• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Defining Moments in the making of an NT.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Have you ever had a defining moment that defined you as an NT?

For example, was there any book or conversation that really sparked your imagination like no other?

Or was there a defining moment that caused you to be interested in science, philosophy, journalism ect...?

If so could you share what the event was and the effect it had on you?

I am interested in defining moments in people's lives and I was curious what that would look like for an NT.

I'm having one now, but I can't talk about it just yet.:D

MBTI Type
INxJ
The very first time they correct a teacher for something other than pronunciation of their own name.

My guess.

I actually corrected my gifted and talented teacher about his spelling on the chalk board in front of the whole class.

My defining T moment was in Kindergarten. I went to check out Jules Verne books from the library. The librarian told me I couldn't possibly be capable of reading books that level yet. I didn't say anything to her because she was the adult, but I distinctly remember thinking she was ignorant because I had been reading similar level material for a year and a half.

Edit: I'm not a brain or anything. My parents pushed my education earlier than normal.

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was nine, at the wedding of my mother's cousin. I was going through my first animal taxanomy phase, and my mom's cousin worked with primates. She had a lot of other friends that did stuff concerning animals.

I approached four zoologists at a table, told them about monotremes and the giant pangolin. They thought I was making it all up. If I had the damn book where I got it from with me, I would have shown it to them.

Oddly, the situation didn't make me angry. I was at a loss, though.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Basically always getting into "logical" debates from a very early age whenever I got in trouble. I also picked up languages pretty quickly and would always prefer the company of adults who had something to teach me, or science books about whatever fascinated me at the time.

Ditto. I'll add that there was little discretion used in getting into these logical debates. I had little respect for authority derived from position, which meant that I visited principals' offices from kindergarten through the last year of high school. "But why?", "but that doesn't make sense", and "wouldn't it work better if..." were my anthems. I remember myself as a good kid, but not everybody would agree :devil: I also was inseparable from things like encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc. and had no interest in dolls, etc. I had homemade labs before I got into classes where I could play with the real stuff :banana:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also was inseparable from things like encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc. and had no interest in dolls, etc. I had homemade labs before I got into classes where I could play with the real stuff :banana:

*chuckles at his own memories of encyclopedias and his mother's reactions to his experiments* :D

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Parent's do not take kindly to their children attempting to make light bulbs, but instead making a (very, very, very weak) rail gun and nearly burning the house down. I have once almost blown myself, my siblings and half my cousins up while demonstrating to them electrolysis. I also once left a bowl full of water and rotting vegitation to see what happened.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:dont: bad kitty. At least mine endangered no human lives. :laugh:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:dont: bad kitty. At least mine endangered no human lives. :laugh:

Eh, my more daring experiments were during a time when I placed little value on life. I was a very bored and depressed grade schooler.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
I invented two languages by the time I was 15. And by languages I mean they were developed to the point of decent communicability. I even developed individual grammatics for each, including writing patterns and explanations for dipthong use.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I was seven years old, I was obsessed with dinosaurs and dolphins, and collected everything and read about them. I could spend hours reading in the encyclopedia about that.
In my early school years, I never talked to my classmates because I had virtually nothing in common with them. In recess I sat in a bench and read, while my classmates played childish games. And I disliked them because I found them 'slow minds'.
Of course, I liked talking with adults, because they always said 'interesting things'

And my first dream job was being a sea biologyst.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I had a hand-drawn 'map' of the school so I could find my kindergarden class on the first day of school. I always drew maps for everything, places outside with things on them like 'The lightning tree' and The Triangle (where three trees had fallen in a triangle shape). I also mapped out dungeons and places in old video and computer games.

I started recording the locations of bombs in Minesweeper and putting them in Excel sheets to try to figure out of there was a set number of re-used patterns or if it was truly random.

I collected rocks to my mothers great frustration, and kept them in a big box, separated into smaller squares... grouping them by different things: Ones with Fossils, Ones that had sparkles, Ones that were different colors, etc etc etc.

I read constantly, and loved organizing my home 'library' all the time. My Mom had to ground me from my books to get my attention, since nothing else worked. When she would tell me I should 'go outside and play' I would smuggle a book outside in my jacket.

I wore the weirdest clothes to school, and could never understand why people would laugh at my ensemble.

I won a Dictionary for being the school Spelling Bee winner

I spent a LOT of time with the principle for not doing homework. It was pointless in my opinion.

I LOVED writing poetry (and still do) as a kind of challenge or word-game, as well as one of the only forms of self-expression of FEELINGS that I could find. (Not even necessarily MY feelings, just any feeling in general. I would take what I thought the feeling should be, and try to create it on paper)

I excelled at classes where subjective answers (like an essay question) were often seen, but could not do well with Math or Chemistry, which required a more A -> B -> C kind of thinking.

I sucked at sports, but anything that I could memorize as a 'routine' I was phenominal with and would nail to perfection. (Color Guard routines and Tap Dancing/Clogging)

I spent HUGE amounts of effort organizing my Spanish Notebook/Binder in highschool, and kept it from year to year, building as I went. Languages were super-easy and something I excelled at, along with computers. (I work in IT now and used to work as a Bilingual Translator)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maps are fun! When I was at summer camp I once drew up a map of the base and a few of the staff were a little creeped out about the accuracy. A week later someone bought it off me to use for planning something; a few day after that the cannon out front of HQ was painted our company's color. LOL!

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I always liked math, and getting the one-up on being smarter than people. And whenever I meet someone smarter than me, I really like them ^_^.

The J came about early on in college when I realized I liked to do everything efficiently, and the E even later in a leadership course in which I simply took control of my group because I could, and found that I liked it. A LOT.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Floyd->Zeppelin/other->Literature. Discovering I could concentrate these things with isolation (not knowing at the time that it was actually interdependent to something of a conventional life).

Now I am an INTP that procrastinates even thought.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Or was there a defining moment that caused you to be interested in science, philosophy, journalism ect...?

String Theory (Kaluza-Klein) was a big inspiration as a kid.

Intradimensionality is a hefty coin to carry; M-Theory offers a purse of possibilities...

Jasdevi

i have been interested in astronomy since young and geography, science- biology, chemistry, shapes, literature .

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
I got three people (two of them I'd just met) to concede their points almost simultaneously using tight logic and flowery rhetoric while hanging outside of the library at college.... I was high... it was then I realized I was an NT fo' sho'.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I got three people (two of them I'd just met) to concede their points almost simultaneously using tight logic and flowery rhetoric while hanging outside of the library at college.... I was high... it was then I realized I was an NT fo' sho'.
College kids though? That's kid stuff. Literally! :drool: