• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] The E in ENTP

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have taken the mbti test in many different places many different times over the years and have always come back an ENTP. My percentages have started to come down from the 90s but I just took it again and it had my E down to 55%..

So here's my question, with an ENTP, we're pretty off in our own world and while I tend to make myself spend time with people because I know I need it I also NEED a lot of time to be in my own brain. My thought after answering the questions was that every question like "you require a lot of alone time" I totally agreed but also every question like "you feel comfortable in a large crowd" I totally agreed.

I guess it just sorta feels like a flaw in the tests for ENTPs simply because it seemingly wouldn't be possible for an ENTP to be 100% E as that's diametrically opposed to the amount of time we need to plot and question life.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I remember several threads about this, some very recent. Perhaps a title search for ENTP would come in handy.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I remember several threads about this, some very recent. Perhaps a title search for ENTP would come in handy.

Didn't go past a title search but I did already do that prior to posting this.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have taken the mbti test in many different places many different times over the years and have always come back an ENTP. My percentages have started to come down from the 90s but I just took it again and it had my E down to 55%..

So here's my question, with an ENTP, we're pretty off in our own world and while I tend to make myself spend time with people because I know I need it I also NEED a lot of time to be in my own brain. My thought after answering the questions was that every question like "you require a lot of alone time" I totally agreed but also every question like "you feel comfortable in a large crowd" I totally agreed.

I guess it just sorta feels like a flaw in the tests for ENTPs simply because it seemingly wouldn't be possible for an ENTP to be 100% E as that's diametrically opposed to the amount of time we need to plot and question life.

I think it has been mentioned a couple of other times, but I find that the easiest way to explain it is that for the ENTP extraversion isn't necessarily about people, but rather ideas. We view discussion as a means to explore our ideas through constructive dialogue.

Yes, we do need time to reflect on these ideas and assess where we are in regards to our logical thought process, but we are still engaging in extraversion to help drive the process. It is for this reason that I don't believe that the tests are inaccurate, because as a quantitative measurement there is still a definitive cut off point at 50 percent.

The MBTI gives just an indication of a person's preferences, and from that point I think it is up to the individual to decipher and take from it what they want. The Introversion-Extraversion axis is always context specific regards of the number score, so I probably wouldn't trouble yourself so much with finding a definitive score.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think it has been mentioned a couple of other times, but I find that the easiest way to explain it is that for the ENTP extraversion isn't necessarily about people, but rather ideas. We view discussion as a means to explore our ideas through constructive dialogue.

Yes, we do need time to reflect on these ideas and assess where we are in regards to our logical thought process, but we are still engaging in extraversion to help drive the process. It is for this reason that I don't believe that the tests are inaccurate, because as a quantitative measurement there is still a definitive cut off point at 50 percent.

The MBTI gives just an indication of a person's preferences, and from that point I think it is up to the individual to decipher and take from it what they want. The Introversion-Extraversion axis is always context specific regards of the number score, so I probably wouldn't trouble yourself so much with finding a definitive score.

Very interesting.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Snowey1210 makes a valid point. I almost have to dream and think with other people to transmute my lead into gold; conversational alchemy. Other people catalyze what is inside me and it all comes bubbling out. I think it is because my thinking is so associative and my mind is normally difficult to quiet. So, around others my attention is focused.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Interesting stuff. So, ENTPs can come off as introverts?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting stuff. So, ENTPs can come off as introverts?

In social situations I imagine I often come off as a misanthrope; abrasive and aloof yet socially interacting. Other times, if I am feeling "on", I will be effusive and charming. It depends on my mood and the energy of the people around me. But, I would say that many people might see me as an introvert in the sense that I am not reliably warm or accessible.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
In social situations I imagine I often come off as a misanthrope; abrasive and aloof yet socially interacting. Other times, if I am feeling "on", I will be effusive and charming. It depends on my mood and the energy of the people around me. But, I would say that many people might see me as an introvert in the sense that I am not reliably warm or accessible.

I'm thinking this guy is an ENTP.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Pe75Zn6x8"]Sly Winkle[/YOUTUBE]

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

change that "i will be... charming" to "i will be more open, talkative, joking, and more often than not, it gets good feedback, laughs, and seems to keep the conversation and joking around flowing freely", and i'd completely agree with everything else you said.

i had to change the 'charming' as i'm apparently one of those freak ENTPs who simply can not bring myself to call me that. never could and never will. i tend to think the back and forth between myself and the others is what creates the situation, not me, or even mostly me. therefore, credit goes to everyone when it goes well.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
change that "i will be... charming" to "i will be more open, talkative, joking, and more often than not, it gets good feedback, laughs, and seems to keep the conversation and joking around flowing freely", and i'd completely agree with everything else you said.

i had to change the 'charming' as i'm apparently one of those freak ENTPs who simply can not bring myself to call me that. never could and never will. i tend to think the back and forth between myself and the others is what creates the situation, not me, or even mostly me. therefore, credit goes to everyone when it goes well.

I certainly agree with everything you said. I am just lazy and cannot find a better word to describe what happens. Maybe a better word would be... engaging? It is less pompous sounding. I am definitely not overconfident in social sitations and even quite vulnerable as you seem to be as well.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I certainly agree with everything you said. I am just lazy and cannot find a better word to describe what happens. Maybe a better word would be... engaging? It is less pompous sounding. I am definitely not overconfident in social sitations and even quite vulnerable as you seem to be as well.

oh, good, then it's not just me.

"engaging" does sound better, definitely. but, hmm, it still seems a little off. let me check something out. *grabs thesaurus*

omg. look at this. yeah, we need to keep looking.

see, it even bothers me when other "self-proclaimed entps" roll up in these forums and seriously start talking about how charming, great, and magnetic they are. frankly, it makes me ill and embarrassed to have the same letters under my avatar. i don't even want to be associated with them.

to me, if you're truly charming, you don't have to tell people. anymore than you have to tell others your skin color.

that term seems like something the other person should use as a description if they deem it fits (since charming THEM is the deciding factor of whether or not you are), not a term that one should use as a self-descriptor.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
oh, good, then it's not just me.

"engaging" does sound better, definitely. but, hmm, it still seems a little off. let me check something out. *grabs thesaurus*

omg. look at this. yeah, we need to keep looking.

see, it even bothers me when other "self-proclaimed entps" roll up in these forums and seriously start talking about how charming, great, and magnetic they are. frankly, it makes me ill and embarrassed to have the same letters under my avatar. i don't even want to be associated with them.

to me, if you're truly charming, you don't have to tell people. anymore than you have to tell others your skin color.

that term seems like something the other person should use as a description if they deem it fits (since charming THEM is the deciding factor of whether or not you are), not a term that one should use as a self-descriptor.

How about a very neutral term such as "engaged"? I know I can be charming though it also equally possible for me to be obnoxious and pedentic. So it often ends up just being a net zero.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sleezy's good. We need used car salesmen.

I can see that, but he just had one of those faces I wanted to smash.:D I will give him props for being confident & outspoken. At the end, he got the girl so...he did good. Lol.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I can see that, but he just had one of those faces I wanted to smash.:D I will give him props for being confident & outspoken. At the end, he got the girl so...he did good. Lol.

Do ENTPs often salivate over ENFPs?