• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Hurt feelings and NT's

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I totally set that up, wondering who'd take the bait :rolleyes:
you guys excel yourselves... haha

redacted

Many people that cling to the letter T (not all Ts of course, just the ones who pretend not to have emotions) have incredibly strong feelings that they constantly suppress.

They consciously don't think their feelings get hurt, but they're just lying to themselves. It's like they're constantly getting rocks thrown at them and they never move out of the way. When I protect them from the rocks, they act like I'm crazy; they think they're invincible. They think the people who dodge the rocks are silly, but every once in a while they wonder...hmmm...where are all these bruises coming from? And then they move on to the next thought as fast as possible because they realize they're the ones being immature and they don't want to admit it.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone who claims to not have feelings, or not to be affected by them, has a birth defect of some sort. Or has learned to stifle that natural and necessary side of their health. We are born with feelings for a reason.

The feeling function is included within the sixteen personality types because it is a part of human makeup. If we are born healthy we have the capacity to feel and express our feelings. Baby's all do it. Except for the ones who have been damaged in some way. Those are the ones who are silent and appear passive and it's automatic to assume that there is something wrong with a baby which doesn't gurgle in contendedness or cry in fear or pain.

Some find theirs too difficult to manage or express and so develop the habit of overlooking them to the point that they are accustomed to denying their existence. That can be because of damage while being developed in the womb or by neglect or damage in their childhood.

Obviously some types have less need for development of feelings than other types. And some types have more need to learn feeling management and recognition than other types. But the fact remains that a healthy human is born with the need and capacity for emotion.

redacted

Anyone who claims to not have feelings, or not to be affected by them, has a birth defect of some sort. Or has learned to stifle that natural and necessary side of their health. We are born with feelings for a reason.

The feeling function is included within the sixteen personality types because it is a part of human makeup. If we are born healthy we have the capacity to feel and express our feelings. Baby's all do it. Except for the ones who have been damaged in some way. Those are the ones who are silent and appear passive and it's automatic to assume that there is something wrong with a baby which doesn't gurgle in contendedness or cry in fear or pain.

Some find theirs too difficult to manage or express and so develop the habit of overlooking them to the point that they are accustomed to denying their existence. That can be because of damage while being developed in the womb or by neglect or damage in their childhood.

Obviously some types have less need for development of feelings than other types. And some types have more need to learn feeling management and recognition than other types. But the fact remains that a healthy human is born with the need and capacity for emotion.

The bold describes those I'm talking about.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why haven't you kissed Trinity yet?

The last guy that kissed someone named Trinity ended up looking like Hugo Weaving.

Could all the F's please be direct and quote the T posts they're referring to, so I can tell whether you've misunderstood me or whether you were reading someone else's posts and I can stop being confused and paranoid?

(CLARITY!!!!) :D

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
The bold describes those I'm talking about.

Well I wasn't talking about anyone in particular but I have often seen people in RL seething with rage and denying it. When that happens I always want to do that INFP inappropriate laughter thing.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you vested emotions in me?

Name your first born in my honour and we can talk.

If you guys kiss, I'm outta here to go get my camera!

I was gonna play with this till I saw the hidden text :dont: What happens in the emotive NT thread, stays in the emotive NT thread! No cameras!

Talk to you later Sunshine :smooch:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

I was neither neglected nor abused as a child. There was no trauma. Growing up, I was treated like an absolute princess (in case it isn't clear, I'm a woman).

So please, just stop it with this nonsense. Oh wait, you won't ... because you believe what you want to believe despite contrary evidence.

Christ. :rolli:

redacted

I was neither neglected nor abused as a child. There was no trauma. Growing up, I was treated like an absolute princess (in case it isn't clear, I'm a woman).

So please, just stop it with this nonsense. Oh wait, you won't ... because you believe what you want to believe despite contrary evidence.

Christ. :rolli:

You're saying you aren't affected by feelings?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's not really upset -- she's just trying to trick you into believing she is! :yes:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How come everyone who emotes differently or very little must be victim of some sort of abuse? Is it really so much of a crime that it must be excused this way?

redacted

How come everyone who emotes differently or very little must be victim of some sort of abuse? Is it really so much of a crime that it must be excused this way?

It's not emoting differently that we're talking about.

It's the conscious rejection of feeling.

redacted

Then why must that always be prompted by abuse?

Because it's incredibly highly correlated. (Not necessarily abuse, but some sort of unmet need.) For every single person I've been close to, I can (and do, it's my obsession) come up with a logically sound system for why they emote in the fashion that they do based on their childhood, etc.

Plus, these things are basics in psychology. It's not like there's no science involved.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Because it's incredibly highly correlated. (Not necessarily abuse, but some sort of unmet need.) For every single person I've been close to, I can (and do, it's my obsession) come up with a logically sound system for why they emote in the fashion that they do based on their childhood, etc.

Plus, these things are basics in psychology. It's not like there's no science involved.

Unmet need? I can't think of a single person on earth that has completely met needs. So it could have come from anywhere.

redacted

Unmet need? I can't think of a single person on earth that has completely met needs. So it could have come from anywhere.

I realized while rereading my post that I wasn't specific enough.

I meant like an unmet basic childhood need.

At least based on my observations (which there are a shitload of, I'm obsessed with people/motivations; it's my life project), people that consciously reject feeling always come from fucked up childhoods. Every single one I've seen.

Fucked up can mean under-nurtured, over-nurtured (stifled), abused (verbally or physically), sexually messed with, exposed to death, etc. etc.

Also I know a few people that in high school completely rejected their feelings (thought people that let emotions come to the surface were weak, that they were strong for not feeling, blah blah) that look back now and realize how in denial they were.

A conscious fight to maintain "rationality" and push down feeling is ALWAYS a signifier of unresolved major personal issues. ALWAYS.

Anyway, the most rational of people would include their own emotional responses and those of others in their framework of rationality.

People that think feelings are to be rejected are really just refusing to see the reality in front of them. They're like little children.

Note: I have personal experience here. For most of my life (until at least 16) I totally rejected feeling. I thought it was for stupid people. I thought if I just tried hard enough and thought hard enough, I would overcome the obstacle of feeling. And the truth is, IT WORKS, at least in the short term. You CAN reject feeling, and it does remove you from your emotion; it does allow detached rationality. But you're borrowing from the future... All you're doing is putting off feeling. It's not like it goes away, it just stacks up for later. And one day it will build too high.