• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Defining Moments in the making of an NT.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
me too. and my immediate thought then, and still is, is "how can someone NOT want to?!?" i've read dictionaries, encyclopedias for everything i've been able to get my hands on, the physician's desk reference, DSMs, the list goes on and on (and continues to do so).

I think I love you :blush:

I really may one day rebuild a Ford flathead V-8, you know.

:whistling:

I was at a garage sale one day where the guy was giving a way a bunch of old car books, and I'll be damned if I didn't take a book on Ford flathead V-8s. Also scored a few on Chevy 350s and one or two on "Supercharging your street-rod". :D Space constraints were the only thing keeping me from taking the entire box...

I could build a street-rod some day, you never know. (Where's the "Pigs flying" smiley??) :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
[sigh]

I really may one day rebuild a Ford flathead V-8, you know.

exactly!! and, as we all know, the moment you get rid of that book, that's when the stars will align and your opportunity and motivation will arrive!

people just don't understand.

I think I love you :blush:

We all love di; it's just something we have to live with.

aww. i love you too. :wub:

and, again, an example of what i was talking about. where else would this kind of crap be a turn-on?

O

Oberon

Yes... and sadly, instead of getting busy, you would both sit there pouring through book after book after book... and having a great time!

di, I don't think Jen realizes that that's a kind of foreplay.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
di, I don't think Jen realizes that that's a kind of foreplay.

Sigh. Well, that is because C can't even glance sideways at a book without falling into a steady state of narcoleptic shock.

I haven't had good literary foreplay for, like, forever!

O

Oberon

Sigh. Well, that is because C can't even glance sideways at a book without falling into a steady state of narcoleptic shock.

I haven't had good literary foreplay for, like, forever!

Let me preface the next remark by admitting up front that I never read the V comics...but I saw the film last night with Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman, and thought it a very good piece of cinema.

I can't evaluate whether it was better or worse than or more or less faithful to the comics, but judged on its own merits I liked it.

Of course, there's more than a little of Guy Fawkes in me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me preface the next remark by admitting up front that I never read the V comics...but I saw the film last night with Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman, and thought it a very good piece of cinema.

I read the book first and hated much of the movie because of that (because the movie was watered/dumbed-down and trivialized). It was much like comparing an 20-year-old's notion of love versus a 40-year-old notion's: The twenty-year-old doesn't necessarily have a wrong or bad idea, but it's much more shallow and the forty-year-old's understanding is far deeper and Real, ideally.

At least the core passages were correct -- notably the interrogation section. That one really did capture the scene in the book.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Before my final exam in Symbolic Logic, I calculated my grade and the grade on the final that I would need to score for an A in the class. My previous exam score was a 47, and my overall grade was a 77.6. I did some calculations and learned that a 100 on the final would give me a 93.5 for the class, which would be rounded to a 94, the minimum for an A (90 to 93 = A-).

I had regularly been skipping the class or showing up late, so I knew that the professor wouldn't bump me to an A if I made anything less than a 100. I went to the library to study the day before the exam while telling myself that I absolutely had to go over every page and practice problem relating to the material on the final (proofs in predicate logic), but it only took me 45 or so minutes to glaze over the chapters and drift into boredom. I left the library and neglected to study for the rest of the night.

I woke up the next morning, went through my usual daily routine of bathing and eating and waiting for the bus. I kept my book in my arms and would occasionally take a glance at the pages hoping that the tidbits of information that I passed over would be both retained and useful. I made it to class on time, and the quirky Russian professor passed out the exams and left the room to do... whatever. In the end, all was for nothing. I failed the exam and the class...

:(

Nah, just kidding. I waited outside of the professors office after giving him the test. There was one other person waiting and he went over all that she did wrong with her while I waited for another 10 minutes. He then turned to me, didn't say a word and gave me a funny look. I guess that he didn't expect me to actually make a perfect score. Regardless, I gave him a good review on the course evaluations.

----

WTFpwning NF professors is pretty funny, and right up there with pwning the NF's from CAPS (Counseling & Psychiatric Services) and the SJ's from OSFA (Office of Student Financial Aid).

Last edited:

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
Before my final exam in Symbolic Logic, I calculated my grade and the grade on the final that I would need to score for an A in the class. My previous exam score was a 47, and my overall grade was a 77.6. I did some calculations and learned that a 100 on the final would give me 93.5 for the class, which would be rounded to a 94, the minimum for an A (90 to 93 = A-).

Ah memories.. In one of my courses junior year, we used to have 40 question quizzes where the class average would routinely be about 15-20 out of 40. I really didn't feel like dealing with it one day, so I went through and answered as many as I could without hassle. Of those 20ish, I felt reasonably sure that 15 or so were right. Now, out comes the statistics: 15/20 right + a 25% chance of randomly guessing the correct answer (multiple choice) from the remaining 20 = ABOUT THE CLASS AVERAGE.

When the dust settled, my total was like 18 or 19 correct and the class average ended up being a 17. Work smarter, not harder baby! :devil:

Trystorp

MBTI Type
INTP
My defining moment as an NT would be the visit of my uncle (ENTJ?). I don't recall exactly how old I was - probably 12 or so. I can still remember his enthusiasm for a book he had recently read, Julian Jayne's "The Birth of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind." My mother (eNFP) was strongly religious and I'd been chafing at church so this heresy was like an awaking. Shortly after his visit he sent me the 11 volume "Story of Civilization" by Will Durant as he knew I was intrigued by history. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to foster an odd duck such as myself at some point!

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Social defining moment:

When I was 15, I lived at a boarding school, and one day I left a library book about logic and fallacies lying around in the common area. A 20-year-old ENTP found the book and sat waiting until I came to retrieve it, at which point he quizzed me on it. It was the beginning of an intense friendship that confounded the school, since he was popular and I was a still an adolescent geek.

(Needless to say, I fell in love. I got to spend most evenings with him, but at the end of the night he would retire to his foxy (and madly jealous) ISFJ girlfriend's room. :cry: Way to teach an INTJ to work on her physical attractiveness!)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Very similar to digest's defining moments, but I also remember very clearly at age about 9 or 10... I was living with my mom and two of my sisters and our new step-dad, and I was always the oddball, but my Dad and brother used to sorta stick up for me a bit before the divorce, but now there was no stopping the onslaught of teasing and bullying from my sisters, and step-dad actually encouraged it while mom refused to acknowledge it happened.

I used to get really upset, but I remember one time when I ran up to my room and flopped onto the floor (as I didn't have a bed... and didn't question at the time howcome I didn't and everyone else did), and I began to cry but within seconds for some reason I just stopped myself and said to myself, "No, I'm not going to cry any more. It doesn't do any good. Emotions are pointless, they don't help anything."

And from that moment on, I never cried again, to the point where many years later I wanted to but found I couldn't.

But yeah, I was always reading and asking questions of the people I felt comfortable with. I was always THINKING questions, though often too shy to ask them, of everyone and everything else as well. I remember thinking that the stuff my parents' religion was teaching me was bullshit when I was about 9, and consciously deprogramming myself from that sorta automatic belief that you do when you're a kid, of asserting my intellect over those little niggles that used to happen when I went against that religion.

I was always learning languages though too. I've never heard of anyone else who read Old French and Anglo-Saxon before their age reached double figures. My interests were very broad and also quite obscure, and never anything like the usual interests for people my age or class.

Keoren

MBTI Type
INtP
I just stopped myself and said to myself, "No, I'm not going to cry any more. It doesn't do any good. Emotions are pointless, they don't help anything."

And from that moment on, I never cried again, to the point where many years later I wanted to but found I couldn't.

I was severely bullied at school and went through a similar moment. After that I didn't cry for five years and I tried to force all my feelings away - including the positive ones.

One day the dam then broke and I had to let it all out, but that didn't take away my T traits, it just balanced me.

Ferrus

MBTI Type
INTP
I wouldn't know really. My INTP nature has just always been there like a conspicuous mantle.

By the way ladypinkington, I hate to be a pedant, but I am pretty sure that Winston Churchill quote was said in the House of Commons to Lady Astor (the first women minister), rather than a member of a crowd.

Ferdinand

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I was a young kid (really young, like 3 or 4) I was obsessed with the solar system and I became somewhat notorious for it. A couple of years later, when I was about 9, I was invited by a teacher at my school to explain the makeup of the solar system to his class (which consisted out of 12-year olds). I remember them being genuinely impressed. My astronomy obsession by the way was the first of many consecutive obsessions I've had. I'm 18 now, and the relevant obsessions I've had thus far include astronomy, classical music, geography, architecture, Greek mythology, World War II and linguistics. Moreover I have a continuous obsession with history in general. In spite of this, especially during high school, I was the prototypical underachiever. I simply didn't care about the subjects I wasn't interested in, and somehow always refused to really do my best for them. My favourite subject was history, and the subject I detested most was mathematics. But this is all getting kinda off topic.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
In retrospect, there have been many "defining moments," but I didn't recognise them for that at the time. The first conscious realisation was at 18 when I read Paul james' INTP profile.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
I wouldn't know really. My INTP nature has just always been there like a conspicuous mantle.

By the way ladypinkington, I hate to be a pedant, but I am pretty sure that Winston Churchill quote was said in the House of Commons to Lady Astor (the first women minister), rather than a member of a crowd.

Oh thank you for the correction, I was quoting on memory as I had heard it told to me and didn't realize. You're right, It was Nancy Astor. That makes it even better! LOL! I wonder how many purist history buffs I have offended,lol.
It is best to be accurate- especially when quoting someone. Thank you very much!