in the tech industry - it's really not cut out for them

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
100% here, I'm a mess. I never work or study or anything, still a student (business school).
So far I sweet talked myself out of every situation.

*high five* I am 95% myself.

I always wondered , do you have to be a J to be successfuil in this world.
Alot of people wasted their life working and still haven't earned a dime. I refused to work 24/7 to be successful, because one thing is for sure

human productivity =/= wealth.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
*high five* I am 95% myself.

Alot of people wasted their life working and still haven't earned a dime. I refused to work 24/7 to be successful, because one thing is for sure

human productivity =/= wealth.
to that I will answer by telling you what I often say to strangers i've just met:
marry me.:blush:

bloodyfungus

MBTI Type
INTP
I think this all depends on the type of organisation you work for. Most of the organisations I have worked for have all been Ps. Strangely enough, most of the managers I have had been Js. I think if you are an SP it's a bit easier as you can get rid of that nagging boss by showing them your progress so far. It's a bit harder for NPs as I'm only likely to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the last minute....and it's usually got bells on too :p

All the J types of organisation (mainly private sector) I have not taken to that well at all and have usually left within a couple of months with blood pouring out of my eyes.

I think if your line of work is more "touchy-feely" like Healthcare or charity work (which I think is the best for me, inceidentally) then Ps are more likely to flourish. I think to say flatly that P's struggle at ANY kind of work is a bit of a cop-out

With the evolving technology we have to hand I think that P's are starting to come into there own a bit more and it certainly does frustrate those who like their meetings and illogical deadlines. I've always wanted to make the way I work something comfortable that I can put on when I want to. When I have had J bosses, working life has been more like desert survival. I'm constantly throwing in meat (fancy graphs, logical theories, creating meetings(!)) for the J Lion bosses to feed on whilst I can grapple with what I value as important, interesting and probably useful and meet the usually arbitrary deadline without constant interruption.

I now am self-employed and my work life has never been happier. I highly recommend it if you can!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I test at about 80% P. And I am self-employed (thank god). I've been working on ways to get out of the prospect of a 40 hr work week since I was about 15, it's actually been a huge motivator.

About 60% of my work I really like, and have no problem spending hours doing it. It's the 40% menial work that slays me (I've outsourced a few things to people in India (my SJ slaves) before, and I might look into doing more of that).

I can handle real 9-5 work and having a boss, I've done it a few times, my problem isn't showing up on time and getting the work done, it's that right when I get a semi-legit opportunity to quit, I do.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Work as little bit as possible if at all (self employment) or solider through a slave if need be.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Charm and finesse of course.

Learn what P and J mean please.

ArchitectofFate

MBTI Type
ENTP
since I know that Procrastinate isn't good on projects so I work early but I get distracted and I end up finish everything a long time later anyway. >_>

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
How P's survive:

1. Compartmentalize. Put a bunch of irons in the fire so it always sounds like you're doing work and can pass off lack of progress in one task as "intense focus" on another... even if you're just playing Solitaire or posting on forums half a day. Very few people will know your "full" schedule; hence, you can pad it.
This helps... not sure about the solitaire part, but at any given moment, being able to pick and choose tasks helps. I don't think you can count on always having the option - but at least for me, it helps.

2. Do bangup work on the jobs you complete.
Always helps.

3. Sound like you're on top of things and can tell someone exactly what's going on, even if you're nowhere close to being completed with it.
Hmm - I wouldn't know about this one, maybe I should try it... I'm the one who's always secondguessing and pointing out what I *don't* know (yet) about a problem... some of the strong J folks I work with (ie, my boss) *hate* that. They jump in with the "we'll just have to cut corners to make the deadline then" bit (which they KNOW I hate).

4. Build extra time into your schedules, don't go for the bare minimal time -- give yourself room to play and explore.
I think this is the most important one... although don't get caught doing it :D. I work in a *very* J sort of environment... they've been pressuring us to "plan out everything you'll do in detail before you do it, assign a time estimate, then do it and record how accurate your estimate was". And they absolutely LOVE to set basically worthless arbitrary deadlines and then act like the world's going to end if they're not hit (ignoring changes that come up, or emergency work on other items). This completely doesn't work for what I do, but that doesn't matter... it's the policy that's important, apparently. I, of course, plan to basically ignore this... and if I can't, I'll overestimate the time up front. If you work in the kind of job where you never know exactly how long something will take, *don't* commit... and if you're forced to, double your most conservative estimate (I mean, if it's good enough for Scotty from Star Trek, it's good enough for me! - kidding... sort of :dry:). Otherwise you'll get screwed. Even aside from that, flexibility is good.

5. Get a variety of job duties so that you can multi-task more when you get bored or stuck.
Kinda like #1, but I agree.

6. Have your resume on hand so you can go somewhere else if you get canned or habitually bored.
I haven't had to do this part yet... hopefully I can keep it that way :).

If you're talking about financial success, no, you don't... but I truly believe that it does help. So many jobs that wind up being "high paying" depend on schedules, deadlines, and not only being able to do something, but being able to tell someone, ahead of time, exactly what *will* happen with the project at multiple points of time... ie, scheduling. Now I'm not convinced that this is necessary to accomplish, but it's an undeniable fact that most industries revolve around this model :)sick:).

But there are places for P's too :). Just play to your strengths. And, I should add, don't be too blatantly immune to compromise. Nobody's going to get their way all the time... if you pick your battles you can come out all right most of the time. And when you can't... maybe it's time to look for something else.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hobbies take more importance over work. *nods sagely*