• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and teaching

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Just wondering...

I assume that of all the archetypes, INTPs probably value learning more than implementing, therefore...

INTPs, by nature, will improvise, or develop ways or methodologies in which learning for them can be effective.

This made me think that INTPs can be forerunners of advanced teaching methods, it's just that, maybe, most INTPs don't want to be teachers PER SE because of a weak Fe.

Anyway, in college, I've encountered teachers who are intelligent in their own right, but has a really weak communication and teaching skills, and were just hired, in my opinion, because of impressive academic resume. However, I think that's just purely looking at things on face value.

I do consider myself a life-long learner but I never thrived in studying under pressure, nor do I believe in the virtue of being a bookworm. I've always felt like I have my ways of learning things, it's just that I'm not articulate enough in describing it in a more concrete detail.

Anyone here share similar sentiments?

redacted

I've had a couple of obvious INTP professors. Most of them seem like they took the positions to do research rather than teach, but my last INTP teacher (Steven Palmer) was an incredibly good speaker as well.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd love to teach in university classes as a professor, but yeah, I'd pretty much go there for research work mainly, teaching people who are interested in your subject is something I enjoy and something I would consider to be a plus of a job thought.

Teaching in high school would make me want to murder someone. I'll leave that to ENTPs.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've had some INTP profs and, to be honest, they're not the best teachers. Like evan said, it seems like they're more interested in research (which makes sense, given the type.) From the ones that I've experienced, it doesn't seem as though they were exactly interested in formulating new and improved pedagogical methods...in fact, they were probably among the most traditional in approach of all the types that I'd had (lecture behind the lectern).

I don't exactly understand what you meant by the lifelong learner or bookworm stuff, though. Are you saying that if you were to become a professor that you'd find it difficult making your knowledge concrete enough for others to understand (even despite the fact that you don't do the bookworm thing that is so stereotypical of INTPs?)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's INTJ's that are good teachers in my experience.
INTP's are good to bounce ideas off of, especially if you're both well versed in the topic at hand.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd like to disagree that INTPs are crappy teachers. What I'd like to say is that INTPs are shitty teachers to big classes.

My physics class has 9 students, the INTP lector we have is probably the best teacher I've ever had and he is bloody awesome. His class a year ago with 61 students we're pretty much crappy and boring thought.

I guess an INTP's I's make them have troubles keeping track of masses of students. But its proffered on smaller groups. Our Biology lector an ENTP seemed to be far more comfortable with our previous class of 71, than our current class of 18.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an INTP teacher--I teach English on the college freshman level. I actually love it, and I'm good at it, maybe because I do have pretty high Fe. I love the classroom time, most of the time, and I love seeing students make progress. What I don't love is trying to juggle multiple classes, grading a whole slew of papers, and keeping on top of the ones who don't listen. I like the college level because you can ostensibly treat them like adults--but I end up caring about their grades sometimes more than they do. I have to stop that. :doh:

I couldn't teach on the high school level, though. Too much mothering and dealing with kids who think they're hilarious.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm fairly sure my Biology professor last semester was an INTP. The class had 200 people in it. He wasn't a great lecturer, but he definitely wasn't a bad one, and was a cool guy outside the classroom (he supervised a research project I worked on).

Kollin

MBTI Type
INXP
I have met a several intp teachers. Only two were at the grade school level. one was a *very* good math teacher. Most were at the college level though.

intps usually are not very good with applying their theories. They probably could do that if he or she were so inclined.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'd like to disagree that INTPs are crappy teachers. What I'd like to say is that INTPs are shitty teachers to big classes.

I agree with this, at least from experience. I currently have two INTP professors, one whose class had 150 students and one who taught a class of 19 students. The first professor was constantly flustered and would freeze up when a student asked a question, while the other's fairly decent at handling students and manages to get through to more people than the first one did.

On the other hand, the second professor clearly has more self esteem than the first, so I'm not sure this proves anything.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I've had some INTP profs and, to be honest, they're not the best teachers. Like evan said, it seems like they're more interested in research (which makes sense, given the type.) From the ones that I've experienced, it doesn't seem as though they were exactly interested in formulating new and improved pedagogical methods...in fact, they were probably among the most traditional in approach of all the types that I'd had (lecture behind the lectern).

I don't exactly understand what you meant by the lifelong learner or bookworm stuff, though. Are you saying that if you were to become a professor that you'd find it difficult making your knowledge concrete enough for others to understand (even despite the fact that you don't do the bookworm thing that is so stereotypical of INTPs?)

It's something like this. INTPs are known for understanding complex systems. It has something to do with the Ti stripping down the essence of that complex system making it relatively simple for the INTP to understand, which, in my opinion, is a more effective way of learning than sheer reading/memorizing data.

I was thinking that maybe INTPs can teach the fundamentals of Ti and make it an alternative style of learning things.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
In the few and far between situations where I am teaching or instructing somebody to do something I think I'm very descriptive and helpful, but I become very agitated when I have to explain things twice.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd like to be a professor some day. I second that teaching pre-collegic classes would probably drive me crazy.

8lifeGREAT

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am a teacher to special ed kids and work one-on-one. I prefer the diagnostic part of my job over classroom teaching because it allows me to study, observe and invent in a loop which gives me vitality. It is a fascinating process.

Since ENTP is called the Innovator this stands to reason. As I get older, though, I am interested only in areas which will contribute to a larger group. So I'm looking at returning to school and gaining qualifications which will allow me to teach teachers and others.

The part of ENTPs that requires a cause or person to be "worthy" before jumping full-in requires no explanation on my part. It is simply about getting the most bang for the buck. If you think INTPs are poor teachers perhaps you are not connecting in a way that engages them in your "worth." NTPs like to forward something rather than just exchange information easily available from other sources, IMHO.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I sometimes have strange fantasies of being a teacher. Not that that really means anything, since I'd probably not be too good with those few loud kids that always worm their way into corrupting the curriculum.

One INTP teacher I think I've had was... sleep-inducing. It was Chemistry, and we almost always focused on the notes, and he lectured, with his monotone-eque voice, and it became a challenge to stay awake some days. He was a cool guy-- you could tell-- but those Chemistry classes, man...

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sometimes have strange fantasies of being a teacher. Not that that really means anything, since I'd probably not be too good with those few loud kids that always worm their way into corrupting the curriculum.

One INTP teacher I think I've had was... sleep-inducing. It was Chemistry, and we almost always focused on the notes, and he lectured, with his monotone-eque voice, and it became a challenge to stay awake some days. He was a cool guy-- you could tell-- but those Chemistry classes, man...

I would have thought INTPs, of all types, would show the most enthusiasm explaining a subject they are interested in.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I would have thought INTPs, of all types, would show the most enthusiasm explaining a subject they are interested in.

I would think that is the case as well, as long as all the students are receptive. I would have zero tolerance for troublemakers, those who didn't understand a simple concept, or those not also interested in the subject.