• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs feel misunderstood?

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do feel misunderstood at times, but I don't think you can ever completely understand someone, and I am not sure if you can ever completely understand yourself, regardless of how introspective you are.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
everyone feels misunderstood. some people really are, but because most people are better understood than they think, it means the ones who really are misunderstood get the rolled eyes treatment when they say it...

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
everyone feels misunderstood. some people really are, but because most people are better understood than they think, it means the ones who really are misunderstood get the rolled eyes treatment when they say it...

Not untrue! :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think I want to be understood any more. I mean, I don't deliberately want to be misunderstood, but I just don't think being understood is as important to me as it has been in the past, nor not being, as upsetting. I guess I've learned it's possible to still value and care about a person without understanding them completely. You don't need to know all the inner workings of a person's mind to get a general pattern of their MO and decide whether you dig it or not. Bearing which in mind, I don't feel like I need people to completely like, grok with me, to feel secure in being cared about and loved.

I figure, if I ever felt like I totally understood someone, there'd be nothing left to do, would there? I mean, how would they maintain my interest? It's those unanswered questions and curious inconsistencies that keep me interested in other people... the unturned stones and wondering what'll be underneath them...

Plus, simply understanding someone doesn't mean I necessarily agree or sympathise with them. People often assume that if someone gets where they're coming from, they'll agree.

Oh plus, I'm yet to meet the person whose sentences I can't complete within a day or two of knowing them... yet they still say nobody gets them, even though I know I totally do. I think for a lotta people, their criteria for judging whether a person gets them or not need considerable revision...

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I do feel as though most people really do not understand how I function, how I process information and how I make decisions. Although as others have mentioned I don't have a desire for all people to understand how I work. Keeping a barrier between myself and others casts me in an enigmatic light. And frankly I enjoy not really being understood and remaining a bit distant, except to a select few.

It is annoying when people make conjecture about me when they only see what I project onto them. It's especially for the F dominant people or those who can't really grasp abstract thought. And those who do not understand introverted people. Part of me wants to strike them down in a fit a logical furry but part of me knows that one will never convince an idiot of their own idiocy, as though it was part of the definition of being an idiot.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Only in some areas of my personal life, and in some specific situations. Most of the time, it's okay.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I feel misunderstood a lot. One thing I've realized about myself, though, is that I often don't reach out to people in a way that they could start to understand me. I just gravitate toward those that naturally "get" me (and those who I naturally get), and don't put a lot of effort in with the rest. So it's my own fault, much of the time.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I feel misunderstood a lot. One thing I've realized about myself, though, is that I often don't reach out to people in a way that they could start to understand me. I just gravitate toward those that naturally "get" me (and those who I naturally get), and don't put a lot of effort in with the rest. So it's my own fault, much of the time.

But why do you have to accommodate people? At least in my case, I just wish people would not make assumptions about myself based upon an interpenetration centered around them. I realize that people do not function that way and give them the space to do as they do, why can't others do the same for us? It's really quite simple.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If people are misunderstanding me too badly, then they are probably below my notice.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes, constantly. I don't expect that people should have the mental fucculties to be able to fathom just what it is that goes on within my head or why I act the way I do. Sometimes I just wish people would mature and be more accepting of other types, and see that often those different from you, or your expectations of what someone should be, are unique and generally have good intentions. But alas, maturity is a lot to ask for in this society...

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Misunderstood? Semantics.

On that note, though; the only people who will get enough time out of me to actually understand me are 1.) the people who ask, and 2.) the people I care about. People of group 2 are usually people of group 1, hence, most people who don't understand me I don't particarly care about. Nobody, however, can fully understand an individual without living their entire life, which is of course impossible. So it really depends on what you define as "misunderstood". People who think they understand you but don't? The whole thing sounds a lil' angsty.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
The kind of vibe / humor that I'm going for is often misunderstood. People also seem to think that I'm pissed a lot when I'm just joking.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
As I often think when I read Tallulah's posts: ditto!
I'd say the majority of the time it's my fault, but add that sometimes - especially if I don't care for the person - it's also intentional.

The kind of vibe / humor that I'm going for is often misunderstood. People also seem to think that I'm pissed a lot when I'm just joking.
Yup.