• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP - Alone and Quiet Extravert?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
We're used to definitions of extraversion that describe social, bubbly people. In fact it makes it very easy when we come across gregarious and loud people to type them as Es. But the functions of Ne and Ti aren't particularly inviting to other people.

The INTP has been described as very introverted compared to other introverts as Dominant Ti has no interest in other people in a subjective sense and Auxiliary Ne may be a cause of bone idleness. But do the same functions reversed make the most "introverted" extravert?

I don't think so. I think it has to do with the definition of the term extravert. Bubbly and loud people are easy flags by which to recognise extraverts but they are by no means the only extraverted qualities.

Though sometimes given to INTPs, the quintessential image of an ENTP is the mad, obsessive professor. This makes them sound like loners, and in fiction at least it seems to be played out. Dr Emmet L. Brown from the Back to the Future trilogy lives a seemingly solitary existence. Captain Jack Sparrow, as expressive as he is, has no true friends and shares a large portion of his adventures by himself.

But the fictional ENTP character that inspired me to write this, leads a completely unshared existence. Of course I am talking about:

21477BP~Looney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-Posters2.jpg

Wile E. Coyote is mute and has nobody. Yet he is undoubtedly an extravert. As logical as he is, it is his trying out of ideas that is his most valuable asset. He skimps on planning and jumps right onto the flying torpedo every time.

But it just leaves me to question, what is that actually makes an extravert? And are many ENTPs wrongly typed as INTPs?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
na, u guys just wish you were entps.

there, u have ur answer

ps: i love the coyote -hugs-

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
And yet you're on the internet, at least I have an excuse. :tongue:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mort, most ENTPs I know IRL are very chill and weirdly "introverted". I'm not sure which function causes this action, but I suspect that Ne primary has something to do with it because my ENFP twin can be this way frequently.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I worked with an ENTP for some time, and for a while I did think he was an introvert as I found I initiated most conversations. But when he started keeping an "Arts and Crafts" box under his desk I knew I was wrong.

desiree

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5&2
Mort, most ENTPs I know IRL are very chill and weirdly "introverted". I'm not sure which function causes this action...

I get that way sometimes. Its a combination of paranoia and disenchantment when I realize that while other people may dislike me, their puny monkey brains are no match for mine.

Er. I mean, that sounds pompous.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get that way sometimes. Its a combination of paranoia and disenchantment when I realize that while other people may dislike me, their puny monkey brains are no match for mine.

Er. I mean, that sounds pompous.

If there were monkeys on this board, they would be deeply profoundly impressed with such grade A pomposity. :D

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Well it's true it's an interesting topic (I had to post something reckless first, my nature)
I , depend on myself ALOT, therefore I like to do things on my own, but I noticed that whenever something needs some kind of an effort I will do it socially, including walking the dog more than 5 mins or to con people into doing my work for me.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always thought that people were just complex machines with a bit of fuzziness thrown in. Hence, I have no use for these things. Whatever my logic can't do my Ne will resolve.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ENTPs hardly socialize or have as many people they regularly associate with (friends) as most other extroverts. And it's common for ENTPs to type as INTP and not realize it until they learn the difference via comparison of those of both types.

The E of the ENTP is more related to reciprocity than socialization. To compare, and consider the degree, not the absoluteness: The ENTP has a drive to affect people and the outside world in some way, even if indirectly, whereas the INTP has a drive to excel on his own terms, however nonsensical to anyone else the terms are.

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs hardly socialize or have as many people they regularly associate with (friends) as most other extroverts. And it's common for ENTPs to type as INTP and not realize it until they learn the difference via comparison of those of both types.

The E of the ENTP is more related to reciprocity than socialization. To compare, and consider the degree, not the absoluteness: The ENTP has a drive to affect people and the outside world in some way, even if indirectly, whereas the INTP has a drive to excel on his own terms, however nonsensical to anyone else the terms are.

I totally agree. I have many "friends", but there is only a small number of them, that I really enjoy being with. When I was younger, I only hung out with people, whose company I found enjoyable. I was told at that time, that people perceive me as distant and arrogant. That is why I now make an conscious effort to associate to people I don`t find so interesting. It is more socially acceptable.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi

I think the term extrovert is misunderstood, it doens't make you a social butterfly, its simply you perefer to share ideas out lound in order to help you shape them.

Most ENTP's I know are fairly shy and can be quite introspective, it's almost like they have learned to be sociable to cover that shyness - ie the go to the extremes of outthere to cover a rather shy inward character.

They need the sharing of ideas so learn to communicate externaly.

Just a thought

Lis

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Excellent tread! I am 80 plus percent on my E and at the same time I really like to be left alone. I have assumed it's because I am an only child though this thread makes me question that. I'm extremely social and will often start making large groups of people laugh in stores as I make fun of myself or joke about something. I can walk into a room of 20 people I've never met and tell a joke to them all without any reservation.

I tend to have a LARGE group of people accessible to me when I need a people fix but when I'm done I'm done. There are very few I'm close enough to that I always enjoy being with or talking to them.

The only exception to this is if I'm in a relationship. I tend to always enjoy being with the person I'm dating but that may have a lot to do with how selective I am in picking somebody to date.

I will say working for myself I do have times that it's dawned on me I haven't left my property (2 plus acres, hard to get bored when I have computers and welders and quads and so many toys) in a week or gone out with people in a month. I do need that time very much I just have to make myself take it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
We're used to definitions of extraversion that describe social, bubbly people. In fact it makes it very easy when we come across gregarious and loud people to type them as Es. But the functions of Ne and Ti aren't particularly inviting to other people.

Though sometimes given to INTPs, the quintessential image of an ENTP is the mad, obsessive professor. This makes them sound like loners, and in fiction at least it seems to be played out. Dr Emmet L. Brown from the Back to the Future trilogy lives a seemingly solitary existence. Captain Jack Sparrow, as expressive as he is, has no true friends and shares a large portion of his adventures by himself.

This post is very insightful. There is nothing more lonely than both needing and feeling alienated from other people. Though, this can be a very liberating solitude it leads to a certain ambivalence and detachment. A hunger for more and better.

I relate to this better than the normal definition for extraversion. So, ENTP are outwardly oriented, not necessarily people junkies? In my life, I have always felt the need to be impactful in some sense. Either with individual people or through what I do.

I totally agree. I have many "friends", but there is only a small number of them, that I really enjoy being with. When I was younger, I only hung out with people, whose company I found enjoyable. I was told at that time, that people perceive me as distant and arrogant. That is why I now make an conscious effort to associate to people I don`t find so interesting. It is more socially acceptable.

Working on engaging socially is worthwhile. I think it also helps to try to not overthink. So many times being around others triggers this self-appraisal that can be negative.

Most ENTP's I know are fairly shy and can be quite introspective, it's almost like they have learned to be sociable to cover that shyness - ie the go to the extremes of outthere to cover a rather shy inward character.

They need the sharing of ideas so learn to communicate externaly.

This is good also. Also, I think sometimes when you feel different from others you have a choice: either to assassinate the importance of other people and isolate yourself mentally or to try to adapt yourself to that basic aspect of the world, that human interaction is basic requirement for life. I think because so much of my early life was spent in environments where it would be hard for anyone to feel entirely comfortable (moving frequently or belonging to evangelical churches) that I learned early on to interface with people in the way that was most frictionless and yet to always, always keep my own counsel. I would be curious if other ENTP's were in similar circumstances.

I'm extremely social and will often start making large groups of people laugh in stores as I make fun of myself or joke about something. I can walk into a room of 20 people I've never met and tell a joke to them all without any reservation.

I tend to have a LARGE group of people accessible to me when I need a people fix but when I'm done I'm done. There are very few I'm close enough to that I always enjoy being with or talking to them.

The only exception to this is if I'm in a relationship. I tend to always enjoy being with the person I'm dating but that may have a lot to do with how selective I am in picking somebody to date.

I will say working for myself I do have times that it's dawned on me I haven't left my property (2 plus acres, hard to get bored when I have computers and welders and quads and so many toys) in a week or gone out with people in a month. I do need that time very much I just have to make myself take it.

I relate to everything you just said and have actually been looking around for land, as well, though I cannot yet commit to settling down where I am now. It is also very important to me to be with someone who is an equal partner exactly for the reason that it is difficult to get close with people and when I find someone I 'click' with, I want to share everything with them.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Synarch maybe you and I would be a good match! Are you open to gender reassignment surgery? Because I may be will to overlook the fact that you were born a man if you can make yourself look enough like a woman.

I relate to everything you just said and have actually been looking around for land, as well, though I cannot yet commit to settling down where I am now.

Good time to buy, what about finding something that you can later use as a rental? I guess that depends on where you live. I have two properties both with two houses on them so they positive cash flow every month. Well, if I had the motivation to find renters. God I hate that P sometimes!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Synarch maybe you and I would be a good match! Are you open to gender reassignment surgery? Because I may be will to overlook the fact that you were born a man if you can make yourself look enough like a woman.

Good time to buy, what about finding something that you can later use as a rental? I guess that depends on where you live. I have two properties both with two houses on them so they positive cash flow every month. Well, if I had the motivation to find renters. God I hate that P sometimes!

It's tempting. But, I am sort of attached to my penis.

I am actually tempted to own rental property, but I would be a horrible landlord and would have to hire a property management company to sort the details.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But, I am sort of attached to my penis.

I think technically it's attached to you though I can see how you're wording works equally well.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What a coincidence my ENTP friend was just complaining to me today again about not having any friends because she alienates people by being "cwazzyy." Especially no female friends. Well she says things like "You have a cute butt! Can I pinch it?" within 20 minutes of meeting someone, so...

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
What a coincidence my ENTP friend was just complaining to me today again about not having any friends because she alienates people by being "cwazzyy." Especially no female friends. Well she says things like "You have a cute butt! Can I pinch it?" within 20 minutes of meeting someone, so...

Yeah, I probably do the male equivalent of whatever that is. I do also alienate people by being too intense. For example, I went out with some friends to a bar last night and played air hockey and decided to "flame on" and not hold back. I won about seven games in a row, but then no one wanted to play me after that with all the pucks and "Fucks!" flying.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, I probably do the male equivalent of whatever that is. I do also alienate people by being too intense. For example, I went out with some friends to a bar last night and played air hockey and decided to "flame on" and not hold back. I won about seven games in a row, but then no one wanted to play me after that with all the pucks and "Fucks!" flying.

Totally know what you're both saying. I found out after meeting somebody new that when I was gone he said:

"God it's like the guy walked in, shoved his rooster (word has been changed there) in my mouth and every time I tried to talk he shoved it further down my throat"

I have worked hard at avoiding the shock and aww meetings but I still sorta feel like I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.