• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do Ps survive in the working world?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know. I think....I think I may be likable. And...that's probably what gets me by. That and I'm smart, good at seeing outside the box, good at seeing all sides of a situation, good at finding solutions, and I'm nice to people I don't know (so, pr I guess). Otherwise, I have a tendency to be lazy, to wait until the last minute, to improvise (again, wouldn't work except my IQ is pretty up there), and I'm *nearly always* late. luckily I've managed to cut it back to exactly-on-time-but-some-times-up-to-five-minutes-late. Which is way better than my elementary school days of being an hour late. Otherwise. Dunno. It may come to bite me in the a** when I need job references but this is my first professional job.

Yea, smiling your way through the day is a good method.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I don't know. I think....I think I may be likable. And...that's probably what gets me by. That and I'm smart, good at seeing outside the box, good at seeing all sides of a situation, good at finding solutions, and I'm nice to people I don't know (so, pr I guess).

This rings bells briochick - also I know I have to be J at work (I score 80+P) so i am generally about the stuff I know it matters to be J about - usually around issues I'm passionate about or stuff I know that if I dont sort out I will drop myself or others in the shit - and I compensate by being totally P in my private life - which does cause problems - though it helps that I'm married to somebody who is more P than me!!

Being very introverted too doesnt help - I still have days when I am very absent minded and distracted and I get easily embarrassed about this - I dont know but I'd imagine enfps/entps can laugh this off better?

So work often feels like acting in a straightjacket and is a very very tiring act to keep going - on holiday now I love the freedom to be myself without apology and recharge my batteries before starting over again in the new year.

I do often think that life would be easier as a J or is that just a case of the grass is greener...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is intersting is that J types are accused of control freakery - yet P types get very controlling if you upset their apple carts.

Good topic

Lis

This is so true. Sometimes you can be so unscheduled that any type of schedule can throw you into a hissy! I'm that way sometimes.

"WHAT! YOU WANT ME TO GO TO WORK A HALF HOUR EARLY! I WAS DRINKING MY COFFEE."

lol!!!

But those are my own issues.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hur. I don't?

When it comes to homework I always put if off until the last minute, assuming that, "Oh, I'll get it done during first period, in time for second." I overestimate my capabilities and realise that 1) The piece of homework was harder than I thought and 2) My brain can't possibly operate that well at 9:00AM. So I either do nothing and hope the teacher forgets to ask for it, bunk the lesson, or do a really messy job.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm 90% P, and I'm almost inapt for work.:D (and sometimes, almost stakhanovist)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
SnS - indeed, thats exactly what I mean - I had a challenging experience with an ENTP before Christmas, because he wasn't in total control of the situation he freaked out completely.

Tayshaun - it seems we are in agrement of the likely causes of ADD.

briochick - I fully understand if the meds help you, but I fear a lot of parents are simpy doping up their kids rather than applying good parenting. The whole time poor financially rich culture is not of the benfit to good quality child development.

L

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
This rings bells briochick - also I know I have to be J at work (I score 80+P) so i am generally about the stuff I know it matters to be J about - usually around issues I'm passionate about or stuff I know that if I dont sort out I will drop myself or others in the shit - and I compensate by being totally P in my private life - which does cause problems - though it helps that I'm married to somebody who is more P than me!!

Being very introverted too doesnt help - I still have days when I am very absent minded and distracted and I get easily embarrassed about this - I dont know but I'd imagine enfps/entps can laugh this off better?

So work often feels like acting in a straightjacket and is a very very tiring act to keep going - on holiday now I love the freedom to be myself without apology and recharge my batteries before starting over again in the new year.

I do often think that life would be easier as a J or is that just a case of the grass is greener...

nice to know I'm ringing bells. They always do make pretty noises.

I too, can be pretty J when I need to be.
But, I'm often absentminded, often forget stuff. I guess I've just learned to laugh most of it off. I used to get totally embarrassed but one day I realized that I could laugh or be mortified and I just decided to laugh (probably a bad explanation of an epiphany, sorry about that). I can feel quite restricted at work and I'm lucky that I pretty much work by myself (as a teacher it's just me and the kids most of the day) and I think that helps *a lot*.

I live for the weekends when I'm free to do whatever I want in whatever order I want at whatever pace I want. My motto for traveling is "nothing is required of you except that you don't compromise your values."

I really don't think Js are better off. I don't think hard Js get to see the world with much wonder.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Hur. I don't?

When it comes to homework I always put if off until the last minute, assuming that, "Oh, I'll get it done during first period, in time for second." I overestimate my capabilities and realise that 1) The piece of homework was harder than I thought and 2) My brain can't possibly operate that well at 9:00AM. So I either do nothing and hope the teacher forgets to ask for it, bunk the lesson, or do a really messy job.

