• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Musician

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Eminem: quite possibly INTJ
Bruce Dickinson: ENTP
Billie Joe Armstrong: ENTP

Hawker45

From what i've read in this topic and the vast research on him, i would say there's a good chance maynard keenan is intj rather than intp. For one he's definately an N, Ni would be my best guess, just because of the weird song titles, themes and the fact that he wants the listener to figure out their own meaning for the songs, rather than wanting the listener to understand the metaphor in the context that it was constructed(Ne?). You can also see a very obvious development of functions in his career. Opiate and Undertow were very much NT-driven albums, and very forthright in the opinions presented however in Aenema there were some very reflective lyrics, like in the song H. Lateralus continued upon this road and i thought was very nf driven, except in a sort of more intelligent than usual way. Perhaps a demonstration of a development of Fi?

I've also read he did exceptionally well in maths in his days in the army(which he did so they could pay for him to go to university for sculpture lol). I think he was raised in a very J household, ESTJ (step)father, infj mother? Thats just a huge guess. He also seems extremely dedicated to his winery. All of that could go either way i suppose.. Who knows, however i did read Bill Hicks once supported them on tour. Now that would've been a kick ass show.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
--Pete Wentz (bass/lyrics) of Fall Out Boy is about as narcissistic-ENTP as it gets. You guys can laugh at me for it but I'm actually a fan of this band, and every lyric (plus the ridiculously over the top, almost self-mocking song title puns!) is dripping with double-meanings and sardonic venom. ("Make us poster boys for your scene, but we are not making an acceptance speech / I found the safest place to keep all our old mistakes / Every dotcom's refreshing for a journal update." "So hum hallelujah, just off the key of reason / I thought I loved you, it was just how you looked in the light / A teenage vow in a parking lot / Till tonight do us part / I sing the blues and you swallow them too.") and so on and so forth. He openly tells us repeatedly in the lyrics to his records that he is conning us for millions of dollars in record/ticket/merch sales, but the masses are "so stupid" that they keep buying it anyway--I can hardly think of something more attractive to the self-brilliance-obsessed ENTP.

Agreed on all points. Wentz's lyrics are very Ne and, whatever one might think of the band, quite clever. He could hardly be anything but ENTP. I get a kick out of Fall Out Boy, mainly for the sardonic lyrics (and, yes, ridiculously catchy music).

No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)

First, agreed that the They Might be Giants guys are likely NF. I could see thinking that Flansburgh is NT, but Linnell is definitely NF. Second, your description of INFJ Linnell's lyrics reminded me heavily of Morrissey's -- and as an INFJ, I really appreciate both, so that makes a lot of sense.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult.

Why do you think that ? The beauty in classical music played on a piano is something incredibly calming on the mind + soul.

Isy

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
5w4
It should also be noted that it's not the same being a musician that being successful in the world of music, maybe NTs just lack the discipline and patience required, or even the faith in their own project (faith being some kind of distant dream/happiness/objective/goal, though that'll be diferent for Ps or Js).

Maybe NTs keep the music for themselves xD.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI"]Cello Suite No.1 i[/YOUTUBE]

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there really a plethora of SJ musicians? News to me.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
Neil Peart gives me an awfully INFP vibe, but I haven't read/watched his personality all that much, so maybe not.
Neil Peart is almost certainly an INTP. He doesn't like being famous, and his songs are often philosophical as well as critical of religion, spirituality, and collectivism. In other words, he's reserved, skeptical, individualistic, and speculative.

DennisThePenetrator

MBTI Type
INTP
It should also be noted that it's not the same being a musician that being successful in the world of music, maybe NTs just lack the discipline and patience required, or even the faith in their own project (faith being some kind of distant dream/happiness/objective/goal, though that'll be diferent for Ps or Js).

Maybe NTs keep the music for themselves xD.

Every NT musician I've ever known writes and usually keeps their music for themselves. It only makes sense to do it that way as an NT. There's no point in compromising it for an audience because then you won't enjoy it. Music in its most raw pure form isn't watered down and compromised and that's why most professional NT musicians are the most authentic, innovating, and original. I don't think being successful in the world of music carries any weight with an NT, as long as they know they're doing something right.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Neil Peart is almost certainly an INTP. He doesn't like being famous, and his songs are often philosophical as well as critical of religion, spirituality, and collectivism. In other words, he's reserved, skeptical, individualistic, and speculative.

Fair enough. I'd say Geddy is definitely INFP, though, and Alex Lifeson comes across as rather ESTP, in the few interviews I've read.

What do you think?

Every NT musician I've ever known writes and usually keeps their music for themselves. It only makes sense to do it that way as an NT. There's no point in compromising it for an audience because then you won't enjoy it. Music in its most raw pure form isn't watered down and compromised and that's why most professional NT musicians are the most authentic, innovating, and original. I don't think being successful in the world of music carries any weight with an NT, as long as they know they're doing something right.

Nope, that's not an NT thing. It's an introvert thing.

ENTs have a much greater need to prove competence and be appreciated for it.

deleted
I'm a composer, yet I find music completely opposite of my NTness. I'm a different person there.

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
Fair enough. I'd say Geddy is definitely INFP, though, and Alex Lifeson comes across as rather ESTP, in the few interviews I've read.

What do you think?
Sounds about right. The few songs Geddy has written lyrics for seem to be introspective and emotion based, i.e. "Tears," and he seems to have a really dry sense of humor shared by many IN's.

As for Alex Lifeson, the lyrics he's written are more about learning from your experiences, etc. and aren't very emotion based. He also has varied interests including motorcycle riding and flying planes. So he seems pretty ESTP.

DennisThePenetrator

MBTI Type
INTP
Sounds about right. The few songs Geddy has written lyrics for seem to be introspective and emotion based, i.e. "Tears," and he seems to have a really dry sense of humor shared by many IN's.

As for Alex Lifeson, the lyrics he's written are more about learning from your experiences, etc. and aren't very emotion based. He also has varied interests including motorcycle riding and flying planes. So he seems pretty ESTP.

Best Alex Lifeson moment... YouTube - Trailer park boys - Closer to the heart

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Not to sound cocky, but I have a talent for songwriting. Send me a PM if you want me to post one.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
john lennon? i watched teh documentary the US vs John Lennon and he really came across to me as ENTJ. not the mention my NTJ dad connects with him so much i think he almost went gay just watching the doco. we both certainly talked about all his ideas zeaslousy afterwards, so i think at least he was NT as he was definatley to our taste. i read somewhere that john lennon was apparently intp. erm.. id concider it if i saw proof that he compleltly shut off when he left this interviews and performances.
he was pretty entj in the way he sort of led his wife around, "sit here and be a part of my grand idea!" and even if any of them were her idea, "interview me, im john lennon! i was a beatle! look at me!"

Samurai Drifter

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know, John Lennon never struck me as an NT. All his comments about how the world can function on love alone and all.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Nas is an INTP
and
Jay-Z a xNTJ.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For the guitarist who'se tuner's power supply broke, and the battery in the other, smaller, clip on one, has died who also can't afford to get a new one, this is for
"you,"
and me.

hehe, enjoy.

Maxcool131

MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
definitely tupac (in my opnion) if your into rap. I also think kurt cobain is but probably someone else has him as something different.