Haha that sounds like me, I'm just thankful that even my sloppy last minute work got good marks.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I figured the most important thing is reliability. If they know they can count on what you say, your work can be absolutely bad, noone judges you for that because at least you hold on to your word :D. I worked together on a project with an ESFJ and it was pretty fun. He encouraged me to bring in new ideas, but corrected half of them because he did want to do it another way. I am fine with that, I get paid by hours :D.

In university its different, there you actually have to learn the J organisational structure. Especially when you study engineering, you have to learn things like product managment, which includes developing a project from the idea to the finished product. There are all sorts of steps you have to go through until the end and alot of instruments you can use in the process. Its pretty boring to learn all that, but you have to because in the end you have to write a test about it. Well, I manage, somehow.

I think if I do all the things now, I mustnt bother myself with them in the future again.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) I'm a very high P scorer always (somewhere above 90% every time :rolleyes:) and HATE the working world.

I suck at being structured, I often lose scraps of paper with important things written on them and I'm terrible at getting people thier phone messages. I asked a coworker a while back why the bosses don't hate me and haven't fired me because of these ineptitudes and the response I got was- "well, you're really hard to hate, you're charming and know how to work that. You also have a very good sales record because customers like you as well." :)

I guess, in the end, I use charm instead of the skills I'm supposed to be able to exhibit, but at least I have something to help me get by!

T

ThatGirl

You guys are a bunch of lazy asses, geeze.

I love working and can make almost anything I do fun for me. It comes from growing up and realizing, you sort of dont have a choice.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I actually have no idea why I don't get fired. Last job I would waste 6 to 7 out of 9 hours a day, yet my boss was really satisfied with my work and kept praising me.

I had to fire myself out of 'guilt'. They were paying me for being around, felt like stealing.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I actually have no idea why I don't get fired. Last job I would waste 6 to 7 out of 9 hours a day, yet my boss was really satisfied with my work and kept praising me.

I had to fire myself out of 'guilt'. They were paying me for being around, felt like stealing.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm very high p too and do much better in a really flexible position with lots of independence. i don't do well with any sort of micro management.

i don't really have trouble getting to work on time or doing what i'm supposed to do as long as i pick something i enjoy doing that allows me freedom.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:) I'm a very high P scorer always (somewhere above 90% every time :rolleyes:) and HATE the working world.

I suck at being structured, I often lose scraps of paper with important things written on them and I'm terrible at getting people thier phone messages. I asked a coworker a while back why the bosses don't hate me and haven't fired me because of these ineptitudes and the response I got was- "well, you're really hard to hate, you're charming and know how to work that. You also have a very good sales record because customers like you as well." :)

I guess, in the end, I use charm instead of the skills I'm supposed to be able to exhibit, but at least I have something to help me get by!

+1

And, I am reliable as I do make it a point to finish my work (one of my values), but don't tell me how to do it, nor when to do it by. Coz then you've got a prob. It will be done though. I also scored points at my previous job with being incredibly flexible, which tied with being reliable, made me apparently an asset. When they were in a tight jam, they would to call me, as chances were I'd be more than willing to help them out and rearrange my schedule. And that means they put up with my sensotard moments, my complete chaos, tardiness and my other quirks and even help me out with those when they caused trouble.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

story of my life sister, story of my life. (100% p)
I get some easy jobs sometimes, where i basically get overpaid to come once a month, and I'm not even able to do that. Yet I always come wearing a smile and chatting myself into being forgiven (free ice cream helps too)
I basically never do things I dont define as pleasurable in the short term, which rocks for my private life but sucks for the rest of it.

My parents are both traditionalistic Js and sensors (at least one of them is for sure). It's kind of a conflict generating topic.

I've been like that for as long as I can remember.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just tested.
Got 59% P.

I'm so much more J than you guys will ever be.
I'm so much better at life.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How P's survive:

1. Compartmentalize. Put a bunch of irons in the fire so it always sounds like you're doing work and can pass off lack of progress in one task as "intense focus" on another... even if you're just playing Solitaire or posting on forums half a day. Very few people will know your "full" schedule; hence, you can pad it.

2. Do bangup work on the jobs you complete.

3. Sound like you're on top of things and can tell someone exactly what's going on, even if you're nowhere close to being completed with it.

4. Build extra time into your schedules, don't go for the bare minimal time -- give yourself room to play and explore.

5. Get a variety of job duties so that you can multi-task more when you get bored or stuck.

6. Have your resume on hand so you can go somewhere else if you get canned or habitually bored.

Disclaimer: For entertainment purposes only, I would NEVER confess to running scams like this myself (gasp).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
^^

7. Always look irritated or stressed out. Makes you look busy. Credit to Costanza for that one. It actually works.